Troina! Fantastico!

Okay I think it's the mission I was thinking of, but it's been a while since I played it.

It's a difficult one for sure.

What I did was keep a few MG teams down on the right flank - and keep most other units on the left. I drew fire from the MG's on the right whilst laying a vertical smoke barrage on the left - I ran a few units up the left flank. Heavy artillery bombardment horizontal across the top. Most enemy units are in defilade if I recall which causes problems when you reach the top. It's that part that is harder.

When you get there post another pic and let me know your progress. I enjoyed this mission as far as I recall.

OK finally won it. (total victory, 44% casualties, Elite difficulty)

Spoiler

I used all my big guns plus one of the off board mortars for a massive pre-bombardment. I did not use any smoke. At D+1 minute I then Ran all three platoons up the left isde to the defilade position about half way up. From there it was just a slog. (Engineers came in handy breaching wall of the Fortress). The key was I did not have severe losses during my Rush during the barrage.

The only reason I won was that I knew where to place the initial barrage from all my previous failures. I think the scenario would be better if the Author allowed some % of initial intelligence to enable a better placement of the initial barrage. Because the start up area is under enemy observation, the initial barrage has to be highly effective to have a chance in this scenario.

• 1 month later...

At Last!A minor victory in the second mission of this campaign.Even though i was playing through version 2(the easy version) for about the twentieth time,my guys still got brutally mauled by artillery taking that bloody hill.A great scenario but what a bitch to get through.

"Ok guys,now for the next hill.......................................................guys?..........

Where the hell has everyone gone?" :D

I am close to winning the second scenario, having taken the hilltop. I just need to clean up the units I managed to bypass and take the last objective.

I am not sure I've accomplished anything though, as I don't know if I have enough troops to move on. I've still got two of three M3's and my CO's and FO survived (so far), but the grunts have already taken 40-50% casualties with more misery to come.

The story was the same for Troina 1 - I eventually won, but with over 60 killed and wounded and some dead vehicles.

Both of these companies return for later scenarios that sound just as hard as the first two; is there any hope of continuing with these depleted units?

Alternately I can re-fight these battles and get better results via knowledge of enemy positions (and outright cheating), but that would still take a lot of time. I have already spent as much time as I care to dodging artillery strikes. If that's what I have to do, though, I'm not going to bother finishing my current attempt at Troina 2.

I'll try not to spoil this too much for you.There's still a surprise or two once you reach the top.Don't worry about the units you've bypassed.Just take and hold the hill.There's an area behind it ,take and hold that and that area to your left as you look back down the hill.Hold those three and you should just scrape a win.Don't be too keen to take out enemy once you've got to the top,they'll just pick you off and drop arty on you.As i found out :D

You should be okay in this campaign for reinforcements,saying that i'm trying to get past scenario three.Much easier but just as nasty as you'll see.Have fun bud ;)

Ah - reinforcements. That's all the encouragement I need to finish up.

I hadn't thought of just sitting tight and letting time run out. That may be the way to go. I've got three of five objectives already and another one is just smoking craters that I can occupy at will.

I've still got some artillery left, so I'll amuse myself with that while the time passes. If I can't run them off the last objective with that, I'm not going to get in a big firefight over it. My guys are too traumatized to shoot straight anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also fighting up that hill on the second mission, I realised early on (after eeer 3 tries) that slow was indeed the way to go. Used to play a lot of CMx1 and it really grips me now how one sloppy waypoint or massing of troops can knock them all out of working order.

The pixeltruppen are, however, fighting just fine with support and a healthy volume of fire and of course early withdrawals when spotting rounds fall. Excellent missions thus far indeed.

• 7 years later...
8 hours ago, AlanSA said:

The updated version or the original?

Updated version. Got stuck in the original second battle several times since its release.

So a few months back I downloaded the updated version, started all over - and got stuck halfway up Hill 1209 again.

Gave it another try a few days back - and had a blast.

Now I'm looking forward to my parade😁

On 9/19/2021 at 10:39 PM, umlaut said:

parade.jpg?dl=1

ha ha congratulations !!!
this battle is a nightmare: Hamburger hill, "Le Chemins des dames"
I myself had the impression of climbing the slope under the fire of the enemy in the middle of the ricochet of the bullets on the rocks, hell !!!
your drawing is superb
hurray hurray