Allied HQ's

So I have a number of questions in regards to HQ's.

1. Can British HQ's commonwealth or otherwise provide supply to US forces? Can US HQ's provide supply to British forces?

2. It appears the US HQ's can command and increase the morale of Canadian forces? Can they command Austrialian forces?

3. Can other allied forces (non-Russian) draw supply from Russian cities? Can an HQ provide this?

4. Can you string a combination of US and British HQ's to increase supply to forces?

Thanks

Hello ^^ ,

Some answers for you:

1. Yes to both: US and UK share supply.

2. Not sure here as I never tried that, sorry (but Hubert or Bill will come to the rescue, no doubt :) ).

3. No, same for Axis: Japan doesn't share supply with Germany or Italy BUT Germany and Italy do.

4. Yes, since US and UK share supply. You have an US HQ popping in Australia after US war entry, you can see how it works there.

It also works for US units in China (you have popping air units and an HQ coming there by event around 1944).

Slightly different topic but related. Why can't Free French forces use upgrades from the US? Historically they were almost exclusively outfitted with US gear. It would make more sense to create and use the Free French forces if this was the case.

Hello Baron :) ,

- Someone asked that before but I don't remember the answer, maybe an engine feature or something thet didn't allowed it easily but I can be wrong.

- Still, I agree it would be better to toy with Free French research but I usually say to myself that modernized units are part of US forces while regular "blue" FF units unable to upgrade are "light colonial troops" without much men or equipment sent to secondary fronts or used to divert axis focus.

- The good thing is that you can "waste" FF corps to recon with amphibious landings because they're cheap ^^ .

2. It appears the US HQ's can command and increase the morale of Canadian forces? Can they command Austrialian forces?

Hi

Yes they can. There's a setting in the editor which we use to determine whether or not a Major's HQs can command units belonging to a friendly Minor power, and the US HQs can command Australians.

Hi

The Free French are under British management, so they require British upgrades.

The problem being that the US is rarely in the war when France falls, so the Free French - being founded by De Gaulle in the UK - have to come under British control.

And, initially, the FF were equipped and organised along British lines. In fact, right into 1945 some elements of the FF - especailly SAS and Commandos - continued to be styled and equipped like the British. Simiarly, NZ ground forces were always equipped along UK lines, but in the Pacific the RNZAF were equipped with US aircraft (Catalinas, P-40s, Corsairs, and such like).

I wonder. Would it be practical and/or useful to allow minor powers to 'switch' allegances? So the FF, for example, would usually start out as British Allies, because the US isn't in the war. But once the US joins the game then the FF could purchase the right to switch allegance to the US, and from that point on FF forces would have the ability to buy to US upgrades (i.e., they'd have to buy the ability to use US upgrades, then pay again to actually upgrade). At the same time, the resource points for that nation would switch to the purchasing power - FF would become a US minor ally, rather than a British one, for example. The purchase price for switching would have to be reasonably high (perhaps dependant on the territory points value and the total force pool, and maybe the number of units currently in play) to prevent frequent and/or a-historical switching back and forth.

This is probably best as some sort of editor switch, that a designer can enable or disable on a country by contry basis. Should Hungary be able to switch from German to Italian control? Dunno, I could argue that either way, so leave that to the designer. Should NZ or Australia be able to become a US minort ally? Dunno, I could argue that either way, so leave it up to the designer.

Actually, the FF provide a particular conundrum. For a lot of the war, the various FF and Vichy factions are typically off in Africa, or South East Asia, or other colonial locales. But once France is reconqured, all those miscellaneous FF and Vichy forces and 'nations' really should be placed back under French control. I think.

I think that if a minor Ally such as India is conquered but then liberated by US forces then the US can pay for and equip Indian units. I am not 100% sure of this as I am almost always messing about with my own variant scenarios but I think it is the case.

Until the new version of SC GC some time ago the French and Italians were treated as minor allies and there were only 6 major countries. In some aspects, and research is one of these, this worked better.

regards

Mike

I think that if a minor Ally such as India is conquered but then liberated by US forces then the US can pay for and equip Indian units. I am not 100% sure of this as I am almost always messing about with my own variant scenarios but I think it is the case.

Hi Mike

That is correct, the liberator takes control.

Bill