Sign in to follow this  
PlatCmdr_too

Issues With New Radeon HD

Just purchased a HP Envy dv7 using the AMD Radeon™ HD 7640G graphics card and am able to start the game but have issues with soldiers missing bodies, where guns "float" on the screen and am unable to "End" the game from the title screen and exit back to the desktop as the screen remains frozen. Help!

Unfortunately it appears you have run into a bug that we have not been able to figure out as of yet. A number of players have recently run into this problem when they upgraded to Windows 8. However Windows 8 is NOT the cause of this (though we have seen more reports involving this OS lately). A number of players are able to play using this OS.

As far as we can guess at this point it appears to be some sort of strange permissions issue. Changing the file permissions or the 'admin run level' does NOT change this issue. It has been reported as a bug, but the 1.11 patch at this point does NOT address this issue.

Glad to hear this is an issue that is at least being addressed (?), although I just order CMFI and I assume then that I will be dealing with the same issue, or does it not affect that game?

All reports so far have been just of CMBN. There is a mild possibility that due to the location of the files in CMFI, it MAY NOT run into this issue.

Interestingly the CMBN Demo works fine in all of the occasions I have heard of the issue.

We haven't offered refunds for such issues in the past, so I doubt one will be offered. The issue has been reported as a major bug, so hopefully a fix will be engineered. It is very peculiar and random problem and I don't know if 1.11 will be offered with a fix or if it will have to wait until CMBN 2.0 is released.

Okay, given that this problem seems to be linked to Windows 8 and not my graphics driver, would an install of Windows 7 along with an install of Windows 7 compatible driver software for my current graphics card perhaps be a solution? I'm not too happy with the layout of Windows 8 anyhow.

Possibly, but I'm not sure. Windows 8, in and of itself, isn't the full cause of the problem. You MAY run into the same problem with reinstalling Windows 7 and reinstalling the game. I have seen this problem reported a bit more frequently with Windows 8 (and can reproduce it on one particular Windows 8 Preview install), but I have had reports of this problem since CMBN 1.0 and all OSes (PC and Mac).

Reinstalling Windows 7 and CMBN again (which will use up another activation) would be an interesting experiment that may or may not work out.

The problem, as far as the developers have guessed at this point, is some sort of strange permissions issue. However this doesn't appear to be a simple file permissions issue that can easily be rectified. All files can be set to the same permissions as a working install and the issue will remain. Video drivers also seem to have made no difference since this issue occurs for both AMD/ATI and Nvidia.

I tested a fix the other day that has fixed this issue on the one computer I saw it personally on (a Windows 8 Preview install). I believe that this fix will be included with the 1.11 patch. I don't know WHEN that patch will be released, but I'm GUESSING that it may be within a month.

Yes, there will be a 1.11 patch that current CMBN/Commonwealth user will be able to install once it is released.

CMBN 2.0 is a 'paid' upgrade that will bring CMBN/Commonwealth to the current graphical standard of CMFI. I believe the cost for CMBN 2.0 will be pretty reasonable (US$5.00 - $10.00, I'm not sure of the exact price). CMBN 2.0 WILL be necessary for the Market Garden module since all artwork going forward will be of the 'Engine 2.0' variety (that's primarily a lot of what CMBN 2.0 will have in it, updated artwork that utilizes the bump-mapping, etc.).

To my knowledge the 1.11 patch will be released BEFORE CMBN 2.0.

Yes, there will be a 1.11 patch that current CMBN/Commonwealth user will be able to install once it is released.

Any idea about a time line or what this patch will fix? Hopeing that it will solve the barbed wire bug and other game start freezes I've noticed with some scenarios.

Thanks-

I don't know when the 1.11 patch will be released. I'm GUESSING that it may be about a month, but that may not be accurate.

Yes, the 'barbed wire' bug will be addressed. I'm not sure of the other 'game start freezes' you mention, being fixed.

I'm not sure what the issues are. They may all be from defensive positions with wire. IT's just that I can't get them going to tell so I was just guessing.

Thanks for the info!

Sign in to follow this