Sign in to follow this  
Paulverisor64

Norton Users: Don't apply patch yet!

I applied the Latest Combat Mission Fortress Italy patch.

I could not launch the game however as the application was "Blocked".

As far as I can see there is no way to unblock something that is blocked by Norton.

I even tried excluding the Combat Mission file location from scans unsuccessfully.

I uninstalled the game and tried re-installing it. The base game installed without a hitch. Unfortunately the patch just will not install.

I have submitted a support ticket to Norton and will keep people posted on how to solve this issue when I hear back.

Battlefront; could you please contact Norton on this issue and try to resolve it?

This is all I am going to say about Norton users,

chipper1.gif

cause I gave up trying to pass on my advice about it... eventually on your own time, sometime in the future, I am sure... all will be good after you ditch it.

It is frustrating isn't it?

Fire up Norton then click on tasks. Another box will come up Click on check security history. This will show the suspicious CMFI.exe file as having been quarantined. Click on the recent history bar near the top and a pull down tab appears. Click on quarantine and another box comes up with the CMFI.exe file in it. You now have the option of de-quarantining the file.

I hope this helps,

SLR

It is frustrating isn't it?

Fire up Norton then click on tasks. Another box will come up Click on check security history. This will show the suspicious CMFI.exe file as having been quarantined. Click on the recent history bar near the top and a pull down tab appears. Click on quarantine and another box comes up with the CMFI.exe file in it. You now have the option of de-quarantining the file.

I hope this helps,

SLR

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately in this case the fix was not quite so easy as to "Unquarantine" the file as the file was "Blocked". This was not easy at all to figure out as you can't directly unblock anything.

Thankfully someone found a way to "Unblock" the file.

This is the method that got things up and running.

1) Disable Norton AV autoprotect (right click icon to find this)(thank you Schrullenhaft)

2) Install CMFI patch

By doing step 1 and 2 it will change the Norton defense mechanism from "Blocking" to "Quarantining" the file.

3) Enable Norton AV; this will bring up message of Norton blocking Trojan virus.

4) Go into Security History click on the "Quarantined" file. Click to restore this file.

I believe a good measure to take beyond this would be to "Exclude items from scans" which is found under Settings/Antivirus.

From my understanding the exe file you would need to exclude is found under C:\Program Files (x86)\Battlefront\Combat Mission Fortress Italy

The bottom line is that there is a way to get Combat Mission Fortress Italy up and running even if the install is "blocked".

This is all I am going to say about Norton users,

chipper1.gif

cause I gave up trying to pass on my advice about it... eventually on your own time, sometime in the future, I am sure... all will be good after you ditch it.

LOL Perhaps the thread subject should be Norton users, don't load patch until you ditch Norton.

I use MSE and have yet to have an issue with any CM game and have a lot fewer virus issues. I ditched several other programs when I knew I had a virus and they didn't remove it. Got MSE, cleaned my system AND I get to play CM.

I applied the Latest Combat Mission Fortress Italy patch.

I could not launch the game however as the application was "Blocked".

As far as I can see there is no way to unblock something that is blocked by Norton.

I even tried excluding the Combat Mission file location from scans unsuccessfully.

I uninstalled the game and tried re-installing it. The base game installed without a hitch. Unfortunately the patch just will not install.

I have submitted a support ticket to Norton and will keep people posted on how to solve this issue when I hear back.

Battlefront; could you please contact Norton on this issue and try to resolve it?

I posted the fix not long ago, step by step probably under a subject of Norton, and btw I had no trouble with the patch. If you go into Norton "settings" you can override any blocking.

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately in this case the fix was not quite so easy as to "Unquarantine" the file as the file was "Blocked". This was not easy at all to figure out as you can't directly unblock anything.

Thankfully someone found a way to "Unblock" the file.

This is the method that got things up and running.

1) Disable Norton AV autoprotect (right click icon to find this)(thank you Schrullenhaft)

2) Install CMFI patch

By doing step 1 and 2 it will change the Norton defense mechanism from "Blocking" to "Quarantining" the file.

3) Enable Norton AV; this will bring up message of Norton blocking Trojan virus.

4) Go into Security History click on the "Quarantined" file. Click to restore this file.

I believe a good measure to take beyond this would be to "Exclude items from scans" which is found under Settings/Antivirus.

From my understanding the exe file you would need to exclude is found under C:\Program Files (x86)\Battlefront\Combat Mission Fortress Italy

The bottom line is that there is a way to get Combat Mission Fortress Italy up and running even if the install is "blocked".

In the time it took you to compose that post, Paulverisor64, you could have uninstalled Norton and downloaded and installed... well, anything else.