Perplexed in Perm

A very strange thing happened in an email game of the Russian Civil War I'm playing at the moment.

Playing as the Whites, I had three units round Perm - one across the river next to Perm, the other two on the south side of the river. I attacked the Red unit (a level 10 corps) with the unit next to the city, and then went to swop it with one of the other units by pressing the shift key.

Instead of swopping places with my unit, the unit next to Perm moved straight into the city; the Red unit simply disappeared. What I must have done is clicked on the Red unit instead of my own by mistake, but I suspect the Red unit wasn't supposed to disappear into thin air...

Wow! What a brilliantly executed overrun tactic Karhu. While your two units pinned down and diverted the Red unit, your maneuver unit simply overcame the Red resistance with a flanking attack and occupied the city as the enemy unit melted away under the heavy pressure.

Excellent experimentation Hubert, what a great feature to add to SC3. Ha! I bet you thought we wouldn't notice....... oh..oh...yeah..it's a bug!

Wow! What a brilliantly executed overrun tactic Karhu. While your two units pinned down and diverted the Red unit, your maneuver unit simply overcame the Red resistance with a flanking attack and occupied the city as the enemy unit melted away under the heavy pressure.

Excellent experimentation Hubert, what a great feature to add to SC3. Ha! I bet you thought we wouldn't notice....... oh..oh...yeah..it's a bug!

I have to admit I did laugh when I saw what had happened, especially as Perm is so very difficult to take otherwise.

Of course I offered my opponent to do the turn again, but to his eternal credit he refused, saying "No, that's just fortunes of war, and the officers have already been shot".

Mind you, he's Polish, so he doesn't have much of a soft spot for the Bolsheviks...

Update on the overrun manoeuvre - it seems to be more widespread than just Perm.

In the Brusilov scenario, my opponent as the Russians was able to do the same thing against an Austro-Hungarian corps entrenched in front of Brody. He attacked the corps, then was able to overrun it using the swop feature. The Austro-Hungarian unit disappeared, but was not listed as a casualty in the end of turn summary.

Reminds of a different game I once played. I was in playing a buddy in a NCAA football game. I hit his QB as he was throwing. The result: he turned and threw the ball about 50 yards behind the line of scrimmage. I recovered the "fumble" and ran it into the end zone for the winning score!!

Boy was my buddy pissed :)