What a blast.

Just recently bought the game--and have never played a Strategic Command game.

Fired up Megiddo, just randomly. Looked a little at the manual. Played on Beginner and got a tactical victory. So much fun. Great scenario to start with.

Intuitive movement and combat.

Not too long.

With this scenario, not a lot of MP decisions, and have a variety of units to play with.

You can feel the history! Took me awhile to realize the "Lawrence of Arabia" angle, now I am charmed by it, and understand incredibly more about this WW1 theater than I knew before.

Now I am fiddling with, I think, Intermediate--whatever the next level up is.

I am looking at those "morale" and other numbers. How to use planes? Learn quickly to start--takes a long time to master. I keep re-running the scenario, trying different approaches. There is true gaming knowledge and magic, in my opinion, in the many tough design decisions that I see. This is a very high level synthesis of reality, brought to a game, an keeping it fun.

Just a blast.

• 4 years later...

Five years down the road and I'll second Rankorian's experiences, they beautifully sum up my own.....It's a game you can pick up really fast and then spend years mastering, a true credit to its designers, I am genuinely very impressed.

I too find myself wanting to re-fight battles several times to test out new theories.....This is wonderfully refreshing after my rather mixed experiences with the recent CMx titles, which quite often leave me feeling damned frustrated and slightly relieved when each battle finally comes to an end. 

Tonight though I'm back off to the Pacific, to see if I can get my Australians and Americans across New Guinea just a bit quicker.....Catch the Japanese in a really nasty trap!  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead