The complete Eurofacation of CMSF

Funny that this should come up. Besides working on my myriad projects and mods for ARMA 2, I have recently finished some Modern Russian Infantry reskins for the Syrians. I made this because I was playing the old Battle for Grozny campaign made by some french guy, forget his name at the moment, but nevertheless it was a good little campaign. I wanted some authentic troops to go with it too.

nyVcV.jpg

zmlpS.jpg

h2tAy.jpg

iUQQu.jpg

I would be happy to donate these to whoever is working on this mod. The entire complement of infantry is filled, from conscripts in Afghanka and older pattern VSR, to motor-rifles and paratroopers in VSR + Flora pattern, and finally Spetsnaz in SS Partizan Summer overalls.

The motor-rifles and airborne have 6B5 body armor overalls, not quite as modern as can be, but rather circa 2009-2010.

I have already incorporated the CMA voices into the mod so they speak russian.

Again, keep in mind that in game terms only Syrian SF actually have body armour (don't know about Syrian Airborne) This makes a HUGE difference in the survivability of infantry in game. In Baba Amr, SBurke's regime infantry are able to run through fusillades that annihilate my (unarmoured) uncons.

Well, not too far. That one guy nailed 3 of my men... :(

He was not captured alive...at least not for long.

The only Syrians sporting body armor - if any at all - are the Syrian SpecOps guys. Even the Airborne look like ordinary Syrian infantry.

Maybe we cold do some kind of model swap for the Regulars - it's worth a try.

Regrettably, the effects of model swapping are solely visual; the game continues to "see" unarmoured troops even if they appear to be wearing flak vests. It wouldn't matter so much if it wasn't so impactful on survival. If you don't give them armour the NATO infantry will chew them and spit them out in any remotely even fight. Which doesn't at all reflect likely modern reality. Nor does that unsplittable squad nonsense, frankly. If I was a Russian player I'd feel pretty ticked off. Use the modded SF squads and model swap in the mech guys so you don't have to redo your mods -- you won't regret it.

Oh, and one of the stock Syrian faces -- mustached -- looks pretty Russian. The Rooskies like their 'staches.

To err on the side of realism, KLMK (silver letter, or the silver splotches on green background on the majority of the screens) and Les (the woodland looking one on the first screenshot) are not widely issued to niether airborne or army units, nor are they widely issused to army "spetsnaz" units either.

Flora, digital flora, or VSR is instead. As for army "spetsnaz" your safer with either Flora, KZS, Surpat, or digi-flora.

True story.

• 4 weeks later...

I have "stolen" some skins for the mod but hardly a unit does not have my personal touch. I have skinned uniforms and vehicles but I have lost track of some of the author’s work that I have used. Quite frankly it would take me longer to give credit the original author than I would care to spend. Personally I could care less about credit for anything I do. I figure once you release something for free, who cares what happens to it. I have used some Marco Bergmann and Mord stuff, even some Syrope etc. Point is the darned game is 5 years old and I think I ought to be able to release an all-encompassing Euro conversion without having to worry about incorporating a lengthy txt giving credit to the original authors. Maybe I am just whining here as the Bergmann stuff is so good, he should be mentioned and the guy who came up with “No cage” Stryker’s.

• 2 weeks later...

An update after a lengthy trip for some hunting:

The terrain has been reworked in particular the ground textures

Stagler has given me some great Russian infantry to use

Russian names, voices and GUI interface is done, thanks to Stagler

I have “ported” into the game the BMP-2D (from CMA), to replace the BMP-2

I have “ported” into the game the BTR-70 (from CMA), to replace the BTR-60PB

I have “ported” into the game the Ural 375 (from CMA), to replace the Zil-131

I have “ported” into the game the ZSU-23-4 (from CMA

I edited the strings file so that the above ported vehicles all say what they are in the interface

CMShockForce2012-11-3012-41-28-68.jpg

CMShockForce2012-11-3012-42-13-10.jpg

CMShockForce2012-11-3012-51-34-07.jpg

CMShockForce2012-11-3012-42-32-81.jpg

Mord is working on the buildings and my portion of this project is whinding down. Make no mistake this is a monster project! Think of it, an all inclusive mod that transforms CMSF into a modern European style game.

Pete

This looks quite promising!

Quick question: why did you port the ZSU-23-4? It's in the NATO module. Is the one from CMA a more correct version? just curious.

The CMA version is better. This one has been a bit of a headache as it loads, two different models at differing lod's. If you get my drift?

Well so much for creating a second install. CMSF won't offer that option. It recognizes the game is loaded and only offers play or uninstall. I don't want to try fighting it and have to possibly reinstall the etc if it goes fubar. Oh well guess I am gonna have a Eurofacation Z folder after all.