Calling In Airstrikes

My guess would be that the airstrike requires that it be called by an FO (excluding the HQs from the list of potential spotters from the get-go), and that the FO "observer-eligible" team member (probably the "Leader") has been rendered hors de combat. Given that the target is tanks, I'd guess that the game isn't in the setup phase, and if it were, since you need an eligible observer, even if observation isn't necessary, for a preplanned mission, having the asset be "Denied" isn't going to permit a preplanned bomb run either.

My guess would be that the airstrike requires that it be called by an FO (excluding the HQs from the list of potential spotters from the get-go), and that the FO "observer-eligible" team member (probably the "Leader") has been rendered hors de combat.

Having the radio operator get blown away would do it too. Have you checked to see if the FO is in radio contact with anybody else, like off-map arty for instance? Another thing might be if somehow the air strikes are subordinated to a different chain of command than the FO. I don't have much experience with air strikes, so this is kind of a murky area for me.

Michael

In which case I stand corrected. Seems like it should though.

:confused:

Michael

AIUI, the observer element is assumed to be able to maintain contact for the purpose of observation through "various means" (like wire telephony) that are not explicitly modelled. It would also suck big time for your FO-only assets to be denied whenever one of two out of the three-man team got geeked. At least at the moment it has to be the specific observer-type.

It would also suck big time for your FO-only assets to be denied whenever one of two out of the three-man team got geeked. At least at the moment it has to be the specific observer-type.

I wasn't concerned so much with the operator buying it—I would assume that the FO himself would know how to operate the set—but with the radio becoming US due to damage.

Michael