Coming Soon: The Hills Have Eyes

Sweet, I am liking night battles with the new artificial brightness toggle. But a night battle in a built-up area like that? People will die in there!

If I am not mistaken there is by default ambient cricket chirps at night. That, or there are crickets in my home. Maybe I need to do some cleaning.

One suggestion, you may want to take a look at the chateau ruins in the Shadow of the Hill map from Pete Wenman. I have a battle going on there now and what Pete came up with for the ruins has turned out to be some of the most wicked terrain for close in infantry combat I have run into. It definitely presents some ideas on how to create a tough urban battleground that is extremely dangerous for armor. I found I could even make use of PF 30's in it. Hell it is dangerous for infantry too with a few of our encounters taking place at point blank range. Toss in a few ruined buildings based on his design and I think you may find the whole flavor of the battle becoming a lot more brutal.

It has given me some thought on trying to recreate Monte Cassino. :D

Thanks for the comments and the suggestion. I looked at that map but I didn't see any ruins. In any case, this is not a map with any pre-existing battle damage, and the buildings are so tight that armor movement of any sort would be impossible, as one would expect in many of the small Sicilian villages constructed before cars. I think it's plenty brutal enough at this point.

Just one suggestion from the Lorax here (I speak for the trees!).... That dense vineyard could use a windbreak of trees (poplars, maybe?) along their western edge -- maybe the other side of the road -- if you don't have one already (I assume we're looking North and the vines have a southern exposure). Sicily does get the Scirocco and other seasonal winds, and they can be severe. [/vinicultural groggery]. That close to town you'd at least want a wall to keep livestock (goats and donkeys) out, which you do have.

Much of the map is covered in small adjoining vineyards. It's quite a small map (and utterly fictional, BTW), so a windbreak might be presumed to be off-map somewhere, though your point is well-taken.

As to walls, I tried to build in as many as possible, but the issue is that the way CM deals with roads and walls (you can have one or the other on a given tile, but not both), I had to make some choices. Ideally most of the roads would be bounded on at least some side by walls, as would the small olive groves, but doing so just leaves too much open ground.