Too much money

moet

Blood trails and Yeti; aye, that's the holdup...

I'm quite sure it is.

Imagine, a snow white field during the night .. suddenly, a flare lights up the scene and you discover that all which is left of your three man scout team is a trail of blood. This would be epic. ;)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To a small degree I do sympathise with the thread originator.

CMFI is a rather small leap forward in my opinion.

Ditto. Sort of.

It is a step forward but not as big as many would like to a theatre that I suspect doesn't capture the imagination automatically.

But there is no reason to feel bad about not getting CMFI or that Battlefront has abandoned you (original poster) or vice versa. They have repeatedly stated that they do not expect all customers to purchase all modules/families.

Unless you have fundamental problems with the engine something will come your way again. It is more a time for patience now waiting for this to come again rather than thinking they have lost their way.

The epic time period of the original CMx1 releases are gone, almost certain never to return. I miss them too.

I have made one "support Battlefront" purchase in getting CMSF simply because I liked what they did and wanted to see the Cmx2 engine. The demo and setting did nothing for me but I still found a great game. Left NATO and Afghanistan and now am leaving CMFI. Will certainly patch to CMx2 unless a new release with a bundle is announced then I will get that instead.

Ditto. Sort of.

It is a step forward but not as big as many would like to a theatre that I suspect doesn't capture the imagination automatically.

But there is no reason to feel bad about not getting CMFI or that Battlefront has abandoned you (original poster) or vice versa. They have repeatedly stated that they do not expect all customers to purchase all modules/families.

Unless you have fundamental problems with the engine something will come your way again. It is more a time for patience now waiting for this to come again rather than thinking they have lost their way.

That right there is I think exactly the right attitude. You don't have to buy it if the price or theater interest isn't good for you. There are two more families scheduled at the moment for next year and probably a couple modules. It isn't like you are choosing between CM or no CM, you are simply cherry picking what you want and BF fully expects that.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, it doesn't have to become a debate about their pricing or business model. On the other hand there are those of us addicted that also happen to have the discretionary income to finance our habit. I find it highly unlikely I won't be purchasing everything that comes down the pike. I wasn't sure I'd like CMSF and am still playing it regularly, wasn't sure I'd like CMFI and found myself enthralled. My biggest issue now is time. I simply do not have enough of it. Damn work gets in the way so badly. I know folks who haven't bought CMFI yet because they simply do not have the time to play. real life very much intrudes on what we all might wish for.

I wasn't sure I'd like CMSF and am still playing it regularly, wasn't sure I'd like CMFI and found myself enthralled. My biggest issue now is time.

I personally think something about CMSF fits CMx2 better. Not sure why though. And if I could only have Battlefront do one theatre it would be east front (43-44 to narrow it down more).

Time is definitely a factor. I suspect I will get CMFI but most likely as some type of bundle when it (a) costs less, (B) comes with something more interesting for me than Italy and © my thirst for something new has dramatically increased.

I expect winter will be handled by finely balancing the current morale, motivation and fitness system to reflect the conditions. I just wish it will be pronounced, since sometimes I feel the pixelguys pull off superhuman stunts on a maybe too regular basis. Loading your guys with all the extra ammunition and bazookas and everything doesn't seem to slow or tire them as much as it perhaps should. You know, how that .50 cal team sometimes effortlessly runs ontop a mountain without slowing down or breaking a sweat.

Could be just a perspective issue.

Also, when I first read about CMFI and then CMA my reaction was something like "Yawn, sounds a wee bit booooooooorrrrrriiiiiiiiiiing."

When I played them I was blown away. There's just something especially poetic and tragic about forgotten conflicts. Not saying Normandy wasn't poetic and tragic, but it isn't exactly forgotten. Sometimes I've felt that this McDonalds effect has cheapened the conflict, taken away from the memory and become something of a commercial spectacle. I wonder if there are people out there who think Normandy is just something movie and game studios came up with instead of an actual conflict where blood, guts and excrement was spilled.

CMA is possible my favourite subject matter out of all CMx2 titles so far. I wish for a remake with possibly the CMx2 7.0 engine, but seeing how that thing Snowballed...

Woe is me...

I'm in the midst of the German campaign in CMSF, with Leopards in overwatch over my too small German squads. I last played it a year ago.

Back in the 'Stan, my Soviet Airborne company is putting the hurt on the Muj, but I just can't close and finish the deal. I last saw them in that valley around Christmas, last year.

My assault on the bocage is going apace, but it's been a few months since I really lent my expertise to help lead my men against the Wehrmacht. I've been on loan to the Brits and Canadians as they fight the SS, but I've recently taken leave from that fight, as well.

My attempt to break the slog in Sicily last saw me trying to use halftrack mounted guns against Luftwaffe troops dug in on a mountain. My casualties have been increasing faster than I'm comfortable with.

My cup runneth over... with the spilled blood of my men and their opponents.

I have NO idea how the next releases will fit into my gaming schedule. I fear my Bundswehr reputation is just the first to go downhill. (I imagine that there are dozens of pixeltruppen lounging around inside my computer cursing me in fluent gutteral German for their long delay in closing with the Syrians. Sorry guys.)

If it the cost is too high, or the subject matter doesn't float your boat, just wait for the next one. Something is bound to pique your interest.

Ken

After 5 years since the first release of a CMx2 game (CMSF), we are still playing in the summer season, basically in the same two kinds of terrain set (mid-eastern arid and european summer). It seems that is much more difficult / time consuming to move to different seasons / weather / ground conditions than has been originally envisioned. So this alone gives CMFI the feel of "Same old, same old".

Another thing which is still missing is fire, which has been in the CMx1 titles.

I doubt that snow terrain is the real delay for winter but the lack of nighttime illumination and fire. I can't see any way that BFC can release a WW2 winter game without both of those features. The nights are very long in NWE in winter and there will have to be starshells and having burning wrecks illuminate units in close proximity. That's bound to be a huge amount of coding work, thus the reason why we're still stuck comfortably, or not, in the summer season and will be for quite some time to come. I suspect that East Front will kick off with a summer module but may sport fire as a new feature. I think nighttime illumination is much further off though, perhaps as late as 2014.

... and having burning wrecks illuminate units in close proximity. ...

That's already in but I don't know if it affects spotting. The starshell effect should also not be a big problem. Its a moving lightsource, that's handled by OpenGL. Getting it to look right might be more of a problem.

Hmm, thinking twice about that: spotting is the problem. If the spotting target is between you and the shell or if the shell if between you and the target make a huge difference. Currently light is ambient so that's no problem.

What about multiple flares? Ooooh - I see quite some improvements to spotting coming if we get flares! :)

That's already in but I don't know if it affects spotting.

To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't. There's a graphical circle of illumination for sure but units within that circle don't seem to get spotted any faster. However, I honestly can't say with certainty as I rarely play missions at night because there are no starshells. With CMSF, it wasn't really an issue as the Coalition forces were well stocked with nighttime vision goggles, etc.

I still have the rules and scenarios. I will just carve me a miniture set of ASL out of the bones of the Zombies, I need something to do during my down time anyway. That is as long as I stay alive long enough to enjoy it.

Bone Dust is Infectious per CDC.

Won't be inhaling "ZED Bone Dust"... :D

Buzz

my wife just bought a bag for $800 :( so to keep symmetry i am up to at least 4 CMx base games with 4 modules each :D :cool:

Gadzooks! I certainly hope that bag came with at least $750 inside it! (Wait a few weeks, then tell here about how that brand has sold nothing but knock-offs for the last 6 months. See how that plays out...)

Some of you have WAY more time, energy and focus to play CMx2 (CMBN in my case) than I do. I tend to play intuitively, rather than analytically. Admittedly, it's odd, considering I spent over 11 years in Operations Analysis departments at two major defense contractors.

c3k,

I think YOU are trying to singlehandedly keep BFC afloat. Talk about a full dance card!

GDog,

Emphatically concur on your economic analysis of fun per hour per dollar spent!

Regards,

John Kettler

c3k,

If you can pull off the economic parity argument, then good for you! I've read of some couples who did detailed budgeting, and part of that process was allocating equal amounts of mad money to the spouses for whatever was desired but not part of the standard living expenses, which included standard clothing, haircuts, nails and such. I thought this was eminently reasonable. Of course, I've never been married, so the viability of this scheme is purely speculative.

Regards,

John Kettler

Gadzooks! I certainly hope that bag came with at least $750 inside it! (Wait a few weeks, then tell here about how that brand has sold nothing but knock-offs for the last 6 months. See how that plays out...)

My wife works in the leather industry and the bag is worth the money :) i can assure you that. just as i can assure her that the CM games are worth their money :D - yes we sometimes had this discussion :cool: luckily i am in the software industry, so i am in the position to judge CM (at least for my wife - and that's all that matters).

Obviously, quality costs more. If she is satisfied with her purchase, that's important. Even more important (and this is where John Kettler needs to pay attention and drop the wife under analysis, systems approach, to marriage), is how does she LOOK when she's holding that bag? "Damn, babe, that bag makes you look even hotter!" Yeah, NOW who just benefited from that $800 purchase. :)

Obviously, quality costs more. If she is satisfied with her purchase, that's important. Even more important (and this is where John Kettler needs to pay attention and drop the wife under analysis, systems approach, to marriage), is how does she LOOK when she's holding that bag? "Damn, babe, that bag makes you look even hotter!" Yeah, NOW who just benefited from that $800 purchase. :)

I predict you will have a long and happy marriage! You clearly know the secret of turning the Missus' lemons into lemonade.:D

c3k, I worry about you sometimes.

Mmmm, I see that everybody don't bother about the business model of their beloved developer. What I point out is that Battlefront is making a particular commercial choice with the suites of CMx2. I agreed to their choices till CMFI. Now I don't accept that special way of pumping money from their fan, as they did with the WWII Strategic Command series. I wish you guys a lot of fun with the future families and modules, being worth around 500$ over the next 2-3 years if my calculations are correct, based on 4 families with 2 modules each.

Well - I would consider that for me personally - that for all that content - it would be "worth" considerably more than 500 in terms of what I get from it. So its an investment thats more than worth it. Jezus - when I think of some of the crap I have spent more than that on ....

Bitching about the price BF charges has got to be the most pointless thing I see on these boards. If you dont want it - then dont pay it. Simple. Let us decide we do and let battlefront charge whatever it is that keeps them in business.