Easy Norton Fix (Well it works for me)

Narses

As has been said: the CM exe is not deleted but quarantined by Norton.

I again had a PC issue that required a reinstall of Win7.

So I started reinstalling CMBN, Commonwealth and Italy. Oddly with Norton on I was successful installing CMBN with no blocking by Norton. But then Norton quarantined both the Commonealth module and the Fortress Italy.

Here was the easy fix. Pull up Norton. Click on "Settings", go to "Tasks", go to "Security History." Scroll down to your quarantined CM file. Click on it. On the right of screen click on "Restore." The game and module loaded and played. On Italy it did require after loading the license number but the module did not ask for the license.

Btw, closing down your Norton firewall for 15" doesn't work to install the games or module at least for me. They wre still quarantined.

Easiest fix is to trash bin Norton. It is a virus in on itself. It is the first thing I do when I purchase a new computer / laptop if it is installed on it. That and get rid of any easy access IE icons.

Get Avast free version (or pay for more coverage) and use Firefox with Adblocker (or Chrome is good I have heard). I have been virus free for years and never have the issues you are describing.

Easiest fix is to trash bin Norton. It is a virus in on itself. It is the first thing I do when I purchase a new computer / laptop if it is installed on it. That and get rid of any easy access IE icons.

Get Avast free version (or pay for more coverage) and use Firefox with Adblocker (or Chrome is good I have heard). I have been virus free for years and never have the issues you are describing.

Some folks are attached to Norton with an unsnappable umbilical cord, it seems. I've noticed the same devotion to AOL on the part of some friends, usually female. Your counter-evangelism may be in vain, B88.

Yeah, Avast and Chrome make a great combination.

The reason I just did 2 rerinstalls of Win 7 is because I had serious malware issues with Mic Sec Essentials which I'd had for some time.

But I'll stick with Norton at least until my contract runs out. I had it with no issues for many years before switching to MSE. I do however appreciate the recommendation for the free system.

I guess everyone has their own umbilical cord but this was posted for people having the same problem I was having and the fix couldn't be easier.

I have done the same as Narses has done and haven't had any issues with the game.

I've not had Norton difficulties as many have expressed.

I personally wasn't going to go with Norton because I have heard horror stories from people. However when I bought my new laptop it had Norton 360 which I gave a trial.

Besides the issue of installation of Fortress Italy (which was easily resolved) I've only been happy with Norton. In what I've seen it just runs in the background and does what it's supposed to do which is snag viruses before it infects the PC. I personally have had more issues with Microsoft Security Essentials. In that case there was no resolution.

Just because the product has had releases that were awful doesn't make that product awful forever. To make a wise choice on any product it is very helpful to look at reviews of the actual released product; not strictly at opinions of people who swore off the product long ago. I personally give Norton 360 a very good review.

As Elmar Bijlsma mentioned in another thread about Norton... and I totally agree.

Really, it is a terrible AV. Just about anything else is better, free or paid service. Having software conflicts is what Norton does best.

That you only have trouble with CMSF makes you the most satisfied Norton user in the history of mankind.

That highlighted part says it all.

I am now finished with my crusade as I have done all I can do for your poor souls, Norton users. :D