Sign in to follow this  
Tosti

Extreme long loading times, sometimes crash

Hi,

I'm creating a scenario in CM:BN and I have been running into problems as my scenario is nearing it's completion. I am creating a pretty large map, 3km2. As I was filling in the terrain, I noticed the loading times became longer and longer. When I reached the point where I had finished adding all the geographical aspects of the map, the scenario would load for about 8 minutes and more.

Now when deploying trenches and units, the loading times have become excruciatingly slow with times up to 20 minutes. Sometimes not loading at all and crashes with a fatal error "out of memory". This usualy happens at 40-50% when loading, on Read Data. And I'm not quite sure why it would be out of memory, since my total memory usage never even passes 2.5GB.

I'm running this on a fairly fast laptop and that is what suprises me the most. I expected it would be able to handle the size.

Is CM:BN really demanding, or is there something else (I hope) that might be influencing my preformance here?

System spec:

Windows 7 32bit

i7 M640 @2.80GHz

RAM 4GB

DirectX11

GT 330M 2GB

Kind regards,

Tosti

Windows 7 32bit

Applications running on 32 bit systems are limited to using 2 GB of memory. There is a way of extending this to 3.2 (IIRC) GB for CMBN but I don't know how exactly and I don't know if Phil ever got around to posting the instructions.

Hold on. I think I found the answer

To enable the 3GB switch on Windows Vistaâ„¢ or Windows 7:

Right-click Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.

At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072"

Restart the computer.

To disable the 3GB switch:

Right-click on Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.

At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa"

Restart the computer.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=102932

Try that and see if it makes a difference.

Besides all the stuff folks have noted about the terchnical side and computing hardware - large maps are resource hogs. Trenches only add to that. Now think about how much oomph it is taking to just do the map and consider what is going to happen when you put units on it. Most people will have difficulty running it.

I have a pretty good PC tower (I gave up trying to use a laptop for CM a long time ago and MACs have their own issues if you take a stroll through the technical issues forum). I have very little problem running scenarios that a lot of folks machines seem to choke on. That being said I still shy away from really big maps with lots of units. Not that I don't like them, it just takes longer to run them.

Take it from someone who does also spend time creating those really big maps (I have a series for MG that I want to do that are 4x4), your time is better spent on a really well done smaller map. Yeah I know, it doesn't stop me from going for larger ones as well despite it being true.

Version 2 should help you a bit when it comes out, but until then I think you are going to find it slow going.

Thanks for the replies. I will try out the RAM trick, but I think next time, I'll just keep the size below 2km2. Atleast, aslong I'm stuck with my current hardware :).

This may not be the appropriate place for this post, but the title of the OP describes my problem.

My issue is not one of long loading times for individual scenarios, but just for loading the game itself. Over the course of time, game loading has taken longer and longer. I just timed the loading from clicking on the CMBN.exe shortcut until the splash screen actually appeared and it took nearly two minutes to load. For some, this may not be all that long, but when I first installed CMBN, loading was nearly instantaneous. On rare occasions, I've had "Not responding" messages which have sometimes cleared up and CTD'd on others.

All of that said, I do have a boatload of mods installed and I'm wondering if this might be the issue. If so, would it speed things up if I assembled all of my current mods into one .brz file? I could rezpack all the mods into one new .brz file which would sit in my Z folder... maybe name it ZMods.brz?

I'm just looking for a way to speed up loading of the game. If it's caused by mods, perhaps I just need to be more patient. If mods are not the problem, would a reinstall help? I'm also starting to see a slowdown in the loading of CMFI as I install more mods, so I'm beginning to believe that the mods are probably the cause.

Thanks in advance for any input.

I assume, but don't really know, that the mods of 2D artwork for 3D models in the game doesn't affect INITIAL load times. It MAY affect loading for scenarios/campaigns that use these particular resources. Have you modded your 2D interface/menus for the game ?

I don't know if RezPacking the mods would completely help with loading times or not. I suspect that if there is ANY improvement it would be a small one measured in just a couple of seconds. It may be worth doing as an experiment, but I'd guess that it may not make a significant difference in load times.

I assume, but don't really know, that the mods of 2D artwork for 3D models in the game doesn't affect INITIAL load times. It MAY affect loading for scenarios/campaigns that use these particular resources. Have you modded your 2D interface/menus for the game ?

I don't know if RezPacking the mods would completely help with loading times or not. I suspect that if there is ANY improvement it would be a small one measured in just a couple of seconds. It may be worth doing as an experiment, but I'd guess that it may not make a significant difference in load times.

Yeah, I was thinking about this more today before I got home... if the mods don't load until the actual scenario loads. why would this affect the game itself loading? I'm at a loss, but I do know that CMBN (and CMFI) take longer and longer to load the longer they've been on my machine.

I' don't have a clue as to why, because it doesn't seem to matter whether I'm starting after a fresh reboot to clear memory or if I've had my computer on continuously for several weeks. I have other memory pigs, like photoshop, which seem to start nearly as fast today as they did when I first got this computer just prior the release of CMBN.

The only mod to the 2D interface has been in CMFI. I've only replaced the splash screen with one of the ones contained in Aris' PzIIIN mod. I've done nothing but add in-game mods to CMBN.

You could try temporarily moving your z folder somewhere else and see if the game loads faster.

Funny, I tried this (cut amd pasted the Z folder to my desktop) and the game loaded almost immediately... 5 seconds, max. Yet, when I moved the Z folder back to the Data folder of CMBN, it loaded nearly as quickly... maybe 7 -10 seconds. This is still quite an improvement over what I was seeing before.

Schrullenhaft... looks like I lied about not loading any mods to CMBN start screens... I do have a machine gun belt which displays as the percent loaded bar tracks the loading of scenario data. Thing is, I don't seem to have a huge problem with scenario loading times.

I'm having the same issue here (CMBN and CW, 2.01). Extreme load times (upwards of 10 minutes to actually get in the game) on small maps. I was playing battles no problem (but still long load times) and then suddenly I went to load a game save and it freezes up at 29% (read data). Have to CTRL-ALT-DEL and shut the game down (Windows 7).

I removed the Z folder thinking it may be the mods, but it does the same thing. Tried to load the original SMALL battle (instead of the save) and it did eventually load (took almost 8 minutes). Keep in mind this was WITHOUT any mods. Could the Data directory be corrupted or something?

I've held off buying CMFI and now MG because of these issues with the game gradually loading slower and slower, until I need to do a reinstall to get it to load quicker/not freeze up. I'm also tired of my savegame files getting corrupted. Any ideas how to get this thing loading in a reasonable amount of time?

This is not a hardware issue. I have the CMFI demo (loaded with MODS) and load times are 1/5th what they are in CMBN. Shock Force also loads in about 1/4 the time (I realize it's a different engine). Specs are:

A6 3410MX

AMD 6755G2 1GB Vid (runs BF3 smooth on high)

4GB RAM

Win 7 64bit

No issues with sound/vid or framerate issues once I'm in the game.

This is not a hardware issue. I have the CMFI demo (loaded with MODS) and load times are 1/5th what they are in CMBN. Shock Force also loads in about 1/4 the time (I realize it's a different engine). Specs are:

A6 3410MX

4GB RAM

Win 7 64bit

Is that stored on some consumer SATA SSD piece of ****?

A6 3410MX

4GB RAM

Win 7 64bit

That sounds really, really abnormal. Small battles load in a fraction of that time on my personal machines, and they're about as beefy as yours (if not less). Are you using the latest drivers for your video card? What are your texture quality settings?

That sounds really, really abnormal. Small battles load in a fraction of that time on my personal machines, and they're about as beefy as yours (if not less). Are you using the latest drivers for your video card? What are your texture quality settings?

I agree, it does seem abnormal. Video card drivers are the latest I can get. Haven't tried the new beta drivers yet. I'm not having any issues in game though, and that's with the Aris mods (that seem to have pretty nice textures). As for settings, everything's at 'better', AA on. Been playing the CMFI demo (1.10) a bit more. Load times are getting longer the more I play. About 3-4 min each time now. Gets stuck on 29% (just like CMBN) and just when I start to think it's frozen up, it jumps to 36% and then keeps going. Still loads quite a bit faster, and saved games aren't getting corrupted like CMBN.

I'm also running very lean in the background (always more than 3GB available). Seems that it gets slower with the mods installed, but removing them doesn't help. Then if I reinstall it loads fast again. Any ideas are appreciated.

Sign in to follow this