CMBN Uniform Mods

Topkick

No the format is the same-but the file names are different I copied and pasted a Big Red 1 patch from a uniform mod from Normandy and pasted on the sleeves and copied and pasted the helmets into the helmet files in FI-but no -copying a bz file or a bmp file won't work from Normandy. But my hack job showed nicely. Waiting for the uniform mods.

Sicily is pretty hot to so the uniforms were a bit lighter twill-It was after all-a Walk in the Sun.;)

The vehicle skins work-ARIS jeep works-but they changed the names for the uniform files

I dislike brz files for that reason. It's also hard/time consuming to explode em in order to compare with other similar mods. So, I generally explode brz's and put the files in regular folder.

I am talking about regular files (bmp's) and their compatibility between games. Some are, and some are not. I just wondered why.

You will have another problem, depending on the uniform. The Bump map files literally have uniform and accoutrements contours, so if you use a US uniform texture from CMBN (renamed as appropriate, of course) that doesn't have the same belt or suspenders...whatever, and the bump for the CMFI uniform does, it will look wonky. You'll see the impression of said belt, etc., but not belt itself.

I have US uniform division patch mod for all the Divisional patches for Sicily/Italy about half done, but my video card fried last week and I don't think I will get a new one in for another week or so. Erwin, they are subdued patches. :)

Just did a test using the smod_german_m42-tropical_soldier_uniform as the webbing resembles CMBN webbing the most. Its not good, the models are not exactly the same maybe, or it could be the shadow maps. The collars and lapels are folded quite different, and the trousers below the knees are also stretched.

My recommendation is to just do new skins from scratch.

1. Some file names changed.

2. Some models changed (i.e. German Tropical Feldblusen had open collars)

3. Normal maps were added and are specific for each uniform texture. If you just recolorate it, then no problem, but if you change it, then the normal map for that texture will make it look wrong. You will be forced to modify the original normal map or do a new one.

CMFI uniforms weren't just recolorations of the CMBN ones, but most of the time done from scratch. It means their normal maps won't work well with CMBN textures.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the informative (and quick!) answers! I will wait for the CMFI uniform mods, nice thing is the game looks good as is!

I'm working on a Tan and Water pattern for the Heer grenadiers replacing the tropical uniform. Sumpfmuster seems to go with the Arid CMFI terrain and lighting in the game. '42 and '43 textures. Similar to replica picture.

poster3d.jpg

poster1x.jpg

poster2ha.jpg

tanwater.jpg

It almost goes without saying M4x tunics were not issued in large numbers to the Wermacht with distinctive camouflage patterns. Some were tailor made like the replica photo above.

Tan and Water is a limited pattern adopted by the Wehrmacht (and LW), typically issued as a smock or zeltbahn. We don't have smocks. So historically no.

The uniforms look great, Nik. Especially the ones in the first image. But, I do have a question re the following images... did combat troops go into combat with their shiny medals, ribbons and rank flashes?

Hi Erwin,

In the stock game (pictured below) the battalion commander has the medals, the picture above is of the 3 guys in the Bn HQ. In the game there are 2 textures each for junior ranks, squad leaders, Lt's, and 1 texture each for coy and Bn commanders.

The most common texture you will see only has the assult badge same as the stock game. Where I embellished a little was with the Captain where I gave him a wound badge and an IC1. So one guy per company. ( oh, and I included a modified normal bump map so medal on the Captain looks in place)

34648292.jpg

Nik,

I think two steps are needed in order to make this a historical, or at least less ahistorical, mod.

First is easy - leave the trousers unmodded. Heer soldiers wore camouflage trousers only as part of the winter reversible camo suit with parka and a pair of trousers (or if they themselves comissioned the trousers from some tailor - effectively a real-llife uniform mod). The winter combination would be too warm for Italy or Normandy.

Second part is more difficult - you would need to somehow try and paint over the buttons, pockets and the belt. I do not know enough about modding, alpha channels etc. to tell if there is any way to do it and have the mod look halfway decent, but the real life camo jacket had none of those, one would wear the feldbluse and the webbing underneath it. Here the only exception would be private purchases where an officer or NCO would pay a tailor to produce a feldbluse equivalent usually from a camo tent material (the picture you show above is either such private purchase or a re-enactor's kit itself historically not accurate).

All the best,

Zwolo

Thanks guys. Those are LOVELY bright, brand new and collectible museum quality.

I am of course referring to the way the looked after a few days/weeks of being in rain, mud and excrement, blood etc. I wish I could recall where I read it. It's a very long time ago. But IIRC, as troops got experienced they would rub mud and dirt over anything bright and remove shiny things since these made wonderful aiming points for snipers.

The uniform mod by mjkerner gets it about right. You can just about see the subdued insignia from a dozen or so feet away. But further away it all blends in. Great job.

Of course if you dont like mjkerner's mod and want bright patches etc, nobody, least of all me, is telling you not to go that route.

Thanks guys. Those are LOVELY bright, brand new and collectible museum quality.

I am of course referring to the way the looked after a few days/weeks of being in rain, mud and excrement, blood etc. I wish I could recall where I read it. It's a very long time ago. But IIRC, as troops got experienced they would rub mud and dirt over anything bright and remove shiny things since these made wonderful aiming points for snipers.

The uniform mod by mjkerner gets it about right. You can just about see the subdued insignia from a dozen or so feet away. But further away it all blends in. Great job.

Of course if you dont like mjkerner's mod and want bright patches etc, nobody, least of all me, is telling you not to go that route.

So basically: "you are wrong but go ahead and do want you want to your own peril." This is a baseless (and rather underhanded) critique of style based solely on your personal preference. If you want a uniform mod with a muddy Iron Crosses and poop-stained britches, hop to it and make it for yourself.