Competant Incompetance SPOILERS

Erwin

Loving this campaign so far (mission #2).

However, I wish the briefing had been a little more precise on when reinforcements would arrive. I can understand vagueness if they are half a day away, but if they are within 30 minutes, you would think the CO could expect arrival "within X minutes".

In both mission #1 and #2, I wasn't sure when reinforcements would arrive so I was a bit more aggressive than maybe I should have been and lost both initial 1st platoon inf squads and the HQ in the hilltop houses, when it may have been better to hunker down and wait. But, it's no fun waiting an hour or more, (which I have occasionally done in other scenarios!), and now I just try and get on with it - which is not always advisable.

I did win the first mission as the two squads sacrificed themselves taking a lot of muj with them, and an arty strike killed off the rest.

The other thing is that there was no indication in the briefing that there would be no resupply of the 81mm mortars between missions #1 and #2 (and in the next missions???). Please make sure that players have that info as it may be critical in future missions. I am debating with myself now where I should restart or soldier on (with maybe no arty or air support left). The briefing also also doesn't mention if the tanks and AC's etc will be resupplied. Players need to know this stuff.

In Mission #3, one gets two new fully supplied aircraft and 2 mortars, one fully supplied, the other a little less. However, only a few of the tanks' shells have been resupplied. I don't think the BTR's have been resupplied (much) either. Damage to vehicles seems to carry over.

I think some inf losses have been replaced in the HQ units (not the regular grunts), but still not the 1st platoon HQ which was lost in Mission #1.

Really fun and interesting situations and campaign. But as I said previously, a little more info on resupply and timing of reinforcements would be good.

Really enjoyed the dynamic nature of this campaign. If you lose you get pushed back. Wish the briefing said how many missions are in the campaign. I may go and redo and deliberately lose to get some of the defensive missions and see if I can turn the tide.

Some may say the campaign is too easy. But, it's fun to use forces as they were intended rather than have every mission or campaign be a desperate fight merely to survive. The challenge is to do the campaign with fewer casualties.

I wish we had more entertaining campaigns and scenarios like this one (and the ones in CMSF) in CMBN and CMFI.

Another thought if there is any possibility of a v2, is to make friendly casualties cost more in points so it's harder to win if you lose too many ANA troops. The point of the campaign is to give em confidence.

I felt that my big wins (mostly TOTAL) were not really worthwhile when I had lost two entire squads and their HQ in mission #1, then two BTR's and their entire squads (to mines) in the final mission (in addition to smaller losses along the way).

I think that the resources available to the ANA/Soviet player are such that he should be able to win with minimal casualties (well, aside from getting unlucky with mines).

And while we're on the subject, there's a discussion about designers not getting feedback in the CMFI or CMBN forums. Sometimes I get the feeling that only a couple of us are actually playing these games while most are arguing about historical and technical minutiae. That's a cause for concern as it's the equivalent of players becoming "collectors" like many of us became when cardboard wargames became too complex and not so much fun to play.

Thank you for the advice sometimes when you create something you become blind and its good to get criticism because then you know what you can improve.

The first mission was meant to be pretty easy. But the second one should have been harder. However the resupply is random, sometimes you have the chance to get shells and new reinforcements and sometimes you dont. Well I guess the supply for your arty or your btr's may not have come through, maybe it was ambushed on the way to the area? Who knows.

I really do not want to be 100% to sure about whether reinforcements and supplies are going to be able to arrive or not. Thats how it is in real life. You hope they will arrive when you suddenly realize the Staff has decided to send them elsewhere.

The casualty factor is really hard to set but I have experimented a little with it. It was set that you loose points of you loose more than 10% of your troops.. but I am suprised that you lost less. Even if you would have lost more you wouldnt have lost more than 250 points. So maybe I should have more points or less than 10% casualty factor.

There are 11 battles available and with the different odds taken you can be able to play up to 6 during one campaign.

The enemy has the same factors to resupply themselves. However because it is an AI he has to take less casualties to be allowed to resupply and replenish. The enemy is also fairly defensive in this campaign.

I am not able to make changes to the campaign for now because I am allready working on a new one. The research is done, mapping is in the progress. Texting, applying units, creating minimaps, scripting, testing and finalizing are left to go.

Thanks again for the valuable info!

I am not able to make changes to the campaign for now because I am allready working on a new one. The research is done, mapping is in the progress. Texting, applying units, creating minimaps, scripting, testing and finalizing are left to go.

Thanks again for the valuable info!

This makes me extremely happy! I have really been enjoying this campaign as well and I'm just so glad that you are making more for CMA. It's such a great game and theater and it's completely overlooked IMO.

I deliberately lost the first battles just so I could fight on the village HQ map. It's really a good map, and it's a shame that if one wins, one never gets to see it!

I wonder if the campaign (or your next one) could be scripted so that one is actually pushed back to the HQ map and THEN one has to fight back to make progress.

Right now, if you do well in the first battle, it seems like the Taliban never seems to recover and they are weak for the rest of the campaign. So, the challenge became how to win with minimal friendly casualties.

However, if you lose the first battle, the Taliban get quite strong/reinforced, and it seemed HARDER to win the 2nd battle (I lost), and that's how I found myself defending the HQ village in the 3rd battle.

I loved the unexpected enemy bombardment btw. Really made a mess of my units.

Anyway, great job! I hope your next campaign also requires combined arms and maneuver. The frontal infantry-centric assault scenarios of CMBN and CMFI get repetitive.

Thank you. By the way.. as far as I have researched Afghanistan do not mix up the Taliban and teh Mujahideen. They are two different factions. Until 1992 they fought the D.R.A government together but split up and began fighting each other until 1998 when the Taliban took power. Only small parts in the north where by then held by the Mujahideen. The irony is that the US supported the Taliban who in turn supported Al Quaida.

So to make it clear.. the Mujahideen are the good guys, the Taliban are the bad guys.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah I wanna just inform that I am still working on the next campaign. But due to problems with the ai (the ai never want to do as I wish) I have to refine and finetune. The editor really needs a serious overhaul..

Anyway.. planned release is instead somewhere in december.