Sign in to follow this  
CATS2010

The map split gives an unfair advantage to the US

The choice to split the map through the middle of the USA has always seemed bizarre to me. This split gives an unfair advantage to the USA in that to defeat the USA one has to attack it from both the east and west coasts. All other countries can be defeated by an attack on just one front. Why wasn't the map split done down the international date line so no country is split and therefore no unfair advantage. All land based transfer arrows would be eliminated.

While you're at how about making the sea based transfer arrows fairer. Currently axis units that come through the Panama canal have to travel south across the equator before they can go north to the west coast!

Why are the sea based transfer arrows exclusive to either allies or axis anyway? Why not make avaiable to either side just like reality?

In some ways the split map is a problem for the US - despite excellent rail compared to many other nations east-West coast transfers are surprisingly hard - more than a single operational move.

A map split is always the second best solution compare to a real globe, no matter where the map gets divided.

But does the current split line hurt the game or help the USA?

I like to think no, but that is only my opinion.

This one:

The choice to split the map through the middle of the USA has always seemed bizarre to me. This split gives an unfair advantage to the USA in that to defeat the USA one has to attack it from both the east and west coasts. All other countries can be defeated by an attack on just one front. Why wasn't the map split done down the international date line so no country is split and therefore no unfair advantage. All land based transfer arrows would be eliminated.

While you're at how about making the sea based transfer arrows fairer. Currently axis units that come through the Panama canal have to travel south across the equator before they can go north to the west coast!

Why are the sea based transfer arrows exclusive to either allies or axis anyway? Why not make avaiable to either side just like reality?

Jon

I agree. That particular longitude was about the only one around the globe which saw no combat. Splitting along the Dateline - in the middle of the Pacific War - would be insane, and would make about as much sense as splitting along the Prime Meridian through Greenwich.

The problem with the international date line is that it passes through an area that was fought over, so dividing it there would cause complications, whereas as the USA wasn't fought over, and is the least likely area in the game to be fought over, dividing it there is less likely to cause any issues.

Ok, so you have answered my first question, although if the war doesn't play out as the real one did (and that's the point of the game isn't it?), then the US does come in to play and then the land based transfer arrows detract from the game.

Now how about an answer to my second and third questions about the sea based transfer arrows.

Well since you've asked so nicely ;)

That's a good question regarding some of the arrows and looking at them now they look like some of them could certainly be amalgamated between the Axis and Allies.

With Breakthrough we did add a new feature that a loop arrow could be used by ANY country and this will be more helpful for future map designs.

I hope this helps,

Hubert

Just a quick heads up that I've just changed this on my end as suggested and we'll test it out but I think there shouldn't be any problems with this change.