Conrath's Counterattack - SPOILERS

Erwin

Thanks! I'll give it a try. I DID lose those two tanks, although I know the crews survived.

Lost one of them to a long shot from a 57mm. It happens. Don't feel guilty over that one. The other one I lost simply because I'm an idiot. Ran him up on a group of allied infantry that I thought would surrender. Well, they didn't.

BTW, your scenarios are top notch. Thanks for the good work.

• 1 month later...

Eventually I got bored and frustrated and simply ...

As CM2 becomes more and more hard to play well, I can't see how the CM series will keep its average wargamer audience base unless it can be supported only by ultra grogs and milpros who maybe can use the software for some sort of educational purposes.

Plus 1 . Constantly getting smacked by an uber AI will lose you a customer base.

Some scenarios might be very challenging but others are very much appropriate for new players. The AI is in no was uber you just need practice to beat it. Scenarios where you have a numerical superiority is a good start to learn the basic mechanics of the game. Scenarios is the way to go as a new player. Campaigns should be saved for later.

Some might find it to hard, others that its to easy. The ones that find it hard, might over time find it to easy (with practice), but the ones that find it to easy wont go back to finding it to hard. Its a though balance.

I was not complaining about the AI. I think the CM2 AI is impressive and gives the solo player a good time - especially if one's personal goal is to accomplish missions with minimal casualties as in CMSF and CMA. (I know WW2 players have less problem suffering relatively huge casualties, so this is just my little foible.)

Re the Conrath Campaign I was commenting on the final scenario, where one has so few units for such a massive map, and I simply didn't find it as interesting or enjoyable as the rest of the campaign.

I think the problem was that it purported to be "realistic". (Which generally means one will have a miserable time lol.)

That's why I like it when a designer says "this is fictional" since that means the scenarios have been designed to have fun. Again, I know that some players want "realistic". Other of us, prefer to have a good time playing a game. It's just a question of taste. So long as there are plenty of scenarios and campaigns available, both constituencies can have what they want.

FMB, I'm sending a missive to Santa Claus to have him put you on the "Naughty List".

Cripes, here I thought I as doing okay (other than low on infantry forces after an early, um, debacle, with a couple of squads), but in the third battle the US mortars made a holiday mince-meat pie of my armor on the right, scoring three, yes THREE!!! top hits on my armor, knocking them out. It's not like they were sitting still either. Blasted AI plotted the new drops in front of their current positions, and my poor MkIII's ran right under it -- maybe I'll have to add Charles to that "Naughty List" as well as I'm sure he had a hand in it. @#%^(*$ rat bastidge!!!

Oh, great campaign by the way. ;)

As a general rule I don't restart a battle in a campaign (play through, consequences are consequences), but I may have to make an exception in this case -- can't imagine that I have enough firepower to achieve anything after this. *sigh*

FMB, I'm sending a missive to Santa Claus to have him put you on the "Naughty List".

Cripes, here I thought I as doing okay (other than low on infantry forces after an early, um, debacle, with a couple of squads), but in the third battle the US mortars made a holiday mince-meat pie of my armor on the right, scoring three, yes THREE!!! top hits on my armor, knocking them out. It's not like they were sitting still either. Blasted AI plotted the new drops in front of their current positions, and my poor MkIII's ran right under it -- maybe I'll have to add Charles to that "Naughty List" as well as I'm sure he had a hand in it. @#%^(*$ rat bastidge!!!

Uhhh . . . I swear I had nothing to do with that! :eek:

Seriously, that is some of the most rotten luck I have ever heard of in a CM campaign. I tend to also not restart missions in campaigns, but this definitely sounds like an exception is warranted!

• 5 months later...

o.k.

This is my first campaign in the CM2 series. I normally play games requiring minimum micromanagement, but I wanted to try this game and eventually found time to do it. I played all the missions of the first German campaign (Conrath's counterattack) and now I see a huge map for the last mission. Personally, I think that without a LOS fan to check the visibility conditions of each location (or unit) the game becomes unmanageable with big maps (and yes, I have tried also the mods with the gridded ground).

Anyway, the CM2 engine is still impressive. One question: Before I spend my time with this huge map, can somebody tell me if the Germans can actually win the last battle? I read this thread and noticed that some players managed to get a draw in the last battle and a minor defeat in the campaign? Can somebody actually win the last battle (and the campaign), or is it supposed to follow the historical result?

• 1 month later...

OK, just (completed) this campaign - overall a really enjoyable campaign, with some great maps and a good choice of units for the germans - I loved playing with the Panzer III's - I think I almost prefer missions with tanks that are not completely dominant, and where you have to be careful with infantry/armour co-operation.

The last mission - suffice to say that I Cease-Fired as the clock was running down and most of my PIVs were gone - I had a good force at the beginning but this map is a demonstration of (among other things) the effectiveness of AT guns at longer ranges - almost impossible to spot and murderous. I thought the force balance was too heavily in favour of the allies - may be historical, but I would much rather a scenario that was winnable (perhaps give the player a choice of final scenario - realistic or balanced??)

So thankyou FMB for all the time you put into this - I had a great time for most of it - perhaps someone can put up a video of how to play the final mission?