Sign in to follow this  
Narses

Norton Issue

Norton removes the download before it finishes as a MH690A.

Tech support says to enter cmfortressitaly.exe. as an exception in Norton. I know how to do this but: 1) I understand from the internet this does not always work. 2) But how can I even do that since I cannot enter the file I must browse for it ?

I know I can disable Norton for 15". Is that a good idea. I just switched from Micrsoft Security to Norton because I had a trojan that slipped thru Microsoft.

You're getting 'false positives' from Norton. The CMFI installer is NOT infected.

Unfortunately some Norton security programs are not very configurable in their behavior. What you MAY be able to do is to create a folder and set an exception for it in Norton (if Norton will allow exceptions for folders/directories). Disable Norton while you download the CMFI installer (into the directory/folder that you set an exception for), if this is possible. If you can't fully disable Norton while downloading, then you may need to temporarily UNINSTALL Norton in order to download CMFI and install it. If you CAN disable Norton and successfully download the installer, then with Norton still disabled, run the installer and install CMFI. With Norton STILL disabled activate the license key (since Norton can potentially cause problems with the 'automatic (online)' activation process).

You may want to check that CMFI works BEFORE re-enabling Norton. Once you've done that re-enable Norton and add an exception for CMFI within Norton. Once that has been done, then you should be able to run CMFI with Norton enabled.

Thanks. I guess your right. I've been very reluctant to disable or uninstall because I just recovered from a serious maleware invasion over Microsoft Security Essentials.

I am waiting for a call from Norton as it came in yesterday and left a msg. I'll see what they say.

Not to sound like an advert, but ESET is the only way to go.

http://www.eset.com/us/home/whyeset/compare/

A) I've used it for 3 years now, and never had ANY kind of issue with CM or anything else,

B) For the 3rd year in a row, I caught ESET NOD32 antivirus 4 on sale at Newegg for $20 for a three-user license. That's the home box, the laptop & my brothers' computer covered for a year for less than $7 a piece.

C) If you scroll down the above link, you'll see that it also sports the smallest system 'footprint' of any A/V software.

D) No, I do not work for this company, or in the IT space at all. I'm simply recommending a good product that works, after seeing so many complaints about other A/V software.

Appreciate all the ideas.

I'm waiting for tomorrow when Norton tech is suppose to call to tell me how to download what their system is refusing. I've tried to do this thru their firewall but it did not work. I'll see what they say tomorrow and then decide.

Norton removes the download before it finishes as a MH690A.

Tech support says to enter cmfortressitaly.exe. as an exception in Norton. I know how to do this but: 1) I understand from the internet this does not always work. 2) But how can I even do that since I cannot enter the file I must browse for it ?

I know I can disable Norton for 15". Is that a good idea. I just switched from Micrsoft Security to Norton because I had a trojan that slipped thru Microsoft.

I had the initial install issue with the Fortress Italy demo but was able to get it running.

I have Norton 360. I had some trouble with Microsoft Security Essentials myself. Consumers Report had a good review so I gave it a try. Norton has done very well in catching potential viruses and it stays in the background unless it detects a virus attack. This was my 1st software install issue with Norton running.

In order to allow the proper file you would look under the Task tab. There is an icon called Restore Files. Click on this and you will see a file with the Fortress Italy heading. I restored this to the desktop.

This is the short version of what I did, I don't think you'd have to take some of the other steps (such as a game uninstall and reinstall) that I did. I'm not very computer literate but I got things up and running.

If you do hear back from Norton I'd be curious if they told you something different than I did.

Please share the steps you took to get the game running. Norton will let you play the game, you just have to restore an important file.

Once again appreciate all your help.

Norton and I finally got connected by phone. They took control of my PC and loaded both the Commonwealth and Fortress Italy. It was excellent service and took maybe 15".

I asked for the protocol tp do what the tech did as it was too fast for me to follow. I mentioned that a "help line" said to go into and change the firewall settings but the tech said that was not the issue. The tech then said I should not have this issue with any other games (not sure I believe this) so I'll see soon as I must reinstall my Total War games and Silent Hunter IV or when the next releases are made in this CM series especially Baration44.