Eichenbaum, oh Eichenbaum...

It has been some time since Eichenbaum visited BFC -

I sent him an email to the addy attached to his marvellous Operation Storfang Mods, and it bounced back - the various websites he has posted here over the years are gone too.

I would like to use the OSF Mods for a Tourney at WeBoB, and wanted to ask permission first.

If anyone knows how to contact E or the man himself visits here, please either post in this thread or you can contact me via

ant2man<at>iinet.net.au

Thanks.

Hi Cranky - Don't know how to contact him if his published contact no longer works and he won't respond to a PM, but I had similar issues when working on my offerings so here's my thoughts:

It seemed to me (when I was trawling through all the CMMODS mods) that his OSF stuff included some remodded bits of others' work - which if correct would invalidate his idea of ownership or restricted use of the mods. I never re-used any OSF stuff, but in any case, I think CMMODS has always had a policy that mods are offered freely and without restrictions attached (which would also invalidate even Andrew Fox's original demands that people can't alter his mods without his approval). With my stuff, I tried out of ethics/politeness to contact fellow modders whose work I was regurgitating in some fashion to seek their blessing (those few who replied all appreciated being asked and said yes, but some had emails that didn't work or had blocked PMs, and others just didn't reply - which I took as being that they didn't say "no". Whilst it is an ethical must (I think) to credit where you get things from (because of the effort that people have put into it), I think most sensible modders would just be happy that their work was being credited and getting a new lease of life - especially with CM1 stuff when most cutting-edge modders have long-since moved on.

But anyway (aside from the fact that once "out there" there's no way of effectively policing a free mod), if Eichenbaum was really still concerned about it he'd have updated his contact details. So, you tried, and you credit him - that's good enough. But in your case it seems you could just tell people taking part in the tourney as to which Eichenbaum mods to use from CMMODS instead of repackaging them? That wouldn't require seeking anyone's blessing.

Thanks for your thoughts, Streety.

I came to more or less the same conclusion after sending emails to 3 different addys and getting 'undeliverable' reports.

Full credit to Eichenbaum, and thanks so much for all his work.

Re-packaged for convenience only.

I DID get in contact with Magomar, who authored the rest of the Mods I want to use, and he was very supportive and encouraging - pleased that his art is getting another airing.

• 2 months later...