Villiers-Bocage scenario or map?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much help but I had considered it. I've stack of reference books but decided it was too large to accurately recreate. Also I thought the main part of the attack - wittmann's ambush would not make that interesting a cmbn battle. Instead I'm creating a scenario that covers Wittmann' last action outside Cintheaux in August 1944.

I'm just heading off on my hols so it'll be at least early November before its out.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey that´s great news. It was great fun for me to do the CMBO and CMAK versions. Oh the memories :-)

Feel free to use my old maps if you find them helpful.

cheers

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately I've removed CMAK from my hard drive. I've a lot of references though including aerial shots and 1:25000 map of the area. Hopefully I can do justice to the actual terrain and the action.

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately I've removed CMAK from my hard drive. I've a lot of references though including aerial shots and 1:25000 map of the area. Hopefully I can do justice to the actual terrain and the action.

Hi George,

back then in the year 2000 (is it really 12 years ago ?) I used besides various printed sources - 1/25000 map 16130 Series Bleue "Bretteville zur Laize" IGN in combination with the sketch on page 427 and the map on page 428 of Agtes book and the RAF photo reconnaissance picture that you can get from Keele university. It is afaik also printed in the After the Battle issue 48 ISSN: 0306-154X on page 48.

I really can recommend Ken Tout and Brian Reids work on the matter. You find an excellent sketch on page 416 of Reids book.

I´m really looking forward to your map and the scenario you are working on.

cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Just a wee update.

I've finished the map and started placing units on it. The map was a real challenge mostly due to shaping the CMBN scenario terrain tools to 'fit' the real world layout. I had to make a lot of compromises but after playing about with it and driving around it reckon it does the job. Although guess it'll be down to players to pass judgement on that aspect. :)

Some sneak previews of the area where Wittmann's attack was stopped.

lookingncintheaux.jpg

Above: View looking south towards Cintheaux.

Below: view looking south east towards. A Squadron's position was the right hand tip of that jutting out section of woodland (orchard).

viewspetitravine.jpg

Below: View looking north from approx. position of where Wittmann and his crew were killed. This is the same view as is shown in the well known photo of Tiger 007 with it's turret off.

lookingswittmannstiger.jpg

If you have not seen this documentary about this battle it is very well done. Suggests the Canadian's bagged him, with field tests of sight lines and such.

Michael Wittmann's Last Battle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RWAM8iZUfQ

Looking very good George MC.

Yeah I've seen this. What irked me is the Black Baron thing is a post war invention. None of the Allied tankers had even heard of him at the time. However, re the programme the producers gloss over or ignore some key facts about the event. One I found very odd was the view facing east was restricted, in 1944 by several farms/outbuildings and orchards (Ref 1944 aerial photo pre battle).

In saying that when play testing on the map it is possible to get some keyhole positions facing east and engage the Tigers moving north. My own view, FWIW is that the Tigers were caught in a crossfire and it's entirely possible that some of the Tigers were hit from multiple sources. So the same Tiger was killed by multiple Allied Shermans - Yeomanry or Sherbrooke. Still it's a fascinating piece of battlefield archaeology just a bit overshadowed by too many assumptions and maybe a wee agenda?