New file at the Repository: Competent Incompetence (Campaign) (2012-08-21)

Great idea... If only there was some way that that troops could improve between successful missions (like in Silent Hunter for example). Then you'd have the real satisfaction of training your men.

I suppose with branching operational scenarios, the WIN branch could have better quality after each win, while the lose branch gets worse (or better still doesn't improve as quickly).

Thank you good to see that some still like it. Good and bad critics are always welcome because I use them to improve my mapping skills.

I think I will make one more until the end of the year. Probably the Salang Pass but from the Mujahideen point of view.

Btw I am the author of the campaign if you havent figured out allready :-)

Hi DeeYay,

This morning I realized two things:

1. I suck at CM:A

2. I almost never finish campaigns that I start

I saw this and thought, "this would be the perfect way to help me fix both problems." :D

I've played through the first two missions and they're quite fun. I concentrated on not screwing up the way I usually screw CM:A up (namely, pretending I'm playing CM:SF as Blue and wondering why all of my infantry rout immediately ;)), and I had a really good time. Looking forward to the 3rd mission and beyond!

SPOILERS

One piece of advice I would give, though, regarding the second mission, is to not start the player out in contact with enemy forces, particularly heavy weapons teams. It loses a lot of the immersion for the player because I immediately think, "wait, what? Why did my guys just let them set up those SPGs in range without doing anything about it?" Nevertheless, that SPG section was quite a fun challenge to overcome, and I still had a great time with the scen all told. Just something to keep in mind for the future.

END SPOILERS

I have yet to play that scenario, but as frustrating as it sounds, I figure it's really the only way to simulate a really nasty ambush.

Experienced players will scout/recon and would never/rarely get a major part of their forces ambushed otherwise.

SPOILERS

But it's not an ambush. ;) The scenario is one where the player is defending a static location and then counterattacking.

I realize that that technique has its place in ambush scenarios, though. In this case, though, the designer should make it clear in the briefing that "look, the ambush has already happened, and your guys are under fire already. Plan accordingly." In this case, though, it represents a Mujahideen attack on a Soviet-held bridge. I made plans to move my mobile reserves out to gain better fields of fire before the enemy arrived in force and then I hit go. The defenders of the bridge, already in position, spotted these two SPG-9s immediately and I thought, "Whoa, wtf? Why did my defenders [who had been ostensibly sitting there in defensive positions for several hours already] not prevent these guys from setting their guns up?" and I needed to recast my entire plan. Again, it worked out OK and I still had a lot of fun, but it probably shouldn't happen. Just my $.02 on scenario design.

END SPOILERS

yeah I have absolutely though of that. But you can also see it like this: that spg section was fully hidden in the bushes until later that day or maybe the enemy brough it up while your forces where busy? But nevertheless the reason for that section is that I wish to place it on a good position to overwatch and dominate the area.

I take that feedback into account. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Am on mission #2 and really enjoying this campaign. I wish we had campaigns as interesting as this in CMBN or CMFI. For some reason the character of those two newer titles is very "claustrophobic" and nearly all available scenarios and campaigns seem to offer very conventional frontal assaults. Am really starting to appreciate CMA and CMSF all over again.

I have tried the demos and I think that the editor has a little more potential in CMBN and CMFI than in CMA (for example weather, bridges). I am a student so I cant really afford CMBN or CMFI yet but I will definately get them as soon as possible and start creating some campaigns.

Thank you very much for the kind appreciation!

Btw does anyone know how I add thumbnails to the repository?