Problem with elicen40.dll

Hi. I just bought a digital download version of CM:SF to replace my old Paradox retail version.

I tried installing on a desktop computer (Win 7 64bit, pretty clean install, Avast); I've had it running on this machine with this OS before. CM:BN+CF and CM:FI but not CM:A are also installed on the machine.

When I run the installer it completes and installs version 1.11 of the base game. When the game runs it fails with exception code: 0xc0000005

Event viewer says there is a problem with elicen40.dll

I am well used to installing CM:SF. :)

I have tried every combination of patches and modules I can think of, from "base game - no patches" up to "all modules patched to 1.32" but it doesn't look to me like this is where the issue lies - the elicence just isn't starting and this is stopping the game from going further.

I have been careful to run everything with admin rights.

I have tried installing to different folder locations.

I have had a quick trawl through the registry to remove references to Shock Force before trying reinstalls.

To confirm this (and verify the download, although I'd already taken it twice to check the file size) I tried installing the game on a laptop computer (Vista, 32bit) which was the only other thing I had to hand; it ran fine and started the elicence program at about the part where it crashes on the other machine.

Can anyone suggest anything (preferably short of "reinstall Windows", which is very much a last resort) to try? Anyone had a similar issue?