Again...real time or turn based wego?

What strikes me after playing all the combat mission games is that, ever since realtime option was introduced, the smaller scenario's are best played in realtime and the larger fights in turnbased. Smaller scenario's demands less soldiers to control while larger scenario's (like for instance in 'Hot Mustard') become so big that it is impossible to control them all at the same time. When you play those larger scenario's in turnbased mode, it gives you time to assess the complete battlefield. What do you think?

Turnbased is the only WEy to GO LOL.

WEGO.

I had a situation where there was a PAK tucked down an alley for a keyhole position. I had a MG that did not have LOS on the PAK so I aimed it at the PAK but with a house in the way. The HMG shot throw a window and hammered at the wall beside the PAK for a while and after a minute or so broke threw and then spreayed the PAK disabling it. Looking at if from the PAKs view you see the wall getting beat up but holdng before the rounds start to go through and hit the crew. It was really amazing theater that you would never see in RT.

I like he flow of Real Time. It feels more real? I find with WEGO that I fast forward brought the movie or miss time my moves by turns. More control of troops in real time but less info on what happened because I can't rewind?

Need a 30 second real time buffer when pausing real time! That is a great idea!

Bobo

I've only played against the AI, but so far I prefer real time, i don't know something about having similar limitations as i would have in real life is appealing to me, not being able to take forever to plan every single move. Replay option seems like a cheat to me, if you missed what made your tank go boom or where exactly the shot came from - you missed it, simple as that. Needless to say in RT i can not effectively play scenarios that put more than a strengthened company under my command.

Obviously some folks really enjoy RT. But given that CM2 is supposed to lean towards being a "realistic" sim rather than a wrist twitcher how can a serious sim player justify stopping time every time something happens and instantly changing the orders for every unit on the map - a capability that even the most modern hi-tech military cannot do.

I concede that if you can play thru an entire scenario without any pauses, that would be somewhat realistic cos one only would have time to give orders to very few units in one area of the battlefield while one would have no idea what was going on elsewhere.

I can also see that RT being practical if you only had about one platoon in one area.

But, if you play RT and pause, RT becomes much, much easier than WEGO.

What I like about CM2 is that it is starting to enable larger maps and scenarios with battalion sized battlegroups.

I've only played against the AI, but so far I prefer real time, i don't know something about having similar limitations as i would have in real life is appealing to me, not being able to take forever to plan every single move. Replay option seems like a cheat to me, if you missed what made your tank go boom or where exactly the shot came from - you missed it, simple as that. Needless to say in RT i can not effectively play scenarios that put more than a strengthened company under my command.

The converse of that point of view is that while you, the player, might have missed something, the actual pTruppen closer by might well have not, and might well be able to react to whatever it was. I cleave to the view that the player is taking the part of every squad sergeant and vehicle commander, as well as the Bttn Old Man sitting at the back, and so watching the fate of each stick of men is how the game is meant to be played.

In addition, doing it that way lets you see when one of your guys successfully pulls a "Rambo". I watched the survivor of a TH team play hide and seek with at least a squad of Dogfaces in some broken ground; he killed half a dozen and the rest ran off, and that was after tackling an armoured car... In his case, he was the only unit that had spots on the Amis, so I wasn't even being very Borgy when I gave him his orders for those two minutes. Memorable moments that either might not have happened, or I might have missed, for watching the ATG brew up Shermans on the other side of the river.

Obviously some folks really enjoy RT. But given that CM2 is supposed to lean towards being a "realistic" sim rather than a wrist twitcher how can a serious sim player justify stopping time every time something happens and instantly changing the orders for every unit on the map - a capability that even the most modern hi-tech military cannot do.

I concede that if you can play thru an entire scenario without any pauses, that would be somewhat realistic cos one only would have time to give orders to very few units in one area of the battlefield while one would have no idea what was going on elsewhere.

I can also see that RT being practical if you only had about one platoon in one area.

But, if you play RT and pause, RT becomes much, much easier than WEGO.

What I like about CM2 is that it is starting to enable larger maps and scenarios with battalion sized battlegroups.

Bobby! What in the heck are you talking about?

How is stopping every minute realistic? It's a game dude! Play how you like. Real Time, WEGO, against the AI, against players worse than you. Whatever.

Bobo

"It's a game dude! Play how you like."

I completely agree.

If you actually read the thread you would understand I was commenting on kuri's point re: "...having similar limitations as i would have in real life is appealing..." and pointing out that playing RT and pausing whenever you want is the same as removing all limitations.

Of course you can play any way you want.

I completely agree.

If you actually read the thread you would understand I was commenting on kuri's point re: "...having similar limitations as i would have in real life is appealing..." and pointing out that playing RT and pausing whenever you want is the same as removing all limitations.

Read? I ain't got time to read... What movie is that sort of from? Anyone?

Bobo

I completely agree.

You are correct sir! I should have quotes kuri instead.

Apologies.

Bobo

Posting a lot more.

I play mainly WEGO, but play small QB meeting engagements now and then in REAL TIME enjoying that experience too. Overall I think the game currently plays best in WEGO mainly because of it's REAL TIME short comings that it has now. Of the two styles of play I think its REAL TIME aspect has WAY more potential than it has at this point in it's development.

Here are the improvements that address all the turn offs to REAL TIME making it more enjoyable and manageable to play:

1st Force Management -

The problem with all RT is games is the ability to have 360 degree situational awareness at all times no matter the camera view. "The Roster" tool addresses this in an easy to follow way. To read about it check the concept thread. The last graphic version is toward the end of the thread.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=104982&highlight=roster

2nd Real Time Multiplayer Support -

Currently there is none, but when 1 is done RT would become more popular. There needs to be a way to find games real time. This grows an RT community, and lays the ground work for step 3.

3rd - REAL TIME Multiplayer more than 1v1

This would be the greatest evolution of the REAL TIME capability of the game. Of all the game has to offer I think this gives it it's largest growth potential in many ways. Team play is how REAL TIME games are meant to be played, and how they flourish the most. I see a game similar to ARMA's approach has been to the FPS genre. For those not familiar with ARMA check out some of the 2, or 3 youtube videos, and you will see it is something of a FPS cousin to Combat Mission. I could see a lot of those players digging playing CM with team play, and can also see it's radio feature in CM coop multi. Here is a concept I put together that talks about it in depth.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=109832&highlight=multiplayer

Anyway, these are what would grow, and improve CM REAL TIME the way I see it. Beyond that I can say in playing CM both in real time, and in WEGO the way it is now you do need to approach playing REAL TIME in a different way to play effectively. REAL TIME requires a different mind set, and keeping a more top view of the force.

Both styles of play offer different experiences that can both be enjoyed, but REAL TIME needs further development to see its fullest potential.

As a single player, what I would really like to see is the ability to switch between RT and WEGO mid game. I prefer RT in the early stages of the game, then when there is contact and, particularly, CQB, I prefer WEGO style turn plotting and replays. I guess the half way house would be a replay feature in RT.

"I prefer RT in the early stages of the game..."

I can understand that as many (not all) designers will allow a generous amount of real estate to be traversed before contact is made. But, it's just as easy to keep pressing the GO button if you're in a hurry.

On the other hand, some designers ambush you very quickly. So, beware.