Operational game to go with CMFI?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I like the idea of a campaign centered around a single regiment trying to hold terrain till being relieved. I am figuring a number of months commitment by very few, not a labor of years by many.

I agree, and that's pretty much what Kuderian and i are doing now, my forces are three battalions of SS Pz GD, 50 PzIV's, a screening force of low quality troops from the 736th GD Reg, and a heap of artillery, with the bulk of the victory objectives located in a 5 x 5 km area, with a decent amount of operational space either side for operational flanking manouvers, anything bigger would be a bit too much for just 2 players i think.

The operation lasts from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm (8 turns), however there is a version of this PzC scenario covering the next 16 hour time period with the historical operational reinforcements for both sides appearing, which i am tempted to tack on to the present operation as the forces fighting now will no doubt be blown and will probably leave the fielod for the new ones, which keeps the OOB's within managable parameters.

Erwin - AH Anzio was a fairly horrible game. Pretty map, the rest was dated the day it was printed. Unrealistic game tactics. Occasionally you could get static defensive lines across the *****ula that might hold a couple of turns - the closest it ever got to realism in any respect. Yes it was about the first to actually cover the campaign. Alas, that is about all it can say for itself. FWIW...

• 2 months later...

Bit of an old thread, but I just have to recommend Conquest of the Aegean. Not the exact setting you're looking for but if you want mountains terrain it should be right up your alley. I actually bought it a while ago but only just started playing it recently. It's very very addicting and well put together. The AI is also the best I've ever seen in a wargame. The game I was just playing had me attempting to stall a German Panzer division with of couple armor battalions and a few units of infantry and AT. The AI repeatedly sent recce probes deep in my rear to attempt to cut off my armor formations which were doing most of the stalling work while I had my infantry and AT units setting up at ambush points.

For an operational game, it's pretty crazily immersive and I was getting a kick out of how well one battery of 2 pounders---which I'd nestled at the top of a hill in between two forested areas---performed, managing to destroy two enemy recce companies and forcing the retreat of multiple armored units. They pretty much single handedly ended up holding up the advance of an entire enemy armored battalion as well as forcing my AI opponent to divert loads of resources to finish them off.

Anyways it's a great game. It's part of a series though and you might want to buy the latest one "Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge" as it has a few more features.

Anyways it's a great game. It's part of a series though and you might want to buy the latest one "Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge" as it has a few more features.

And TO&E and map editor allows you to have any setting you want in the current engine. And the CotA scenarios are being updated to be released as an add-on for BftB.

I have PzC Sicily '43, and i am in the process of preparing a scenario from it to play as an umpired operation in conjunction with CMFI.

What i will be doing is creating an Allied and Axis thread on the CMFI forum, then i will post screenshots of the operational map with a terrain key and an elevation key, the maps will also show the OOB's of each friendly occupied hex, any visible enemy units, victory objectives, and each unit types maximum move distance for each turn.

There will be no CO's, the operational moves will be determined by anyone who wants to put their ideas forward, then if a single plan comes out of the discussions generated, i will perform the operational moves on my version of PzC Sicily 43, if there is a split between plans, there can be a vote, if that is inconclusive, i will flip a coin.

(As all CM battles will be PBEM games, any players wishing to play an operational CM battle will need to be able to generate at least one turn a day).

When a CM battle is created, i would want each side to nominate a player to play it, and also to produce a DAR, if the player wins the battle they get to play another one, however, if a player loses, that player can be replaced for the next battle if that is what the team decides.

As all members of the BF forum will have access to both sides, FOW will be maintained by the integrity of the participants, however if the Allies peek, then we can put that down to Ultra, and if the Axis peek, we can assume the Abwehr have finally got their act together :)

The scenario i have in mind is the Herman Goering Divisions attack on the Allied landings at Gela, the reason i chose this is because of the interesting OOB's, and the unique nature of this particular engagement.

I have been looking at the QB maps for CMFI and i have found a few that will suit the PzC scenario i am using.

I am currently building the CMFI OOB's of all the units that are going to participate, this OOB will be used to track combat effects, and each side will have access to their sides CM OOB to check the status of each unit, the OOB's will be available via a public dropbox that i will put a link to in my signature when the time comes.

I hope to get this "open" operation started next week.

Sounds great noob. I might have to come out of my shell and try it. Only trouble for me are DAR's /AAR's, as I have only so much time for gaming and really do not have it for making DAR's /AAR's. I nit pick way too much, so it would take me way to long to make one up. :)

That is what makes me ask this question... As I am more of a solo against the AI kind of gamer, is it possible to have the AI take over the operational aspect in Panzer Campaign's? If not I guess I could try it being both sides. I would assume CM battles that result from the PzC's layer wouldn't be an issue played solo against the AI?

Thanks for your effort with this project.

Sounds great noob. I might have to come out of my shell and try it. Only trouble for me are DAR's /AAR's, as I have only so much time for gaming and really do not have it for making DAR's /AAR's. I nit pick way too much, so it would take me way to long to make one up. :)

That is what makes me ask this question... As I am more of a solo against the AI kind of gamer, is it possible to have the AI take over the operational aspect in Panzer Campaign's? If not I guess I could try it being both sides. I would assume CM battles that result from the PzC's layer wouldn't be an issue played solo against the AI?

Thanks for your effort with this project.

I am putting the concept of the open to all comers operation played out in real time on the forums in hibernation until CM Eastern Front comes out, this will give me time to test and perfect my system using Panzer Campaigns as the operational layer, so, once 2.0 is released, i am going to resume the H2H PBEM CMBN operation that stalled, once this is played through with a full operational and tactical AAR, any niggles with the rules or system will be solved, then i can do a public operation on the Russian front.

As for playing Panzer Campaigns against the AI, the problem would lie in the inability to stop the AI initiating and resolving an assault when you want to resolve it in CM, the only way round it would be to neuter the units by removing their assault values, and thus the ability to assault, then either resolve all contacts using CM, or just the big ones, and use a paper method to resolve the skirmishes.

I am writing up a new tutorial at the moment to show how to graft Panzer Campaigns (PC) with Combat Mission (CM) which i'm calling CMPC Operations, so watch this space.