Thanks for the shader fix!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks xian. I'm glad you like them, even if the game is running slowly for you. We'll keep working on the performance problems you've been having, but I don't think it's directly related to the shaders. These alternate shaders would probably not do you any favors, though, in the FPS department. Older cards like yours will likely see a big performance hit from them.

As mentioned in the notes - this is definitely a YMMV alternative to the main shaders. Also, some older cards may not support them at all, so please do pull them out if you're having trouble after installing them.

Hey Phil, sorry about that, figured it was such a minor thing that didn't warrant it's own thread so I thought I'd mention it here.

I'm currently running on an ancient GeForce 8800 GT and I'm seeing a roughly 5-10% drop in FPS with the hotfix shaders even if I have both shadows and shaders toggled off. I never play with shadows anyway, the edges are jagged and they kill my FPS.

I've pretty much never had CMx2 crash on me, but 2.0 does it pretty often now, even if I play with shaders off. It's time to upgrade my rig soon. I don't think many people play with graphics hardware this old, so it's probably best not to spend time figuring out why.

Radeon HD 5770 here, looking really good with the new shaders. I was already seeing a massive improvement over CMBN, but with the hotfix the shadows have really been cleaned up and I didn't see any of the minor oddities (bits of misplaced shadows on some models) that I was with CMFI 1.00

There is still a bit of the wavy lines on certain sides of buildings, but other than that everything looks to be working as intended.

Pardon my ignorance. What do Shaders do other than help with shadows and detail on vehicles? The things I notice with my Nvidia card is that it brightens up tanks and troops a bit. Does that make sense or am I imaging it?

Thanks,

Gerry

The shaders implement normal mapping (detail on vehicles and soldiers) and give us more control over shadows, but more importantly, to my mind, they allow per-pixel lighting for all effected 3D models. This is a pretty vast improvement over the old lighting methods in terms of lighting accuracy.

You'll see on buildings, vehicles, etc., that light has much finer gradations, and that shadows are cast much more consistently and on a wider variety of objects. It may brighten / darken things simply due to the fact that we're calculating lighting effects at a much lower level - basically we were painting the effects of light with a very broad brush before; now we're painting it with a single sable hair. :)

If you're not seeing much difference, it may be due to the fact that per-pixel lighting is far more natural than the old method. It'll hopefully just look more "right" as opposed to popping out at you. It could also be that your card may not fully support the shaders. If you really don't see much difference please post your video card specs.

Tried installing the new NVidia shaders, no difference of any kind, shadows are still jaggy mess. :(

What's the make / model of your video card? What OS are you running?