Work In Progress: Mord's Unit Portraits

Just thought I'd let you guys see what's in the pipe line. Got some new CMFI portraits I'm working on. New faces, new background, even have formation DUI for the US in the same vein as the Commonwealth portraits. Actually I am near done updating the CMBN/CW portraits as well but I got so burned out it's taken me forever.

The first version of this CMFI mod might be units only pertaining to Sicily, haven't decided yet. Either way I plan on completing all the portraits for the theater.

First up...USA.

previewtw.jpg

Hope you like them.

Mord.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again, guys. Glad people are digging what they see.

Fizou, I've loaded it in and it is working fine. The only problem would be when you are playing against Italians...LOl you'll hear guys shouting they've spotted Germans, other than that it's good to go.

@Teacher...I like Mordette...has a certain ring.

Mord.

Thanks Mord! I think I will have a closer look at the individual files and maybee remove the "Kraut" files. But this mod is realy a must have. I guess there is no way for the game to tell German and italians appart and maybe a coding effort not worth while either.

• 1 year later...

Something NEW for you guys to chew on. Considering this thread is almost a year and a half old it's probably about time and long over due! That goes to show you how burnt out that original CW portrait mod had me on modding. I don't know how Aris does it.

Anyway, take a gander.

d8s3.jpg

You can pretty much disregard the pics at the beginning of this thread. I don't like them and will no doubt redo them along with the Italian portraits in this screenshot as they are just as old and tired looking in my opinion.

As you can see this isn't just the CMBN faces ported over to CMFI with patches and stuff thrown on. I am looking to do a fresh mod with as many new faces as possible, so you don't get bored if you own both games. Though it's hard when there are only a couple face textures that lend themselves to decent screen shots, shrinking, and being halved in photoshop.

To give you an idea of what goes on just to get one decent face, I pick a bunch of units in the CMFI editor, take some close ups with FRAPS, port them into Adobe and erase the backgrounds, then test and retest them in my template, resizing and manipulating them until I get one that looks good. A lot of times they look great until they are shrunk down and I am only showing half of them in the portrait window. Sometimes I have to cut pieces off other faces I've used; eyes, nose, mouth, or combinations there of, put them on the face I am working on, then blend them to keep from having a bunch of dudes that all look the same. It's laborious as hell but then sometimes I get one that is just awesome...most of the time adequate but useable. Sometimes, after they sit on my HD for awhile (like the Italians and US faces) I'll come back to them and hate them...and start the process all over again. LOL I am my own worst enemy.

So, I am plugging away. And DC is firing up his CW brain...so you know what that means. It's gonna be comprehensive.

Mord.

Thanks guys.

@Buzz...LOL that is the short explanation...and just for the face itself. I could do a couple paragraphs on the entire process. But once you have templates made it does help a bit.

@Canada Guy. It's mostly a question of continuity, the real faces look way different, more real, and throw the design theme out of whack. And then there's finding pics of faces were the angle is straight on. But then most of the time I'd have to make a helmet for them and so on. Much harder. Not out of the question for modern though, as I actually did this for CMSF and CMA. Lots more quality color photos of today's military. But I have to say the CMSF/A face portraits suck compared to these, seeing that I've added a lot of tricks and new techniques to my tool box since then.

Mord.

Here's an update of what I have so far. I switched gears and decided to design all the faces before doing any of the full portraits with backgrounds (after already having 194 done). That way if I feel I need to resize, readjust, or redesign a face I won't have to go back and redo a couple hundred portraits (wish I'd thought of that before I'd done the others). I have probably have over 400 portraits that I have designed for this so far just to get to the point I am at now. Once I get the faces out of the way I can get to making the various styles.

4op4.jpg

Mord.

Yeah...I fear the East Front, trust me on that one!

Ok pretty much the final faces. Maybe a couple more slight tweaks. I can't even count how many times I have redone each one. I probably have about 60 hours in, just on the faces. That's no joke. I'll probably spend one more day making sure I am completely happy with them and then start on making the styles. You'll notice the heads are smaller than the CMBN portraits, which I think looks better, only problem is it makes me want to redo the CMBN mod now. *SIGH* That's a can of worms I definitely don't want to open!

n9rz.jpg

qvz1.jpg

Here's something new that sidetracked me for a couple days last week (actually it was nice to take a break from the heads/faces). I may or may not pursue these once I get this mod finished. I kinda like them as they are much more generic...but I am not all that keen on the TC pics.

80b3.jpg

Mord.