Axis Side - 20 000 point Quick Battle DAR

First contact. One of 5 Company's 75mm gun Hts spots a Churchill on the other side of the valley. The recon 250/9 spots a second Churchill near by.

010Minute158-157-5CoSpotsEnemyTanks.jpg

The lead members of 1 Battery arrive at the Orchard near the first river crossing.

009Minute158-157-1BatteryAtOrchard.jpg

3 Company's first platoon arrives in the Orchard on the other side of the village.

008Minute158-157-MembersOf3CoInOrchard.jpg

Minute 1:57 Orders:

I give fine tuning orders to 3 platoon of 1 Battery to take up positions in the Orchard to cover the approaches to the village with the road bridge crossing.

011Minute157-OrdersInOrchard.jpg

Since the recon 250/9 is no match for a Churchill I back the half track off and an assault gun takes his place. With any luck the StugIII will spot the Churchill too.

012Minute157-OrdersPositiningToEngageEnemyTanks.jpg

What I don't show is that the group of 5 Company Half Tracks in the field waiting to move out. One of them has spotted a Churchill so they all have to move. I give all 12 of them orders that takes the lead vehicles into the tress and the rest up close to the tree line. Hopefully that will be enough to break contact with the Churchill - if it has spotted them. Not a gamble I am willing to take.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to request that you use the toggle for lighter night as I can't see anything in your screenshots. (But, that's only in CMFI until the upgrade lol.)

LOL I was thinking that while I watched my turns. It is just after dawn so the light will get better as the game goes on.

Excellent concept and execution. Huge seems too small for me now, so this idea is perfect for me.

I do hope you have ammo'd up from all those soft vehicles before putting them in harm's way. ;) It can suck to see thousands of rounds go up with a truck from a random HMG burst. Better to waddle after a long ride than run and use up all your ammo.

Excellent concept and execution. Huge seems too small for me now, so this idea is perfect for me.

I am glad you like the idea. I do hope others will try this concept out too. That's what the instructions referenced in the first post are for.

I do hope you have ammo'd up from all those soft vehicles before putting them in harm's way. ;) It can suck to see thousands of rounds go up with a truck from a random HMG burst. Better to waddle after a long ride than run and use up all your ammo.

Yes, I failed to mention that. The first thing I did was give each squad a additional 1000 rounds of 7.92 and 100-200 additional rounds of 9mm. Snipers too (each company has a sniper team attached to a platoon). Note that I have no intention of putting trucks in harms way. They will be well back from the fighting and only move up when I need to move a long way again. They each still have lots and lots of amo available. In addition for 5 Company I made sure that each Pazer Fuast was acquired by a squad.

First shot fired! One of my Panthers following up 1 Battery and 5 Company spots a Churchill on a hill across the valley. I forgot to look at how far it is but the shot was high and sailed right off the map. The Panthers are waiting on the tree line just south of the Village near the road bridge waiting for the assault guns to take up positions in the orchard beyond the Village.

013Minute157-156-FirstShot.jpg

3 Company disembark from their transports in the Orchard just south of the Village near the Road Bridge. The plan is for them to leave their trucks under cover in the Orchard and then advance into the village securing it and then being a river crossing to secure a bridge head as well. The first platoon will secure the Orchard and obverse the Village while the rest of the company arrives.

014Minute157-156-3CoSetsupInOrchard.jpg

1 Platoon from 3 Company fans out to secure the Orchard while the rest of 3 Company arrive. Their trucks will stay in the cover of the Orchard while the company deploys into the Village.

015Minute156Orders-1And2Platoon3Co.jpg

The convoy over the bridge has bunched up. I give pause orders down the line to spread the vehicles back out. By the time I was up to the corner the pause time was already at 1:15 so no new vehicles will be added to the convoy this turn. It is taking longer for each vehicle to cross the bridge than expected. I will just have to take that into account when I setup the pauses for the vehicles.

016Minute156Orders-1Battery1CoConvoyManagment.jpg

North of the Village elements of 1 Battery take positions in the orchard to cover the bridge. The plan is that once the Orchard surrounding the village are secure we can move to create a bridge head over the river. Also we agreed that we would allow preplanned bombardment but only after 10 minutes. So I am in no rush to just move directly onto the objective just yet.

017Minute156Orders-1BatteryCoverBridgeApporch.jpg

Meanwhile to the West of the Village 5 Company is moving in convoy along the road to take the high ground North of the Village in preparation of an eventual assault on the Norther Village with the rail crossing. I add two platoons to the end of the convoy.

019Minute156Orders-5CoMovingUp.jpg

5 Company's recon half tracks spotted Churchills so it is time for them to get out of the line of fire and move Stugs up to take their place. Hopefully the Stugs will engage the Churchills.

020Minute156Orders-5CoReconMovesUp.jpg

While plotting the moves for this turn I took some video of the convoys in action. Here are some thoughts on convoy management:

3 Battery moving with no issues

http://youtu.be/4lAM1-FINhg

Traffic is clogging up near the bridge

http://youtu.be/PV9iNQaeFVQ

Managing the traffic flow over the bridge

http://youtu.be/HUyYsRTbxVc

Managing 5 Company's convoy

http://youtu.be/WucSC8KLx7o

A few shots were fired this turn – by my side. Most of the turn was still moving into position to begin searching for first contact. On my left flank here is the lead positions of 1 Battery. 5 Company's recon Half tracks successfully extracted them selves and have been replaced by Stugs.

021Minute156-155-1BatterysPosition.jpg

Near by 3 Company is deploying into the Orchard.

022Minute156-155-OrchardSetup.jpg

One of the Stugs from 1 Battery spots a Churchill tank on the other side of the valley (one of the Churchill tanks originally spotted by the Recon Half tracks and the Panther). Fires:

023Minute156-155-FireAtChurchil.jpg

And Hits:

024Minute156-155-HitChurchill.jpg

Mean while the Panther also fires at the same Churchill.

025Minute156-155-FireAtChurchillAgain.jpg

And hits...

026Minute156-155-HitChurchillAgain.jpg

I counted five hits on that Churchill tank's turret. No penetrations and the enemy tank moves out of view.

1 Company begins to deploy into the tree line near the town.

027Minute156-155-1CoAnd2Battery.jpg

More of the same kind of orders – moving forward looking for the enemy along with some moving in convoy in safe areas. The bridge is still a bottle neck but the bunching up is getting better instead of worse.

5 Company's Recon elements move forward while 1 Battery protects them from the top of the hill. 5 Company itself is going to have to move through this area to get to the tree line so elements of 1 Battery will stay here to keep the enemy tanks from getting an opportunity to pick off 5 Company's half tracks.

028Minute155Orders-5CoRecon.jpg

3 Company deploys into the orchard. They will stay here and observe the village – perhaps sending in scouts while I see if any artillery fall on the objective in the next few minutes.

029Minute155Orders-3CoAssembly.jpg

Elements of 1 Company begin to deploy into the tree line near the town. The infantry will begin to scout forward from here towards the town.

030Minute155Orders-1Co2Bat.jpg

3 Battery arriving at its staging area. I tweak their orders to better provide cover on my right flank and make sure they are in a good position should they be needed to support the assault on the town.

031Minute155Orders-Adjust3Batt.jpg

While plotting the moves for this turn I took some video of the convoys in action. Here are some thoughts on convoy management:

3 Battery moving with no issues

http://youtu.be/4lAM1-FINhg

Traffic is clogging up near the bridge

http://youtu.be/PV9iNQaeFVQ

Managing the traffic flow over the bridge

http://youtu.be/HUyYsRTbxVc

Managing 5 Company's convoy

http://youtu.be/WucSC8KLx7o

I recorded follow up movies so you can see how these move orders played out. It will take me a while to produce them and put them up because I am going to play turns for a few days instead of play with video. :D

Not a lot of action this turn. My men are still moving to contact. Some of the enemy's recon forces are spotted but that is about it.

Members of 1 Company have dismounted and are taking up positions in the tree line.

032Minute155-154-1CoAtTreeLine.jpg

The sniper from 3 company has spotted a Staghound armoured car approaching the other side of the bridge.

033Minute155-154-3CoSniperSpotsAC.jpg

More Half tracks from 5 Company join the convoy.

034Minute155-154-5CoMoving.jpg

More moving to contact orders. More of 5 Company joins the convoy, more fixing of congestion at the bridge. One interesting thing; I thought that one Stug from 1 Battery should have spotted that Stag hound. When I checked his position with trees turned on I could see why the crew missed the armoured card.

Stug's visibility totally blocked by the low branches of the trees. I order him to back up and reposition next to the trees.

035Minute-154Orders-Reposistion.jpg

5 company under cover from members of 1 Battery make for their jump off point in the forest at the top of the hill.

036Minute-154Orders-5CoMovesUnderCover.jpg

More work to get 1 and 2 Company and 2 Battery over the bridge.

037Minute-154Orders-BridgeStillIssue.jpg

First blood goes to me! I love it when that happens. The newly repositioned Stug and two of his mates spot the Staghound and engage.

038Minute154-153-FoundHisRecon.jpg

And hit...

039Minute154-153-TookOutHisRecon.jpg

Now you can see hot strong the wind is.

040Minute154-153-ReconBurning.jpg

All in all three assault guns take aim at the armoured car at least two of the connect.

The traffic jam at the bridge is clearing up. Things are still going slowly but the jam is smaller now.

041Minute154-153-1CoCrossingBridge.jpg

More of 2 Battery arrive to support the infantry as they take up positions in the tree line.

042Minute154-153-1CoTakingUpPositions.jpg

Still really just moving to contact – it is nice to see a sign of the enemy but it is going to take a while before this gets exciting.

The last members of 5 Company are added to the convoy.

043Minute153Orders-LastOf5CoMoving.jpg

Plus I am able to add additional vehicles from 1 Company to the convoy going over the bridge plus get 2 Company ready near the road.

044Minute153Orders-2CoStartingToGo.jpg

The Stugs that recently spotted and KO'ed the Staghound now report seeing a Scout car with personal inside. They engage.

045Minute153-152-ScoutCarSpottedMissed.jpg

It takes a couple of shots but they get it – direct hit.

046Minute153-152-ScoutCarHit.jpg

The lead elements of 1 Company spot a Churchill tank on the edge of town from there positions in the tree line.

047Minute153-152-SpottedAChurchillInTown.jpg

Taking the town will likely be a challenge.

Meanwhile on my side of the river 5 Company's recon half tracks come under fire. They barely manage to report back that a Stuart tank has destroyed one recon vehicle and engaged the other before contact is lost. Hochstadter reports that they were to far ahead to property be supported so no one in 5 Company really knows where the Stuart is. The best he can say is the enemy tank is on the rear slope of his company's forested hill top objective.

Stuart races between the recon half tracks taking out one...

048Minute153-152-HalfTrackOneDown.jpg

and then the other...

049Minute153-152-HalfTrack2Down.jpg

The traffic problems at the bridge are no sorted out but with the reported activity on that side of the river I am growing concerned that there is more on the other side of the road bridge objective than I originally barged for. Given that no one has started crossing that bridge yet; I contact 2 Company to inform them that they need to protect their left flank on the other side of the bridge. 2 Company's Braunstein is ordered to arrange for one platoon and a Panther tank to divert to secure the left flank of the convoy.

052Minute152-151-BridgeCrossingCleared.jpg

1 Company's lead platoon dash across a field between tree lines. They immediately report they have spotted a Stuart on the out skirts of the town. It does not appear to have spotted them however.

053Minute152-151-1CoAdvancing.jpg

Meanwhile 5 Company gets some much needed support on their hill. If that Stuart tank makes an appearance 5 Company will be ready.

054Minute152-151-1BattMovesUp.jpg

5 Company infantry deploy into the woods. Job one will be to find out where that Stuart tank is hiding.

055Minute152-151-5CoDeploys.jpg

With the main bridge traffic situation sorted out the remaining soft vehicles get their marching orders. That will leave only one platoon of assault guns left to move out.

056Minute151Orders-LastOf2CoJoinConvoy.jpg

As instructed 2 Company's CO, Braunstein, gets 2 Platoon and the trailing Panther tank to divert to secure the left flank of the convoy.

057Minute151Orders-APanther2PlatoonProtectFlank.jpg

Meanwhile the assault guns supporting 1 Company shift around to cover the spotted Stuart tank in the town while the infantry cross to the next tree line.

058Minute151Orders-MoveToCoverInfantry.jpg