Axis Side - 20 000 point Quick Battle DAR

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was another mad minute turn. There was lots of activity starting with some truly amazing news. The Stug that I sent to get a rear shot on those Churchill gets into position and before he is spotted he fires.

477Minute115-114-SneakUp.jpg

…and hits destroying the enemy tank.

478Minute115-114-ChurchillBehind.jpg

Just moments later the infantry nearby score a direct hit too.

479Minute115-114-FinishHimOff.jpg

And the other Shrek team hit their target too. But this tank is not destroyed and it guns down my Shrek team before they can reload.

480Minute115-114-AnotherHitAtOtherEntrance.jpg

The infantry guarding the entrance to the town find one of the Churchill tanks that had pulled back.

481Minute115-114-FoundIt.jpg

And the manage to get a solid hit from their Shrek team.

482Minute115-114-NailedIt.jpg

But alas they do not kill the tank. Instead it kills them.

483Minute115-114-StillDied.jpg

Just about all of them.

484Minute115-114-More.jpg

Meanwhile back on the farm the platoon enters the garden.

485Minute115-114-TakingTheFarm.jpg

The infantry at the farm continue to take up defensive positions and push to occupy the entire farm.

490Minute114Orders-TakeFarm.jpg

The withdrawal at the orchard is progressing well.

491Minute114Orders-Repositioning.jpg

One Churchill tank has wondered pretty close to town. There was a recent thread about having a Shrek team run between two points of cover and take a shot as they moved. I am going to try this out in a real game here.

492Minute114Orders-TankTakeDown.jpg

Meanwhile infantry continue to head into town.

493Minute114Orders-MovingIntoTown.jpg

I am glad to see that you are back to updating this DAR. It is the only one going on right now and it is very unique and exciting.

I've tried the shrek moving between two points of covering tactic before and it legitimately worked. I hope that you'll have the same luck as I did.

Nope it did not. I have to write up the turn but basically they did not see the tank. Things are pretty tight between those buildings and the LOS is not clean. So the orders I gave did not let them see the tank. I am trying the move again going the other way but with the team coming more out of cover this time.

Hope you remmebered to give them a facing order towards the tank if there is a waypoint there.

I have had success several times (accidentally discovered) by simply having a team FAST move from building A to B (no intermediate waypoints), during which they happened to see a tank, stopped their sprint, aimed, fired and killed the tank, and then continued to B.

Probably doesn't happen all the time. But, the tactic seems to work at least part or most of the time.

...I have had success several times (accidentally discovered) by simply having a team FAST move...

Oo! Fast is better, but I always thought that movement mode prioritised getting to the destination over engaging targets of opportunity... Interesting to hear that it doesn't (at least for AT teams) prioritise it all the way out of possibility.

He manages to thread the needle…

Ian, you might be interested to hear that that railway bridge was the start of this map, and the first terrain element to go down.

And the first thing I did before building any more of the map was to set a Pak40 up one side and run a Sherman towards it on the other side to see if indeed they could thread that needle. Result - one toasted Sherman in no time with a glorious shoot under the bridge arch - way cool to see for the first time.

In your battle however I did expect the keyhole to work in reverse, but maybe DT wasn't paying enough attention!

P

I usually use quick for AT movement orders because womble is right FAST prioritizes movement over firing. Looks good except you shouldnt have added the third waypoint in the middle. I would have given a diagonal move order between buildings (but there probably isnt enough time to shoot) or better yet, from buildings to the stand of trees above the buildings on the left. Oh its risky alright - if they dont do it they're almost definitely dead, but they're close enough they *should* do it. And if the tank isnt looking at them (turret pointed) they may not be spotted after first shot.

Btw Womble originally thought the AT move/fire scheme up.

Ah. Well it was one of the best workarounds I've encountered for CMx2 now. It works just great, and makes up for not being able to fire around corners, etc. To be honest, I've used it at least 2-3 dozen times and it works more often than not. I try to have my schrecks/zooks ambush, but obviously I dont always guess right within 50-100 meters (what you need for a real chance of 1st shot hit) for enemy axis of advance. Thats where the quick move orders come in.

Also it's important not to try to reposition AT teams in sight of the enemy. AT teams are bullet magnets - you want to try to reposition out of LoS. When in LoS AT teams should be hiding, or have covered arcs and not firing, or you want them dashing out to fire on their way to another piece of cover.

It works great with fausts too.

Ian, you might be interested to hear that that railway bridge was the start of this map, and the first terrain element to go down.

<snip>

In your battle however I did expect the keyhole to work in reverse, but maybe DT wasn't paying enough attention!

Cool back story to the map.

Yes, in this case the Stug had been there for several minute - covering that approach. The TD was the one moving.

Hope you remmebered to give them a facing order towards the tank if there is a waypoint there.

I have had success several times (accidentally discovered) by simply having a team FAST move from building A to B (no intermediate waypoints), during which they happened to see a tank, stopped their sprint, aimed, fired and killed the tank, and then continued to B.

Probably doesn't happen all the time. But, the tactic seems to work at least part or most of the time.

I this case the movement order is already facing the right direction because it is not a direct move across but move forward into the open and then back to cover.

At the main entrance to town my Panther and the Churchill tank duel it out. The Churchill scores some hits but the all bounce off. The Panther on the other hand does some damage.

494Minute114-113-PantherDuel.jpg

This turns into a blast fest. The Churchill does not return fire after the first two exchanges but it also does not die right away.

495Minute114-113-HitAgain.jpg

Hit after hit…

496Minute114-113-HitAgain.jpg

497Minute114-113-AndAgain.jpg

498Minute114-113-AndAgain.jpg

Until finally six hits from the Panther’s main gun the tank finally dies.

499Minute114-113-OneMoreTime.jpg

My Shrek team in the town never get a good LOF on the Churchill tank but make it to cover.

500Minute114-113-MissedIt.jpg

That tank however proves to be a real problem. It has a great keyhole line of sight between buildings and really hurts one platoon that was moving into the town from the woods.

501Minute114-113-KeyHole.jpg

It also sees the side of the Stug that KO’ed a Churchill from behind last turn. After a couple of shots to clear the trees and two more hits the Stug is destroyed. They never figure out where the shots are coming from.

502Minute114-113-Destroyed.jpg

Other infantry continue to enter the town. I now have an entire Company in the buildings at one end of town.

503Minute114-113-ComingIntoTown.jpg

The 81mm mortars rain down near the other entrance to town. Which is good because the only remaining Shrek team is out of amo up there on the ridge.

504Minute114-113-MortarRounds.jpg

The Churchill tank in the orchard has inflicted its damage – that squad that was caught there has been eliminated.

505Minute114-113-TryingToEscape.jpg

At the farm some of my men are surprised by something. They have no idea what or where the shot even came from.

506Minute114-113-SurpriseAtFarm.jpg

I am going to try again with the Shrek team and that Churchill tank. At the back of this picture you can see a different version of their move between cover, hoping to spot the tank orders.

507Minute113Orders-TryAgain.jpg

With the last of 5 Company making it to the woods the mortar teams pack up and head for the woods too.

508Minute113Orders-ExtractMortarTeams.jpg

As you can see the Shrek team did not get LOF on the tank again. So new orders this time they come straight out of cover past the corner of the building and then back to behind the building. The orders screen shot was not the best.

Spoiler alert - the failed again. Damn! The next orders have a different variation - third time will hopefully be the charm.

This was a pretty quiet turn. My AT team failed to get a shot at the Churchill tank – again.

The infantry advance in the town is pretty much stopped cold because of that tank. It has a commanding light of sight down one back alley that cuts my guys off from getting deeper into the town. This AT team is covering that alley – if they move past that building they run right into the sights of that tank. If it tries to come into town they are waiting.

509Minute113-112-ATTeamInABackAlley.jpg

Meanwhile more infantry enter the town.

510Minute113-112-MoreInfantryEnteringTown.jpg

The mortar teams of 5 Company pulling back.

511Minute113-112-MortarTeamsPullingBack.jpg

This AT team was almost in the right place near the farm. Trouble is they are looking right when the action is on their left. That tank drove out of sight by the end of the turn.

512Minute113-112-FarmClose.jpg

The final orchard withdrawal. The crew of the abandoned Stug is making their way back. With luck they will make it and get out of there before the Churchill tank in the orchard gets over there.

513Minute112Orders-PullBackFinalTouches.jpg

The Panthers from the farm are forming up to move to town. There is an Achilles that is currently preventing them from travelling that road so they either have to go after it themselves or the artillery calls need to do the job. I will wait and see if the artillery chases the TD away before committing the Panthers to attacking it. These guys are not in the best shape. One is fully operational, one is without a main gun and the third has severely damaged tracks so is moving really slowly.

514Minute112Orders-PositioningPanthers.jpg

Ok third time trying to deal with that Churchill tank. This time the AT team is coming further out and then heading back into cover. I hope this time it works.

515Minute112Orders-TryTankHuntingAgain.jpg

Note to @Erwin. I forgot to give them a face command at their way point. As soon as I read your post I thought - oh man I forgot. Since I had played the turn before your post - I got a bit behind in posting - but now I am caught up.

Note about the visibility. Those trees are not really blocking things too much. When I play the next turn I will take a shot of their view when they are on the move.

Thanks Ian. What a terrific read. I've thoroughly enjoyed visiting this thread over the past few days and will now check out DT's view of the battle while your comments and screenshots are fresh in my mind. I'm looking forward to your future updates. Best of luck. :)

Note to @Erwin. I forgot to give them a face command at their way point. As soon as I read your post I thought - oh man I forgot. Since I had played the turn before your post - I got a bit behind in posting - but now I am caught up.

Note about the visibility. Those trees are not really blocking things too much. When I play the next turn I will take a shot of their view when they are on the move.

May not matter. I have had a few AT teams on the move fire when I thought they wouldn't even have a shot at an enemy. Twice in my battle with Broadsword in La Luzerne.

Good luck