Axis Side - 20 000 point Quick Battle DAR

Good afternoon. I wanted to introduce a DAR for a huge, no epic, "Quick battle". Along with my long time friend and the person that introduced me to this fine game Stephen (aka Dungeon Tiger) we plan to fight and report on our Quick Battle meeting engagement using a force worth 20 000 points each. We have played many scenarios and quick battles over the last year in CMBN and before that with CMAK and CMBB. We wanted to do something a bit different - we wanted to go big - really big. Quick battles are interesting but they only go to 7209 points and we wanted bigger but still to maintain the pick your own units aspect to the fight. We decided to design a method to use the Quick Battle force selection mechanism to allow us to pick forces with any number points we desired. First we did a dry run with 12 000 points. From that we put together the following instructions on how to use the QB force selection screen to pick units for even bigger battles than the QB system will allow. Here are those instructions:

http://www.lesliesoftware.com/forforumposts/2012/Force%20Selection%20Instructions.pdf

Then we needed a map - a really big one. We looked at a few QB maps and found one we liked from the CW module. But then Pete W posted a huge 2km by 2km map in the repository.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=1921

It was bigger and we decided to go with it. I made a few tweaks to the land around the bridges because I erroneously thought it was the maps fault when I had trouble getting tanks to drive across during testing. Even though we established that the map was fine we went with the tweaked version just because we used it during testing.

So welcome to what will become the German side of the DAR. After a hello post from Stephen he will not read this thread again until we are done. He will start a thread for the British side of the DAR later today. This is a meeting engagement where each side has a force worth 20 000 points with no additional restrictions. We have no rarity restrictions and no force selection restrictions. Pre-planned artillery is allowed but only after a 10min delay.

Let the fun begin.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to following this aar. Sounds like fun, though it could be a nightmare trying to keep track of everything that's going on.

I can't imagine how long it would take me to do a turn in a battle this size. As it is, I can take hours sometimes when planning a turn on "just" a large battle.

So what you are doing is using the QB purchasing menu as a price list to work out how many units of a certain type and status you can buy for, say 5000 points, then making a note of the hard and soft factors of the purchased units, and then repeating the process until you have an OOB that's worth 20000 points, which can then be built in the scenario editor to be added to a map of your choice...........good idea :)

So what you are doing is using the QB purchasing menu as a price list to work out how many units of a certain type and status you can buy for, say 5000 points, then making a note of the hard and soft factors of the purchased units, and then repeating the process until you have an OOB that's worth 20000 points, which can then be built in the scenario editor to be added to a map of your choice...........good idea :)

Actually you do not have to only purchase small amounts at a time. When you go over budget it still gives you the total points. So just purchase away and watch the total go up over the budget allowed by the QB system. It's OK because you have your own budget. You could treat rarity the same way we just chose to have no restrictions for our battle.

You gents wanna expound on the computer hardware being used for both sides? High end rigs,

Mine is not a high end rig (but I do have an updated graphics card):

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 (64 bit)

HP model a6500f

AMD Phenom 9150e Quad-Core Processor 1.8GHz

4 Gb RAM

with and upgraded video card: Radeon HD 6770 with 1Gb memory

Stephen's machine is more powerful than mine so we have arranged things so that his machine is performing the turn calculations. So far each turn has taken my machine 8 minutes to open. I am still getting between 13 and 19 frames per second with model and texture settings of Better.

or just biting off one small section of the battle at a time?

No, we are fighting the whole battle all at once. When I play a large battle I think of it as several smaller ones. I will try to highlight that as I describe my turns.

Actually you do not have to only purchase small amounts at a time. When you go over budget it still gives you the total points. So just purchase away and watch the total go up over the budget allowed by the QB system. It's OK because you have your own budget. You could treat rarity the same way we just chose to have no restrictions for our battle.

D'oh !!!.......not being a QB player i had forgotten about that :)

Screenshots, please!!

Oh there will be plenty. Sorry for the delay - we have played three turns so far and I have content ready to post but my partner is a bit behind and wants to post an into here before we start with the content. I did not realize he has to work today so I got a little ahead of him oops.

Afternoon on the 10th of July brings bad news. My battalion of Grenadiers is being pressed into action early. We have only been in theater for five days and were supposed to complete two weeks of training and refit before being deployed. The trip to France was long and we took a couple of days off before beginning training with Kuntz's Sturmgeschutz assault gun brigade. I have just received word that the British have broken though our lines and are heading this way. We are the only fighting force close enough to interdict. Given the rate of their advance I have the few hours before night fall to plan while my men get ready. Overnight we will have to get organized and be in our jump off positions by dawn. In addition to Kuntz's Sturmgeschutz assault gun brigade we have an additional mechanized infantry company plus the remains of a Panther company – six tanks in all. My 120mm battalion heavy mortars are just being unloaded from the train so thankfully I can have them by morning. Plus two batteries of 150mm and an FO have also been assigned to us.

My primary goal is to ensure we seize several crossing points along the river I also have a secondary goal of taking the high ground around a nearby town. Along with Osterhaus the FO we have given one of the 150mm guns a pre planned missions using previously registered locations - the high ground north of the main town. The two 120mm mortar batteries also have two pre-planned missions – on to the furthest village and another along the road leading to it. 1 and 2 company along with 2 battery are going to cross the river and head towards the town and the high ground to its south. 3 company will proceed to the nearest village while 5 company (the mechanized infantry and 1 battery will move along side them towards the rail crossing. 3 battery crossed the river in the night and will be a reserve as well as protect our flank.

My initial orders look like this:

001Setup.jpg

Not much to report. No contact with the enemy as yet.

002Minute200-159MovingOut.jpg

A short video showing 1 Battery and 5 Company movnig out from their jump off point.

http://youtu.be/PtFs_r562gE

Minute 1:59 Orders:

No changes to the orders I just added to the 3 Company convoy heading to the road crossing and to the large 1 and 2 Company plus 2 Battery convoy going over the bridge. Here is what the orders look like from on high.

003Minute159Orders.jpg

I'm predicting some major traffic jams! Looks pretty crazy and definitely lot's of work to do with this one!

Traffic jams have not been too bad. 5 Company has halftracks parked in a field waiting their turn and 1 and 2 company are experiencing delays going over the bridge. I am getting better at managing traffic.

One of the three AT guns I have attached to the battalion has been tucked into the trees on the far left flank. It has a view of the hills across the valley. Here are the half tracks of 5 Company passing the AT gun as the setup.

004Minute159-158AdvancingPastATGun.jpg

The 250/9 Recon half track reaches the tree line ahead of 5 Company.

005Minute159-158Recon.jpg

Minute 1:58 Orders:

Clearing the convoy of 1 and 2 Company plus 2 Battery across the bridge is going slowly. There is way more vehicles in this group than the others and they have to all corss a single bridge. Lots of convoy managment issues here. 2 Company has not even started yet since I keep having to put more and more pauses on the trucks and assault guns already on the road. By the time I get to the jumping off point for 2 Company the vehicles on the road are at 45s and 1 min. Pushing the start of 2 Company further behind schedule.

007Minute158Orders1Co2Co.jpg

The other groups are moving out fine.

006Minute158Orders3Co.jpg

Traffic jams have not been too bad.

Ah memory, I just posted the next installment and contradicted myself. Plus I watched the latest turn and my convoy issues around the bridge are getting worse. But other convoys are progressing well. 3 Battery is text book - I shot video of how well it is going. 3 Company is moving very well and the last truck left the jump of point at minute 156. 5 Company is also going well but you might not think so when you see the pictures. One of the HTs spotted a Churchill and so I mass moved them out of their jump off field so they look a little disorganized at the moment.

I recorded two videos of me managing convoys. The mess at the bridge and 5 Company. I have to do some editing. Hopefully I will have them ready when I get to that point in the battle.