Hot Mustard battle 'unplayable@

Just tried playing the Hot Mustard battle. It is unplayable, even with all the FX turned(trees off/shadows off/fastest) down and nothing else running on my pc it is constantly stalling.

Anyone else having similar problems?

Windows 7 64bit service pack 1

AMD Phenon II x4 processor 3.20gh

Ram 8gig

GFX card Geforce 9800GT 1024gddr

Hot Mustard is probably ... no .... definitely the biggest scenario in CMFI. It's about as big as the biggest Commonwealth scenarios as well (Colossal Crack etc) but with lots of trees for all the orchards so the terrain is probably more complex. You might try something a little smaller first to see if you can run the smaller stuff any smoother - then perhaps you can identify where your performance 'break point' probably is. Once you've nailed that down you might post something so Phil can read it. Perhaps he may be able to help once your performance issues can be narrowed down a bit.

I'm running an iMac with 12gigs of ram.

It takes a long time to load the scenario and then it tends to hang up/fereeze when I scroll across the map. I turned off shadows and changed the graphic settings to Faster, but it still tends to freeze for as long as 30 seconds and then allows me to srcoll again.

I am running an Older iMac with only 4 gigs of Ram

and just gave Hot Mustard a test run

I was able to get it to start, it was slow but playable

(at least in the first turn)

Try launching CMFI after a re-boot

and make sure you have nothing else running at all

I'm running an iMac with 12gigs of ram.

It takes a long time to load the scenario and then it tends to hang up/fereeze when I scroll across the map. I turned off shadows and changed the graphic settings to Faster, but it still tends to freeze for as long as 30 seconds and then allows me to srcoll again.

Please post the rest of your details. Video card make, model and VRAM amount would be useful.

Are you running the Mac or PC version?

I just tried it on a low-clocked i5 with an Intel integrated card. I'm getting playable frame rates (~20 FPS) on "Balanced / Balanced". My guess is this is a VRAM issue - textures take up a ton of space, and swapping them / copying them around takes time. Very large scenarios need to load heaps of textures for the various units, and your video cards are trying to keep up.

We'll look into it further, but that's my initial assessment. Try lowering your texture quality in Options and give it another run.

Funny this is the first senario I played as a tester for CMFI and my new monster system I built for DCS Flight Sims. I'm packing a OCed i5, 16gigs of ram, SSD, and a GTX 690 and I still get the odd pauses and hicups when scrolling. It's very playable with everything maxed out, but the studers when scrolling around get annoying. Not a game breaker at all, but with this system i'd expect to chew up anything CM can throw at it.

I was playing RT Sergei

That could be the explanation. It's a fairly large map that is complex for LOS calculations because of all the trees, and in real time the computer has to do all those calculations all the time for all the units, which is a major burden. When I opened it in Wego and ran a few turns I didn't notice any hitches but then in Wego the game stops to do all the gameplay calculations for the turn so it can concentrate fully on displaying the results.

• 4 years later...
On 8/2/2012 at 11:40 PM, para said:

Just tried playing the Hot Mustard battle. It is unplayable, even with all the FX turned(trees off/shadows off/fastest) down and nothing else running on my pc it is constantly stalling.

Anyone else having similar problems?

Windows 7 64bit service pack 1

AMD Phenon II x4 processor 3.20gh

Ram 8gig

GFX card Geforce 9800GT 1024gddr

I just played this WEGO 4.0 and near the end of the scenario it was taking 5 minutes to process each turn. I had a look in the scenario editor and can see it's not just that it has a lot of troops on the map but the Allied troops are continuously retreating while the Axis continue to get reinforcements so as the scenario progresses the processing power required snowballs. Turning down graphics options isn't going to help, this is a coding issue as well as a need for multiprocessor and GPU game processing support.