No ? spotting icons in Basic Training???

Is that right? A friend of mine who is just starting out with CM2 (he gave up the last time over frustration with spotting) has agreed to try again. He surprised me by sending me a turn and we stared playing but there are no ? spotting icons. It all just feels odd and wrong. I am defending so at first I did not notice. I got solid contacts on his guys and opened up. He complained that his guys were getting killed without knowing where from. I was surprised! I figured he should have sound contacts at least. Now I am seeing movement of his guys but when the leave my LOS there is no ? contact icon. By now there should be lots and lots of ? icons. Confused, I fired up a game against the AI using Basic Training. Sure enough no ? icons - ever. Is this to be expected? The manual only says that all enemy units that are spotted are spotted by everyone.

BTW I would never have selected Basic Training skill level (the test thing about CM2 is no "borg" spotting after all).

I don't know about Basic training, but is it possible to play PBEM in Scenario author test mode? Since it has no fog of war at all it might be worth trying. Good to get to know how the game works while actually seeing what's going on. I'm not sure what else it affects other than FoW.

...(the test thing about CM2 is no "borg" spotting after all).

I meant to say "the *best* thing about..."

I don't know about Basic training, but is it possible to play PBEM in Scenario author test mode? Since it has no fog of war at all it might be worth trying. Good to get to know how the game works while actually seeing what's going on. I'm not sure what else it affects other than FoW.

No, Scenario test skill level is not available for PBEM. I verified what I am seeing using a single player against the AI. I never see ? contact icons. Is this a bug?

It could be that you are playing what is intended to be an AI only scenario for your side and you (should be it) may have been given full intelligence at scenario start. This could explain why your opponent can see next to nothing and why you can see everything.

Overall though I see nothing wrong in the side being fired upon not knowing from where the fire is coming , for a time anyway.

Overall though I see nothing wrong in the side being fired upon not knowing from where the fire is coming , for a time anyway.

Oh I totally agree and that's what I told my opponent at first. It was not until solid contacts disappeared and were replaced by nothing at all that I became suspicious. I have tested this from both sides and on basic training skill level there are not ? contact icons.