What you Germans are fighting for!

Just so the other side don't feel left out, I've uploaded another famous song for CMBB theme-tune usage at CMMODS. Made famous to the rest of the world by the film "The Battle of the Bulge", this is Panzerlied, possibly the most famous WW2 German song (and, apparently, Rommel's favourite song). My version for CMBB is not from the film but is almost identical in style and quality (in fact maybe better, because in the film the song is interrupted when the commander talks to his sergreant/assistant).

You can see the film clip here:

And listen to various free mp3 versions (but not mine) here: http://ingeb.org/Lieder/obssturm.html

• 1 month later...

Streety,

Well done! Many moons ago, I really really wanted that song and tried tracking it down. I had some really excellent movie soundtracks on tape (yes, tape) and I wanted this one. Turned out (we're talking decades ago here) it was available only on a special edition record for a whopping $60 or so. Needless to say, I didn't bite. Loved this song and the scene in a rather sucko movie (see Telly Savalas in decapitated tank and the German attack in summer, inter alia) and much later, chased it down online and printed out the lyrics. Thematically, this song has nothing like the scope of Sacred War, but I just love the way it sounds in the movie, mit boot clomp accompaniment, and the translated lyrics do give a real flavor of armored warfare, albeit a ragingly optimistic one which became less and less true as the war ground on. Frankly, there was a time when I thought the song was invented just for the movie. There are also songs for the Panzer Grenadiers and other units, too.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys! Sorry, I'm not very good at following forums and only just spotted your responses.

John - I'm glad you liked the track - I wish I knew exactly where it came from before ending up on my late father's computer - its so good and so close to the film that I guessed it came from either a soundtrack album (or an unpublished demo). Maybe dad had the album you speak of at some point - he got rid of them all when he went digital in his last years.

Erwin - I'm sure I've seen one or two of the pics in that slide show before - you could google. Or if you're desperate, increase the quality of the video, then pause it for a pic and do a "print screen", then open MSPaint and paste (CTRL + V). Then cut and paste the pic - I just tried it and it does work. From other google searches though, I can tell you that WW2 photos are often too small or poor to use as a splash screen....

...Erwin - I'm sure I've seen

one or two of the pics in that slide show before - you could google. Or if you're desperate, increase the quality of the video, then pause it for a pic and do a "print screen", then open MSPaint and paste (CTRL + V). Then cut and paste the pic - I just tried it and it does work. From other google searches though, I can tell you that WW2 photos are often too small or poor to use as a splash screen....

Yep not to many Window users know about the "screen capture" feature. :)

Hi again. Sorry guys. On forums we have people of all ages and abilities (and levels of English etc) but a lot of gamers are very savvy and sometimes can get pissy with me if my advice is something they know already. So I try to aim for one notch above basic (Windows) computer familiarity, but below any modding/manipulation knowledge. But I don't always get it right and don't mean to prejudge people by what level of advice I try to give (and don't pretend to be an expert). Anyways...

If you have Windows you should have MSPaint in your programs (and most other systems have some similar very basic image editing/paint program). In Windows its found from the start menu by clicking on programs, then accessories and then is listed as simply "Paint". On your keyboard, you should have a button (probably just to the right of the F12 button, or somewhere near the Home button) called "Prt Scrn" (Print Screen). Sometimes this button is doubled up with another function, so you may have to press CTRL and Prt Scrn to get it to work. Doing so will take a snap shot of whatever is on your screen at that moment. You then open MSPaint, and either press the CTRL and V keys together, or select the "Edit" function from the options at the top of the Paint window, and then select "Paste". And hey presto, your screen image should appear as a bitmap in your Paint window. You can save it as a bitmap, jpeg or other image type.

But say you just wanted part of that image, there are several ways to do this, so I'll just provide one: You can click on the "select" button in the toolbox, then, holding the left mouse-button down, drag your cursor from one corner to the diagonally opposite corner of the portion you want. Now go up to the edit button and select "copy". Now go back to your main Windows Start button and open ANOTHER MSPaint program (you can run many at the same time - for modding I always do). Now in the new MSPaint program, select Edit again, and Paste - and your cropped image selection should appear as a new image for you to save (or do further manipulations with). Once you are happy with your cropped image, you can close the original MSPaint program without saving, (or save that screen print image if you wish). Now save your cropped image. The default save format is a bitmap (good for modding) but for photos you'll probably want a jpeg - so in MSPaint click on the "File" option, then select "Save As" and you'll be given (under "Save as Type") various formats to choose from, and asked where you want to save it to (the default is the "My Pictures" folder but you can click "Browse" for another destination). Hope that helps, but look up "MS Paint" on the internet (or use Windows Help) for fuller tutorials.

"MSPaint" or "MS Paint" (MS = Microsoft) is what everyone else calls it - Microsoft themselves just call it "Paint", and that's how it's listed in Windows XP (and Vista too, I think). But "Paint.NET" may be what Windows7 calls (or has instead of) "Paint".

"Paint.NET" is a jazzed-up version of "Paint" (maybe Windows7 doesn't have the old simple "Paint" program, which had lasted since Windows 95 and earlier). The basic functions/operations described above should be the same (except with more fancy options added), but as I don't have Windows7 I can't be sure.