Option to turn the timer off in campaigns pls

I do agree with most of what you say Womble.

However some people such as my friend just want to enjoy the game and the narrative without believing in an artificial timer. They do not play to win but for the experience. They may not be the brightest or the most skillfull, but I am not an elitist either.. they enjoy the fine detail of a game like this. But do not want the stress. We have an "easy" level so why not add a timer tick box?

I totally get that and it isn't about bright etc. Once you buy the game, it is yours to play however you want. Whether BF considers trying to implement something that stops the timer and allows the game to continue is up to them. If there was enough demand they'd probably consider it. Not sure how they would implement it as the AI is directly tied to the timer, but that is a programming thing of which I know zip. I still think it will end up being an unsatisfactory experience simply because you have now effectively dumbed down the AI. It no longer has any orders so you are playing against a static situation or worse.

For a lot of people WEGO is something that should be for Strategic layers. It is too slow and too abstract. I agree is is good for those who like to control every detail. But pausing can just as easily do this in a pinch. But even then the pressure of a timer is still too much for some.

Noooooooooooooo WeGo is absoultely the best part of CM. Okay in my poor humble opinion anyway. I can't stand real time and if you are really into the narrative of the game, the only way to appreciate the million and one things that are going on in most battles is review. It also breaks you from being able to minutely control everything every second. You basically have 60 seconds to live with the conesquences of your decisions. For me, a high point of the game.

Noooooooooooooo WeGo is absoultely the best part of CM. Okay in my poor humble opinion anyway. I can't stand real time and if you are really into the narrative of the game, the only way to appreciate the million and one things that are going on in most battles is review. It also breaks you from being able to minutely control everything every second. You basically have 60 seconds to live with the conesquences of your decisions. For me, a high point of the game.

Well put, sburke!

I can't imagine the chaos that would ensue if a player were to take 3 hours or more to play some of the campaign missions I've devised as all those reinforcements that should never arrive will dutifully turn up at some point after the 3 hour mark. This has to be kept in mind as well guys. The content on the disk is designed to be played primarily single play against the AI. The majority of BFC's customers don't play PBEM/Online games. So you would break some of the content very badly by disabling the timer.

Zigackly !

... The majority of BFC's customers don't play PBEM/Online games.

I've seen this claim many times on this board and I'm not sure how anyone knows this is true. The other frequently made customer based claim, that most customers don't post here, is at least comprehensible in it's extraction from available data (data available only to BF). But, pray tell, how does BF, or anyone else, know that my buddy, who doesn't post here, plays pbem and only rarely plays sp? The mp aspect of CM doesn't use a master server which could provide data from which to draw this conclusion, so, is there another way for them to know? Are they getting information from the warrantlessly wiretapping NSA?

But, pray tell, how does BF, or anyone else, know that my buddy, who doesn't post here, plays pbem and only rarely plays sp? The mp aspect of CM doesn't use a master server which could provide data from which to draw this conclusion, so, is there another way for them to know? Are they getting information from the warrantlessly wiretapping NSA?

You'll be getting a visit from a couple suits today to warn you against making any unwarranted suggestions about possible surveillance of your gaming habits. One of the suits will just be a brain in a jar. You will be warned against mentioning that.

I can't imagine the chaos that would ensue if a player were to take 3 hours or more to play some of the campaign missions I've devised as all those reinforcements that should never arrive will dutifully turn up at some point after the 3 hour mark. This has to be kept in mind as well guys. The content on the disk is designed to be played primarily single play against the AI. The majority of BFC's customers don't play PBEM/Online games. So you would break some of the content very badly by disabling the timer.

Feline of Vellum speaks truth!

The timer is there because time isn't an abstract concept in a battle, game or real life. JonS made an excellent post about this a few pages back (if you lose all your tanks, should you get more tanks so you can win? Then why should you get more time if you run out of time?). We feel it is critical to include this element in the game and for that element to be controlled by the person making the particular scenario (be it Campaign or Battle).

Now, could we include a feature which allows the player to ignore the game ending? Yes. Have we had much call for it? Not really, no. Pretty much everything has been requested at least a few times so on the scale of things I rank this one really low in terms of priority.

The practical problem with allow someone to continue playing against the AI longer than the scenario's length is that the AI Scripts aren't set up for that. So the game gets exponentially easier as you extend beyond the time limit. It would not be a very fulfilling experience for most players most of the time. And in Campaigns it would pretty much ruin the scoring system. Which is why we don't have it in the game now.

Might we put it in some other time? Dunno, but it certainly isn't a no-brainer to add.

Steve

Thank you Steve.

Fair enough. I can understand if their is no demand.

As for breaking the AI, well friend will be a little dissappointed as he just wants to play the game on "baby rattle" level. He is not going to curse the game or AI for being to easy if he selects no timer.

But yeah no worries...

well friend will be a little disappointed as he just wants to play the game on "baby rattle" level.

Yes, that's a reasonable request, and there have been any number of "baby rattle" suggestions in this thread which I encourage you to pass on to your friend.

The one thing he can't do, though, is turn the timer off in the campaigns.*

Jon

* Can't, unless he decompiles the campaign, edits each scen, then recompiles the campaign. So, actually, he can do that too. But BFC isn't going to do it for him.

What your friend really needs isn't an option to turn the timer off. What he needs is true selectable difficulty levels. What we have now (skill levels) don't really alter the difficulty very much, they just make certain aspects of the game more or less complicated.