Sign in to follow this  
Javolenus

random speeding up & other performance issues--please help

Hi There and many thanks for a great game. That said, I've been struggling with some (graphics) performance issues that are really spoiling the game for me:

1. Main problem is that the game keeps speeding up and then slowing down. The effect of this is noticeable when watching units move--they suddenly zoom along their movement path and then slow down to a walk. The problem repeats so often as to make play impossible.

2. Sometimes units slide into position as if on invisible roller skates. In this situation, a unit is about to complete its movement but instead of arriving at its destination in the normal manner, it zooms along for the last bit, as if sliding along the ground.

3. When I split a team it snaps back together again a second or so later, which means I can't actually split teams.

4. The environment textures (e.g. foliage etc.) behave erratically, constantly changing and dropping in & out.

5. Unit icons are not always visible when the camera is zoomed out--only at a certain zoom point are all icons visible--change the zoom and some will disappear.

OK, details--I'm playing the game with the Commonwealth expansion. I also recently upgraded by NVIDIA driver. As for my system specs, they are as follows:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+

RAM: 3.0GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz

MOTHERBOARD: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4N72-E (AM2)

GRAPHICS: 512MB GeForce 9600 GT (XFX Pine Group)

HARD DRIVE: 156GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD161GJ (IDE)

OPTICAL DRIVE: Optiarc DVD RW AD-5200A

SOUND CARD: UA-25EX

DIRECT X: DX Version 10.0

When I first installed the game it seemed to run fine; these problems have become noticeable since installing other games from Steam that automatically install or "upgrade" things like DirectX and C++ Redistributable (or whatever it's called). I'm not very pc-savvy, so apologies for any vagueness or lack of info.

The game is really impressive and I'd love to play it without any graphics hitches--please help!

I posted this a week ago and, on the same day, submitted a "ticket" to the Battlefront "Support" desk--a week later and I've had response at all. Last game I buy from you guys. So long!

1. Main problem is that the game keeps speeding up and then slowing down. The effect of this is noticeable when watching units move--they suddenly zoom along their movement path and then slow down to a walk. The problem repeats so often as to make play impossible.

No idea. Never heard of that problem.

2. Sometimes units slide into position as if on invisible roller skates. In this situation, a unit is about to complete its movement but instead of arriving at its destination in the normal manner, it zooms along for the last bit, as if sliding along the ground.

Not a bug. I don't know the technical reason for it but everyone sees that.

3. When I split a team it snaps back together again a second or so later, which means I can't actually split teams.

If 2 teams from the same squad are left in the same action spot for a certain number of seconds they will automatically recombine. That's by design. Just move one of the teams right away.

4. The environment textures (e.g. foliage etc.) behave erratically, constantly changing and dropping in & out.

Not sure what you mean by erratically. Changing LOD with distance is normal.

5. Unit icons are not always visible when the camera is zoomed out--only at a certain zoom point are all icons visible--change the zoom and some will disappear.

That would be a bug, but one I've never heard of.

Sorry. I've been trying to formulate a response to what you're seeing and don't quite have answers at this point. I have a computer with somewhat similar specifications (AMD X2 6000+), though the video card is a bit older. The closest I've come to duplicating your issue was that troops would 'jump' a bit further down their path. However I haven't seen the infantry 'slide' into their positions. The 'jumping' (possibly the 'zooming' you're describing) wasn't present later after I rebooted (a cold power cycle) with the same game that I was playing earlier. I can only guess that this MIGHT be a CPU issue, but I'm not sure.

The LOD issue you're seeing is expected behavior (if not 'desirable'). LODs can be exchanged quite frequently as you move along a map. This is to manage the texture memory and allow things to be as speedy as possible. Unfortunately there is little user control over this feature. Some LODs just disappear altogether when they are far enough away from the camera. In other words some items (buildings, trees, etc.) will disappear completely when the camera is far enough away from them.

In Nvidia cp set power management mode to Max performance then limit fps to 45 (use msi afterburner), this works for me. The problem is both nvidia and the game are both trying to optimize performance which is why you are getting the up and down behavior - too many cooks spoil the broth.

Sign in to follow this