Disappearing Vehicle Casualties

So, any plans on adjusting the disappearing vehicle casualties in the future upgrades? I don't expect 2.0 to have it or even 3.0 but is it on the horizon? Any ideas on how it might be approached?

Mord.

Do you mean dead crewmen ?

I'm not fussed about them disappearing, but it would be nice if there was a delay in getting, say, a dead gunner out of his position before the gun can be laid and fired again.

As it stands, there seems to be no shock effect or delay from a penetration and/or crew casualties.

I mean like when you have a half track with passengers, or a guy in a jeep, and he is hit the dude just vanishes into thin air. Guys in bunkers do this as well.

I agree with the shock effect. I brought this up in CMSF a few years back and they said there is a shock effect but I've never seen it. Seems most of the times crew can bail pretty quick after a tank is taken out as well.

Mord.

I agree with the shock effect. I brought this up in CMSF a few years back and they said there is a shock effect but I've never seen it. Seems most of the times crew can bail pretty quick after a tank is taken out as well.

I often see tanks panic if they lose crew. And I reckon I'd be pretty quick out of a tank when it's KOed, if I wasn't already a human torch/pate.

I often see tanks panic if they lose crew.

Panic is good...but is it the same as shock? Panic denotes flipping out and doing something rash. Shock is more like they freeze up and can't react. But I guess they could roll them into the same thing state and just have different reactions.

And I reckon I'd be pretty quick out of a tank when it's KOed, if I wasn't already a human torch/pate.

I agree, I'd be the same way. But it's not about how quick you'd get out it's about how quick you'd be ABLE to get out. It's been a while since I've had a full game, so I'll pay better attention and see how they react now.

Mord.

Panic is good...but is it the same as shock? Panic denotes flipping out and doing something rash. Shock is more like they freeze up and can't react. But I guess they could roll them into the same thing state and just have different reactions.

I agree that sometimes when, for example, the driver gets whacked, and the vehicle instantly reverses out of line of fire, it can be too fast. You do see times though when the thing just sits there, neither returning fire nor getting out of Dodge. When I said panic, I wasn't meaning in the morale status "Panic", more when they get Shaken, or even just back out of the way while remaining OK or Cautious.

I agree, I'd be the same way. But it's not about how quick you'd get out it's about how quick you'd be ABLE to get out. It's been a while since I've had a full game, so I'll pay better attention and see how they react now.

I think the escape hatches were designed and drills trained for exiting the vehicle in a rush. Maybe I'm just being optimistic. Loader should be last out, of course, especially if Commander and Gunner are recently dead, but I don't think the evacuation model takes potential obstructions/slippery conditions underfoot into account.

I see a LOT of potential problems with this desired simulation. I understand the real life issues a dead/wounded crewmember could present, but we don't have player tools to simulate a lot of the actions that could or should be taken in a vehicle with casualties.

Ken

Personally I think a delay of a few seconds would be perfectly adequate, a la CMx1's "Shocked".

( just because CMx1 had it, doesn't mean it's bad :P )

I had an enemy Sherman take 4 penetrations recently and not only did it not die, but it actually shot faster than my tank over the time of 5 shots. Now, I don't know if they actually took a casualty from those 4 hits ( even more amazing if they didn't ), but you'd think it would (should ?) adversely affect them a bit.

This sounds like one of those 'Be careful what you wish for' things. Some people would be mighty upset to find their Sherman/Tiger/Stuart just sitting on open ground for five minutes while the crew picks pieces of the driver out of the seat cushion before driving it off.

This sounds like one of those 'Be careful what you wish for' things. Some people would be mighty upset to find their Sherman/Tiger/Stuart just sitting on open ground for five minutes while the crew picks pieces of the driver out of the seat cushion before driving it off.

Not me, because it would be more realistic and make the tanks less uber.

Some people might think that with all the levels of realism with the infantry modelling and calculation of shot that having instantly vapourising crew that allow tanks to operate without interruption is perhaps bizarre!

I have got a description of extracting a dead TC from a tank - just a few men and a rope ...! However I would not claim the tank was undriveable but operating the gun would be severely hampered if not stopped. Of course sometimes tipping the TC out the turret if he were draped over the cupola migh be feasible - I am not sure whether tankers did turf them out immediately or withdrew to cover to sort themselves out.

LOL yeah can you have it only happen to my opponents? :D

Actually I am in the camp of it having a more serious impact. Defining what "more serious" means and finding that illusory happy middle ground is the tricky part.

:rolleyes:

Only if the convention of having no user feedback is maintained.

Driver- (Messy) Casualty

Gunner- Peeing pants

Loader- Fetal Position

Radio Operator- Wiping guts off face.

Commander- Bailing Out

OR

*Shocked*