Sign in to follow this  
Sardaukar

CMBN:CW not starting anymore

Hi,

I have not played CMBN for some time and it and CW module used to work just fine with my crappy laptop..decent enough to play. I reinstalled basic game and CW, still no go.

Now I just get Battlefront first screen and Windows error popup "CM Normandy.exe has stopped working."

Any ideas? It used to work just fine.

DxDiag info:

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 7/10/2012, 19:31:22

Machine name: SONY

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Sony Corporation

System Model: VPCEH1J1E

BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 03.60.51R0180Z9

Processor: IntelĀ® PentiumĀ® CPU B940 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 4044MB RAM

Page File: 1759MB used, 6326MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

Full 64 bit DxDiag attached.

DxDiag.zip

Intel integrated graphics typically give us errors with CMBN (on the PC/Windows side). Some people manage to get it working, but graphically it leaves a lot to be desired (corrupted/smeared text, etc.). Here's our Knowledgebase article on CMBN and Intel integrated video. Generally we just don't recommend running CMBN with the Intel integrated graphics. Your 'crappy laptop' may have had an ATI/AMD Radeon or something else that may have worked a little better than the Intel HD graphics on your current laptop.

You can try newer Intel video drivers (8.15.10.2622 - older than your Sony provided ones), however with laptops you often have to use the drivers provided by the laptop manufacturer (Sony in this case) rather than the latest offered by Intel (which may give you an error upon installing that the 'adapter isn't compatible').

Intel integrated graphics typically give us errors with CMBN (on the PC/Windows side). Some people manage to get it working, but graphically it leaves a lot to be desired (corrupted/smeared text, etc.). Here's our Knowledgebase article on CMBN and Intel integrated video. Generally we just don't recommend running CMBN with the Intel integrated graphics. Your 'crappy laptop' may have had an ATI/AMD Radeon or something else that may have worked a little better than the Intel HD graphics on your current laptop.

You can try newer Intel video drivers (8.15.10.2622 - older than your Sony provided ones), however with laptops you often have to use the drivers provided by the laptop manufacturer (Sony in this case) rather than the latest offered by Intel (which may give you an error upon installing that the 'adapter isn't compatible').

Brilliant advice, Schrullenhaft!

Works like it used to be. I don't mind smeared text, as long as I can play.

Thanks a lot!

If I may add my $0.02 worth---I am using an ASUS Zenbook with an Intel HD 3000.

I have tested both CM: BN and CM: Italy. The latest Win 7 drivers dated 5/24/2012 from the Intel and ASUS sites did not work. The driver from the Intel site link above (Version: 15.22.54.64.2622, 01/21/2012) works fine.

In short, until Intel do a fix, you may need to use an older driver.

Just wondering if there has been any change in this situation.

I have a Lenovo x220 with the Intel HD 3000 chip.

I tried to load the above noted driver, but my machine aparently only accepts Lenovo specific drivers, and I can't seem to find any but the latest (OCT 2012) which will not work with the demo.

Very disappointing indeed.

The issue is really more of Intel needing to do a better job with their OpenGL drivers. There's little-to-nothing that we can do to make CM run better with Intel integrated video.

Unfortunately with some notebook vendors, when you're stuck with only the drivers that they offer then there seems to be no solution at this point. I'm not sure if Lenovo will ever update your video driver and if they do, it may be one that doesn't quite work very well with CM.

For what it is worth, I have had the same problem after upgrading from the .2662 to .2867 drivers. And still now after upgrading to .2932, from 12/18/2012. But the .2867 driver fixed many other issues and I am loathe to go back to the older driver. So I guess no more CMBN for me.

While I can appreciate that there is (obviously) an issue with the Intel drivers (as they used to work for the most part), there must still be some CMBN component to the problem too as I can play everything else I've thrown at my PC.

'Most everything else' is probably DirectX and NOT OpenGL. Most of the video chipset developers do a bit of a better job with DirectX support than OpenGL, unfortunately.

However we can only support one graphics API and OpenGL is what works on the Mac and PC. Supporting two APIs is WAY TOO MUCH work and causes all sorts of issues unless you have a lot of programmers to support such dual-tracked graphics code and we don't.

For what it is worth, I have had the same problem after upgrading from the .2662 to .2867 drivers.

The game played again after I changed the shared graphics memory in BIOS from a fixed setting (I think it was 1M) to "Automatic". Who would have thought?

voidhawk

Interestingly, game plays now (yea, I still play it with same crappy laptop with Intel HD 3000 graphics). I changed shortcut properties to "Run: Minimized". This allows game to load and play just fine (apart from mushy text in some parts, not effecting gameplay that much).

I have latest (Nov 2013) graphics drivers plus CW & Market Garden modules. This might help people with similar problem.

Sign in to follow this