Allied AAR: Clearing the Niscemi Highway

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that it seems like your defensive scheme has worked well so far: seems Bil's Italians got too fixated on clearing your outpost line and made themselves a juicy target for your guns.

But what's the purpose of your "counterattack" at this point? Just to kill more Italians? I haven't read Bil's side yet, but those guys seem like a spent force already; their casualties have likely made their morale brittle as all hell and some mortar fire will keep them that way.

And do you really want to retake that exposed ground now, especially now that Huns with better ranged firepower are showing up?

Just food for thought.....

I agree that it seems like your defensive scheme has worked well so far: seems Bil's Italians got too fixated on clearing your outpost line and made themselves a juicy target for your guns.

But what's the purpose of your "counterattack" at this point? Just to kill more Italians? I haven't read Bil's side yet, but those guys seem like a spent force already; their casualties have likely made their morale brittle as all hell and some mortar fire will keep them that way.

And do you really want to retake that exposed ground now, especially now that Huns with better ranged firepower are showing up?

Just food for thought.....

It's often good to make the enemy bleed twice for ground; even if the pTruppen don't notice, the player might... :) If the defensive position was good the first time round, why not retake it if it can be done with minimal casualties/expenditure of materiel? It all depends whether the new Amis can retake the ground before the new Jerries can pick up where the Eyties left off. If there aren't any good places for all these new bodies to hide on and around the main objective, with fire lanes that interdict the approaches, the forward position looks attractive.

Heh... demo team scores another success!

Not knowing anything more about this battle than you guys, I'd say the reason to counter attack is to keep the enemy off balance. Especially if there are enemy reinforcements in play. Double especially if they are quality reinforcements.

That said, I'd do a cautious counter attack. First sign of significant resistance I'd either stand my ground or even pull back a bit. Overextension is so easy to do, so hard to fix!

Steve

Let's not forget the *purpose* of this battle is not to win or lose but to show off the pretty new game. :D A prudent commander might hide his reinforcements behind the building complex and wait for 20 turns. But you won't get any 'action shots' out of it.

Heh... demo team scores another success!...

I had a TH team use a demo charge like a grenade on advancing infantry, just recently... Wasn't expecting that; but had been speculating about trying to time a Blast command to catch the opposition as they snuggled up to a piece of Bocage.

Bah! Your PURPOSE "commander" is to COMMAND, not to idle away the time. Troops are there to ATTACK. The best defense is an ATTACK! The best attack is a BIGGER attack! The key to victory is willpower. By shoving new troops on the attack over the bodies of their dead comrades you will display to the enemy commander how your willpower cannot be broken. Victory will be yours if you ATTACK.

:)

Ken

Bah! Your PURPOSE "commander" is to COMMAND, not to idle away the time. Troops are there to ATTACK. The best defense is an ATTACK! The best attack is a BIGGER attack! The key to victory is willpower. By shoving new troops on the attack over the bodies of their dead comrades you will display to the enemy commander how your willpower cannot be broken. Victory will be yours if you ATTACK.

:)

Ken

Want a game ? Bags I defend ;)

I'm seeing a pattern here. You recently gave the same basic advice to some poor lad to send his two Shermans into the fray head on against a Panther. Trying to encourage us to be reckless in the hopes that you can take advantage of us on the battle field? Very Machiavellian. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-_and_left-hand_traffic#Italy

Rome, for example, did not change from left to right until 20 October 1924. Milan was the last Italian city to change to driving on the right (3 August 1926). Cars had remained right-hand drive (RHD) until this time. Italian car makers Alfa Romeo and Lancia did not produce LHD cars until as late as 1950 and 1953, respectively.

Battlefront did their research well

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=VnTCea9atisC&pg=PA129&lpg=PA129&dq=right+hand+drive+italy+ww2&source=bl&ots=yF0dbyfA8v&sig=Kss5mIum8bxU9T-EorNQiqxfN9Y&hl=en&sa=X&ei=pe39T7jKO4em0AWq6uj1Dw&ved=0CHUQ6AEwCTgU#v=onepage&q=right%20hand%20drive%20italy%20ww2&f=false

I didn't know that:

Spain drives on the right but the capital city, Madrid, had left-hand traffic in force until 10 April 1924.[116] As a result the Madrid Metro, which dates from 1919,[117] still runs on the left-hand side on all lines.

Thanks for answer Wicky ! Now, I know a little more about my country! :-)

Three reasons:

1. The defenses at the Villa are already approaching saturation, and packing more men in there will just make them juicy targets for artillery. I've also got another platoon of infantry as future reinforcements, so they can be my reserve.

2. The slope on my side is rather steep, creating some dead ground that my infantry can move freely in. In five seconds they can transition from raking the attacking force to being safe from attack. If needed they can fall back to the series of orchards and stone walls behind them. Bil can of course try to flank them like the two Renaults did, but I've now got a Sherman overwatching that area and there is also the pack howitzer. Anyone trying to move down there to deal with them is going to get some 75mm delight, along with the infantry platoon, AND the rest of the hill's defenses.

3. With the dead zone from the hill's southern face I can move my platoon around to parry wherever Bil sends his reinforcements. Better to fight them away from the objective than let him march organized and concentrated straight up to it, no?

tacticsc.jpg

View of the dead ground, look at the orchard up and ahead.

deadground.jpg

Yeah, worked really well for the Japs, didn't it?

:D

Michael