AAR-AXIS - Clearing the Niscemi Highway

Poor italian soldiers.. Poor logistics, bad equipments (with some exceptions), horrible commander.. but they were not always cannon fodder.. see for example the sacrifice of Ariete Tank Division, the feat of Folgore paratroopers division or the all-out defence of caposaldo Ruspoli in North Africa.

Could it be possible to maintain, on tactical views, a similar direction? That is looking toward the enemy lines with eventually an arrow sighted on a know landmark (Villa Castalletti). That way we won’t make a wrong interpretation of the shot.

That is relevant for other AAR.

This is not possible in most cases. What I will try to do is include an overview map every few turns to help keep you oriented on what is going on where.

Bil

Even if doctrine kept all squad control under the squad leader it makes no sense to not allow squad splitting. For example, to cover both sides of a road as the Italians I would need 20 men. While in reality I'm sure that half of a squad wouldn't be petrified to have their SL 10-15 meters away.

It is even more absurd in the Syrian case because you have an attached RPG in the squad, and god forbid he goes to the second floor of a building to engage targets while the rest of the squad takes cover on the first.

A much better and more realistic approach would be to give the me not with the SL a morale penalty. It would still allow the player to intelligently split their forces but the morale penalty would penalize them for giving elements not with the SL too much to do.

Even if doctrine kept all squad control under the squad leader it makes no sense to not allow squad splitting. For example, to cover both sides of a road as the Italians I would need 20 men.

And shooting at Italian squads in buildings will be like shooting fish packed tightly in a barrel... at least to start with.

The Third Minute

My armor continues to leap frog forward on my right.. notice how exposed the TCs are in this image.. I have yet to be taught the lesson I think you all can see coming.

7491008830_bfd3171644_b.jpg

On my left my infantry has uncovered another enemy team. My plan is to pin it with one platoon while advancing against it with another. My support (mortars and HMG teams) are indicated by the green circles, they will provide fire support as necessary and advance behind the infantry, close enough to support but not close enough to get decisively engaged.

My plan is to advance as quickly as possible, never letting up the pressure with my infantry. I do not want to let his forward detachment escape.

7491008664_50c298e7b2_b.jpg

The Fourth Minute

The situation is starting to become clear... on the Hill objective I am starting to see some entrenchments as the US infantry there start to snipe at my infantry on the hill. The range is too far for either of us to cause any harm, but if he unloads with an MG that could quickly change.

7491173260_2a557544da_b.jpg

Normal Dude's forward element seems very far forward to me... I am at certain points very close to his units which are starting to present themselves (four enemy units are shown in this image). I do still have a Platoon off the screen to the right in this image ready to close the door behind them.

7491173764_fbbd0843bd_b.jpg

Now I understand how vulnerable the R-35 TC is, as it takes a casualty from an enemy team in the woodline. The problem now is that this tank is useless... and the others if I keep buttoned, which I most likely will do, can't spot to save their lives... which will matter, believe me.

7491174264_f697a32c6d_z.jpg

The Fifth Minute

I had some frustration this turn. Despite my superior numbers and my superior firepower it looks like he was able to withdraw his entire forward line without loss.

7497622410_0a7e8c2ebe_b.jpg

Here they are entering their new position.

7497622520_05b8f37be1_b.jpg

Wasn't enough to keep them out of range of my canister though.. ever wonder what it must have been like to be on the receiving end of canister, well here you go.

7497622342_dca632e41a_b.jpg

And here is the view from my side. Next turn I am pushing hard forward and will try to bag them.

7497622564_376cdd8cae_b.jpg

The Sixth Minute

I continue to push... Abnormal Dude does not move his forward line off their present position and it costs him. From what I can see there are several U.S. casualties from my tightening sack and his forward line looks like it might be pinned in place.

Next turn if they don't pull back further I will be pushing even closer. I will say this, these Americans have great firepower even for a small formation like this as I am taking as many casualties as I am giving. That is worrisome.

7498136444_4e0c190de5_b.jpg

Grapes are planted closer together, and are strung along lines - giving a continuous row. If the bushes are based on anything real life, I would think them fruit or nut trees (Almonds, apricots or peaches would fit the climate, though it might be a bit dry for the last one).

Well, if that turn did anything it deflated the notion that Italians are condemned to be 'pushovers' in small scale combat like this. Yes, in the grand scheme of things they may not have a hope in hell of holding out, but taken one platoon at a time they still need to be overcome. :)

Grapes are planted closer together, and are strung along lines - giving a continuous row. If the bushes are based on anything real life, I would think them fruit or nut trees (Almonds, apricots or peaches would fit the climate, though it might be a bit dry for the last one).

You're right, of course, but if the map designer wasn't aware of real world vinicultural practices... Nut bushes would be a good match too.