AAR-AXIS - Clearing the Niscemi Highway

[

One of my Grilles starts to pummel the Villa top floor... the HMG team stationed there disappeared from view as my rounds begin to hit. From the size of the explosions I would say that there had to have been some casualties.

If you had eyes on the team, you should see crosses if you killed any.

Great AAR Bill, and great icons, i have just installed the ones for CMBN, but as you said earlier, you have made no CW ones, are you planning to do so ?, some nice brown ones :)

Patience noob, they are coming... they will not be color coded though. I have a technique for doing that but it is less than satisfactory IMO. The Shared icons really kill the ability to truly color code the floating icons.

Bil

Patience noob, they are coming... they will not be color coded though. I have a technique for doing that but it is less than satisfactory IMO. The Shared icons really kill the ability to truly color code the floating icons.

Bil

No problem Bill, i am an artist, and i love the aesthetics of military symbols, so adding your icons to the game has added immensely to the visual beauty of CM, as well as their obvious practical value, it's a shame that they can't be colour coded, that would of been one massive cherry on an otherwise gorgeous cake.

You know, I like my job, I really do. I design 3D interactive training for the US and Canadian militaries and I love going on site and crawling around whatever piece of equipment is the subject of the training, from USCG ship engines, to M1A2 tanks... how exciting is that for vet and a military fan like myself eh?

..but this morning at work I get an email from Normal Dude, basically saying file is up and how much he hates the Grilles... ;) heheh.. but of course I must wait until I get home from work this evening before I can view it. :(

I HATE WORK.

Just had to say that.

(Seriously, hope your condition improves, sir).

It's chronic so it won't, it's smoking related: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COPD

The good thing is, i found out early, and quit smoking, so i have reduced the speed it deteriorates the lungs.

So i'm not facing an early grave, just a slightly exhausting one, and given the fact that i sat on my arse as much before my diagnosis as after, it's hardly impacted my life, in fact, if you are going to contract a smoking related disease, i highly recommend it, if served early of course :)

The Thirtieth Minute

Now the situation is clearer.. ND has posted a Sherman on the backside of the Villa and the other on top of the plateau the Villa sits on. This one sits too far back to be visible by my Pz-IVs.

Both seem to be oriented towards my right, mainly at my Italians. I moved a squad up last turn to keep him interested.. and one of the Shermans fires a couple rounds at it.

7854689598_4dbbfef043_b.jpg

My Grille gets another lick in before I pulled it back. I do not want to keep these precious vehicles in one place too long. But there is precious little cover so I am afraid they might use the same cover over and over again.. but at least if I pull them out of the line from time to time ND's units won't be able to get a good spot on them.. hopefully.

7854689508_f8f6ba1f7b_b.jpg

I am still waiting for my 105 to start falling.. they have been spotting for several turns now... I cannot make my push until these rounds are falling on the Villa.

Of course now disaster strikes... my FO team gets caught in the mortar barrage on the little copse of trees where my HMGs are also located. They take the one casualty I cannot afford.. the observer lies dead. That means of course that I now have no control over where my 105 rounds will fall. I can only hope they will still fall on the Villa.. if they do not then I have doubts that my plan will be successful.

This is my first German casualty.

7854689698_e105b29823_b.jpg

Unless I miss my guess, those 105s won't be coming. In all likelihood, you just got bitten by the now-infamous FO bug, wherein you now will have essentially no control over any battery the FO was controlling for the rest of the game. In CMBN the battery would go into an endless spotting round cycle, effectively removing it from play. I haven't heard or seen anything to indicate that this has changed in CMFI, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Of course now disaster strikes... my FO team gets caught in the mortar barrage on the little copse of trees where my HMGs are also located. They take the one casualty I cannot afford.. the observer lies dead. That means of course that I now have no control over where my 105 rounds will fall. I can only hope they will still fall on the Villa.. if they do not then I have doubts that my plan will be successful.

This is my first German casualty.

7854689698_e105b29823_b.jpg

Man I know that pain. Damn that sucks.

Bil Hardenberger,

Apparently, you're firing HE-T! Most impressive.

A very nasty first casualty, that. Doesn't an FO team have someone else who can take over, or is that you can have the radio operator shot and still carry on from wherever you are (if the radio remains functional), but this is the casualty you simply can't afford?

Regards,

John Kettler

A very nasty first casualty, that. Doesn't an FO team have someone else who can take over, or is that you can have the radio operator shot and still carry on from wherever you are (if the radio remains functional), but this is the casualty you simply can't afford?

It's a bug or game limitation or something in between. If the FO is killed whilst calling in a strike, that off-board battery is forever "Denied" to the rest of the army for the rest of the battle.

The strike he was calling in may cancel, continue falling (randomly/somewhere) or fire spotting rounds forever - it probably depends on where in the cycle you are when it happens.

One of those things we hope are being looked at/improved.

Unless I miss my guess, those 105s won't be coming. In all likelihood, you just got bitten by the now-infamous FO bug, wherein you now will have essentially no control over any battery the FO was controlling for the rest of the game. In CMBN the battery would go into an endless spotting round cycle, effectively removing it from play. I haven't heard or seen anything to indicate that this has changed in CMFI, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I just confirmed that no other capable unit can give orders to that battery, I can't cancel, adjust, or otherwise effect it.

So at this point I have to rethink my entire assault plan... perhaps I use the Grilles to suppress the Villa while I advance... that would be fine i'm sure against the infantry holed up in the buildings.. but the Shermans are an altogether different matter. From what I can see he has good visibility into the KT4 gully, while I cannot get a LOS onto the piece of ground that Sherman is located on. I would have to really expose my AT assets in order to successfully engage it.

This requires more thought, because right now I am not willing to maneuver on the objectives as long as that Sherman is untouchable and dominating the avenues of approach.

For now, I have to accept that the 105 fire mission will not happen.. if it does I just have to take that as a bonus, but I think Bimmer is right in his assessment.

This is a particularly frustrating scenario... as a great philosopher once said: when you're hot you're hot, when you're not you're not.

Bil

One thing, I have noticed with CFMI is that the FO teams are very quickly targeted by mortars, artillery or whatever the enemy can throw at them. If they only show the tip of their nose while lying among thick bushes, it does not make a difference.

It is really a cat and mice game. The FO seems to have drawn the mouse straw!

I don’t recall that it happened so frequently and quickly with CBMN.

BTW Bil, smoking the Amis at the villa summit while closing the distance through KT4 might save your day after the 105mm FO casualty.

Hard cheese there, Bil. With the 105s I would have given you a much better than even chance at this point. Without them it is a much iffier proposition. All depends on how much you can hurt the Shermans before they hurt you. If you can neutralize them without losing any of your armor in the process, you're back on a roll. But every piece you lose lowers your odds a notch. But I'm sure you've figured all this out already.

Michael

One thing, I have noticed with CFMI is that the FO teams are very quickly targeted by mortars, artillery or whatever the enemy can throw at them. If they only show the tip of their nose while lying among thick bushes, it does not make a difference.

It is really a cat and mice game. The FO seems to have drawn the mouse straw!

I don’t recall that it happened so frequently and quickly with CBMN.

The only time I ever lost an FO to enemy fire in BN was one time I neglected to give them a short CA and one of the assistants opened fire and gave their position away. I haven't played enough FI to notice anything one way or the other.

Michael