AAR-AXIS - Clearing the Niscemi Highway

Bil, do you Grilles have the ammo carriers are are they on their lonesome? How do you intend to deploy them, doctrinally the 150mm infantry gun, as you know, was mainly an indirect weapon. Can you use these SPG's in that way, or will you be forced to fire direct?

If direct fire I guess the building will be the first target, moving up your SPG's during the artillery barrage, with PZ IV overwatch perhaps? Or are they too vulnerable an asset for such a task?

I guess some Ju-87's or Fw190's are out of the question, you could do with some SC 1000's and SD-2's.

Bil, do you Grilles have the ammo carriers are are they on their lonesome? How do you intend to deploy them, doctrinally the 150mm infantry gun, as you know, was mainly an indirect weapon. Can you use these SPG's in that way, or will you be forced to fire direct?

If direct fire I guess the building will be the first target, moving up your SPG's during the artillery barrage, with PZ IV overwatch perhaps? Or are they too vulnerable an asset for such a task?

I guess some Ju-87's or Fw190's are out of the question, you could do with some SC 1000's and SD-2's.

I will only say that I need to be very careful with them.. and I'd rather use them direct fire if I can do that in relative safety.

...doctrinally the 150mm infantry gun, as you know, was mainly an indirect weapon...

And praise be to BFC for allowing us to expose these precious assets to the risk of direct fire... There's a good argument for excluding lots of the HE chuckers we routinely use to suppress strongpoints from on-map use.

Can you use these SPG's in that way, or will you be forced to fire direct?

It would be cool if they appeared in the artillery call selection menu. IME, though, it can be difficult to use them to fire indirect, since their elevation restrictions mean they have to shoot the "low track" and there's usually something in the way.

I guess some Ju-87's or Fw190's are out of the question...

Allied air superiority in the timeframe was almost total. German air support should be very rare indeed.

The Guastatori are, to the best of my knowledge, some sort of elite assault engineers and they seem to have the best equipment. A platoon comes with an LMG team, a mortar and a generous sprinkling of SMGs. The MAB38 is the Beretta 9mm SMG, apparently the finest single piece in the Italian inventory. It's rare but when it goes blakablakablatblat you better duck!

And, oh sweet, a wild Grille appears! That 150mm is beastly.

(I'm trying to find information on the Guastatori but everything is in Italian and Google Translate leaves behind a garbled mess. But it seems they were pretty hardcore.)

The Guastatori are, to the best of my knowledge, some sort of elite assault engineers and they seem to have the best equipment. A platoon comes with an LMG team, a mortar and a generous sprinkling of SMGs. The MAB38 is the Beretta 9mm SMG, apparently the finest single piece in the Italian inventory. It's rare but when it goes blakablakablatblat you better duck!

(I'm trying to find information on the Guastatori but everything is in Italian and Google Translate leaves behind a garbled mess. But it seems they were pretty hardcore.)

I don't know if it has never been published in english but, about this matter, the "must read" book would be "Alamein 1933-1962" by Paolo Caccia Dominioni. He was the commander of the 31° Btg guastatori in North Africa.

Ah, there is also a newsreel here. Hm, almost surely staged. Anyway:

I'm not sure, but I suspect the commander, the guy wearing the alpini cap could be Caccia Dominioni himself.

The Twenty-Sixth Minute

Looks like ND moved his T30 back into position... whats interesting though is that this is the T30 that was on the other side of the Villa.. so I can probably expect to see the other one join this guy soon.

There is a difference this time... I have an MG that can see him and that is placing fire onto this vehicle. Next turn I also plotted some area fire from my Brixia mortar onto the location where this thing is sitting. There are other moving pieces as well, but no guarantee they will be ready to be effective next turn.

7799228964_38a885ec4a_b.jpg

My OP identified a few new players this turn. There are two squads in the trees at the bottom of the slope leading to the Orchard objective. I suspect there is an entire Platoon in these woods.

He also spotted another Sherman as well... so in the trees on that ridge sit the Platoon HQ tank and tank #3.. so he probably has four Shermans in total now. Great.

7799228848_aef2b4f653_b.jpg

ND is definitely un-assing the Hill objective.. I spotted four or five teams running from the Hill to the Villa.. obviously trying to avoid the impending artillery. Heh...

7799228736_9c86fcd103_b.jpg

Oh, and I have been working on a few mods, they are still WIP. I have really missed my icon and gridded terrain mods.

To Bil,

Could you tell me were you got the tactical signs displayed on your shots? I have not found them in the Repository.

BTW I played the scenario and used the gully (K) as I told you earlier. I shall have a spoiler on it once you are through the AAR, since it brings interesting tactical arguments (written in my previous reply) that a designer should take in account within the game time frame. That if he wants to offer a realistic scenario offering a good playability.

Cheer

To Bil,

Could you tell me were you got the tactical signs displayed on your shots? I have not found them in the Repository.

snake_eye, the floating icons are my old CMBN mod that I am in the midst of converting to CMFI, adding new units etc.

The CMBN mod can be found on the Repository, look for the Period based icon set. These are based on WW2 US tactical symbols.

They look like LT SMASH's WW2 icons that he did for CMBN.

Nope they are mine! ALL MINE!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Bil

To Bil,

Here is where the CMBN set is located: http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=1142

I never did a CW set (that I released anyway)... and the CMFI set should be ready in a week or so.

Bil

I love your American tactical icons and will await them so that I can replace the ingame icons.For some reason, the ingame icons really detract from the game for me.

Hopefully your set will be broken into a separate allied and axis set. I like to replace the axis icons with the actual period German icons for the axis and yours for the allies.

I do not think I have seen a set of CW icons though. Are they any different from the American icons?

Looks great Bil. Seems that the icons are lighter in color compared to game ones. CMFI has a Scout Team icon now. I suppose that was not in the army symbols? So would they just show up as infantry?

Gerry

Scout team? Yes it too is represented.. the Recon symbol in my key is I believe what you are asking about.. it is represented by the small diamond topped with the infantry arrow.