AAR-AXIS - Clearing the Niscemi Highway

Or.. a primer on how not to use Italian forces.

A good battle plan that you act on today can be better than a perfect one tomorrow.

Patton

Okay so we have been playing this game for a bit, so in order for me to write this AAR I need to go back to the older files, so sorting the files by Oldest First I can quickly find the files I need:

7425682260_f17f1c6c59_b.jpg

Looking at the briefing screen... there are three objectives, the Orchards, the Hill, and the Villa. On the map I have a Platoon of R-35s and a Company of Italian Infantry, plus an HMG Platoon with 3 HMG teams, and a Mortar Section with 3 60mm mortars but short on ammunition.

7425682388_a1bc5406e5_b.jpg

Here is an overview of the very open terrain I have to maneuver over. The trick is going to be finding covered routes to help my advance so I am not moving through open terrain. If he has guns, MGs and artillery an advance by leg infantry through open terrain could be ugly.

7425878208_cba2030534_b.jpg

My R-35 Platoon I am sending to my right, to provide some fire support for my infantry assault on the first objective. Also I want to reconnoiter the treeline at the bottom of the hill, there is a gully down there and a small crossing location that would be nice to own so I could eventually conduct a flanking attack against the villa.

7425878014_8553781bdd_b.jpg

My first objective is to clear the Orchards objective. It looks like this position could provide a nice position from which to fire down into the Hill and Villa objectives. I'm certain this objective is defended, so I hope to bring a 2 or three prong attack onto it and clear it without taking too many casualties.

Here is my initial infantry plan of attack on the Orchard:

7425878150_d508d9bf6a_b.jpg

This is my first battle with these troops so I will be learning as I go.. hope I don't lose the entire force in the first few minutes. I get reinforcements in 15 and 25 minutes, I don't expect the real battle to start until they are all on the board. I just hope to attrit Normal Dude's forces enough by then to make my job easier.

Bil

Wot? Still no scroll bars?

Here's the thing: a page system takes about half an hour to implement. A scroll bar system can take a good few days and still leave people annoyed that <typical scroll bar function> isn't implemented. It is rarely worth the headache unless it is going to be a large part of a UI. It certainly isn't worth giving up a few days worth of in-game features for purely for loading files IMHO.

[i haven't read Bil's first post so I'm not cheating!]

The Italian soldier uniforms are still a work in progress, hence no screenshots of them. You'll see them soon enough. :)

The CMFI Pizza Guy Icon was Charles's idea of a joke while the real art was being made. ;)

It is rarely worth the headache unless it is going to be a large part of a UI. It certainly isn't worth giving up a few days worth of in-game features for purely for loading files IMHO.

And of course, if it's never written, it'll never be a large part of the UI. There's a reason it's a standard in pretty much every modern UI: it's a useful function that you can use in lots of places once you've written it. And I believe you're exaggerating the difficulty. IMHO.