Upgrades Q&A

If my current opponents don't want to be on the same upgrade path as me, the max upgrade/max content path, I will find opponents who are and make new friends.

I am not against making new friends but there is no need to abandon us slow pokes either. Just keep a copy of the un-upgraded game around while you want to play with your old friends.

:)

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really suck at this game (though I do love it). The friends that I play against are all evenly matched. You can check out our CMBB/CMAK battles from years past here

https://sites.google.com/site/cmbbcmak/home

(click on our names to see some short AARs)

I though would probably need to act as IT for one of them to play so I am a little worried about the upgrades/modules/packs etc but I still think it is worth it in the long run.

Haven´t been able to read all pages in this thread yet, but I am struggling to understand why BF as decided to make us pay for patches for old versions following release of new ones?

From what I read I may be the only one that think this is a pity? :confused: . Is there any indication of the price range for those patches? Are we talking a token 3-4 USD kind of thing? or more like a half game price at the 20-40 USD range? None of the above?

They aren't charging for patches. They already said they'll keep patching the games for free, like they always have, until they consider the development ended.

They are talking about charging for upgrades. Upgrades will basically be culled from the new titles as they come out. Say a year from now, Combat Mission East Front arrives and the title has hit decals, Online Wego, and Triggers for scenarios. Well they are talking about being able to cut those three things (and anything else that is new to the series) from the title and making an upgrade package that can be plugged into older titles like CMBN.

Then, CMBN and CMFI will be as up to date as the newest title. They won't be left in the dust like CMBO was compared to CMBB and CMAK. All the games will have the same features and remain current. And we won't have to wait another ten years for them to return to CMBN (or what have you) to add in all the new stuff. And if they don't have to turn around and remake CMBN and everything else, that could leave room for other wars to be explored.

It's the best news we could have ever gotten as far as CM is concerned.

Mord.

Haven´t been able to read all pages in this thread yet, but I am struggling to understand why BF as decided to make us pay for patches for old versions following release of new ones?

They aren't charging for patches. But they will charge for upgrades. The difference is patches are collections of bug fixes. Upgrades add new content and/or features. It's important to keep this distinction in mind.

Michael

Re price is this comment an indication about these new upgrades/patches? or is it about something else I am taking out of context?

:)

Yes, when people actually sit down and do the math the numbers look really good. Which is why we didn't think twice about the few people that complained about having to purchase a $5 patch for a game they had been playing every week or so for 6 or 7 years. Unreasonable customers do not have the best interests of anybody but themselves in mind. If you guys want us to be around in another 10 years you must take an interest in us making enough money to keep doing what we do. It's a simple equation that (thankfully!!!) very few people fail to comprehend.

The key thing here is we not be hypocritical. We don't like unreasonable customers, you guys shouldn't like unreasonable game developers. Which is why we worked very hard to produce a system which allows you guys to leverage existing investments way, way beyond what other games can offer.

There no question about it that not only does this save you guys a LOT of money over time, but it continually enhances your gameplay over that period at a very low cost. On top of that, under the old system you would have to wait years to have all the updated content released again, while under this new system you never have to wait twice for the same stuff.

On our side we get freed up to make other stuff, we get some revenue from the Upgrade itself to put towards the next game, and avoids the "race to the bottom" price discounting for prior releases whenever a new one comes out.

Works out very well for everybody.

Steve

viajero, yes, I think you took it out of context. Steve appears to be talking about the gaming community in general, paying for "patches". Regardless, Steve has clarified this in other threads, and the key in Steve's comment is this:

"On our side we get freed up to make other stuff, we get some revenue from the Upgrade itself to put towards the next game, and avoids the "race to the bottom" price discounting for prior releases whenever a new one comes out."

Correct. He was talking about a few people complaining about having to pay 5 bucks for the Vista patch which was created specially so they could play on an operating system that wasn't even thought of when CMBO came out.

Mord.

If any of you think that the old method is somehow better, either conceptually or financially, than the new system we're offering... you're insane. Note I am not putting a smiley there because I'm serious.

Now, if you are someone who recognizes that the new way is a ton better than what we had before, but you don't want to pay a fair price for the work we're doing to make it possible... you're unreasonable. From a practical standpoint your objections are just as meaningful as an insane person.

Notwithstanding the validity of Steve´s justification/explanation or lack thereof, it is indeed an interesting market that where the sellers can allow themselves to call their own clients "insane". Cant wait to know more about those Upgrade fair prices!

I'd love to have more markets where you could call your clients insane. Because IME clients/customers are insane. And the best customers you can get are those who you can actually call insane and they say 'oh, yes, you are right'.

Sounds like a fairy tale but sometimes it happens.

All this false politeness is just a waste of time.

When people say in a discussion "you're insane" it is generally meant in a rhetorical fashion, and is not intended to be a statement of diagnosis of mental insanity. I only explain this because "you're insane" could translate to people of different cultures in ways that seem to intend offense.

But reading the posts across this forum I think there's a fair chance that quite a few of us are nutters.

Obsessing over a few dollars for something as non-essential to survival as an upgrade to a piece of entertainment software - oh, sorry, military simulation - will only lead to misery. There are more meaningful things to worry about in life.

it is indeed an interesting market that where the sellers can allow themselves to call their own clients "insane". Cant wait to know more about those Upgrade fair prices!

LOL he didn't call me insane...he called people that think waiting ten more years for an updated version of CMBN is better than getting it as the engine is updated...insane. And I agree. I waited long enough after CMBO to get back to France, there's no way I'd want to wait another ten to get all the new features that are coming. THAT would be insane!

Mord.

I'd love to have more markets where you could call your clients insane. Because IME clients/customers are insane. And the best customers you can get are those who you can actually call insane and they say 'oh, yes, you are right'.

Sounds like a fairy tale but sometimes it happens.

Lol. Cant think at all of a place where that may happen almost every other post! Can you?

But reading the posts across this forum I think there's a fair chance that quite a few of us are nutters.

I have a list...

Obsessing over a few dollars for something as non-essential to survival as an upgrade to a piece of entertainment software - oh, sorry, military simulation - will only lead to misery. There are more meaningful things to worry about in life.

By Jove, I think he's got it!

:D

Michael

LMAO! A top ranking.

Just don't let it go to your heard.

I've been told I am number two, many a time...

I wouldn't doubt that for a second. BTW, what was the name of that last girlfriend who dumped you? I was thinking of sending her a bouquet of roses. By way of congratulation, you understand.

Michael

Just don't let it go to your heard.

Things have rarely ever gone to my heard...I am not even sure where I'd find that on my anatomy.

I wouldn't doubt that for a second. BTW, what was the name of that last girlfriend who dumped you?

Number three...she was of mixed descent.

I was thinking of sending her a bouquet of roses. By way of congratulation, you understand.

Michael

Make it Poison Ivy and I'll foot the postage.

Mord.