Upgrades Q&A

Since the beginning of the Combat Mission, more than a dozen years ago, customers have asked for the ability to keep their favorite games up-to-date with improvements made for newer games. After years of careful planning we are happy to announce that Upgrades are soon to be a standard option for Combat Mission customers.

In regular intervals, we will release a totally new standalone game which includes a host of major and minor improvements that go way beyond bug fixes and tweaks to existing features. What sorts of features are we talking about? Read up on the new features of Combat Mission: Fortress Italy to see what we're talking about, because all those features are now part of the CMx2 Game Engine Version 2.0 standard.

A few months after the new game releases, owners of previous Combat Mission games can purchase Upgrades to add those features to CM products they already own. The delayed availability is necessary to ensure that our small team has enough time to ensure quality control (especially backwards compatibility) before releasing them.

Each distinct "family" of Combat Mission games only needs one upgrade regardless of how many Modules are already owned. New Modules (not released yet when an upgrade is available) will use features only found in the latest version, so existing customers must Upgrade if they want to use new Modules.

Upgrades are backwards compatible with all battles and campaigns, no matter who authored them or which units/terrain are used within them. Some Mods will work without modification, others may need to be updated to take advantage of game engine changes.

Once an Upgrade is released those features become standard for all new customers. Existing customers can purchase the features as a stand alone Upgrade for the game of their choice. The previous version of each game will continue being sold for some time, at a discounted price (and can of course be upgraded later on if desired).

The new Upgrade concept offers customers, new and old, a variety of new purchase options. Existing customers can buy an Upgrade for a previous CM family they own on its own, or bundled with a new Module at a discounted price. New customers can either purchase the current version game at full price or the previous version at a discount.

As always, we will continue to release free patches to fix technical problems and improve the performance of existing features as needed. Upgrades are not paid patches, but come with major new features that offer new functionality and game play elements.

Unfortunately, we can not offer Upgrades for CMx1 games, CM Shock Force and Afghanistan. Too much has changed with the basic code, artwork, and file formats to make this practical since their releases to make backwards compatibility viable.

So, what does this mean in concrete terms for you right now, playing Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy and enviously gawking at the Combat Mission: Fortress Italy feature list? It means that once CMFI is out sometime in August, we'll work on an Upgrade 2.0 for CMBN. You will be able to buy this upgrade (the price is not yet determined), install it and voila, you will have Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy v2.0!!! The upgrade will automatically work for the base game and the Commonwealth module.

The next module in the CM:BN family (more about this in the coming days) will already be featuring CMx2 v2.0, and will *require* that upgrade.

Questions?

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! What a wonderful achievement in software design and maximization of revenue.

Probably best for developers and customers.

Congratulations to this achievement.

From what i know, CMBN was NOT planned with that development strategy in mind.

I'm wondering what made this incredible achievement possible? Fresh input from the second programmer? But how good is fresh input, if a finished product already exists?

The system requirements are already posted on the preorder page.

In short, no changes. However, if your video card does not support shaders, they will be automatically turned off in the background. Phil can answer the more technical stuff about that when he's around, it seems a number of video drivers are broken these days.

Excellent news! My only concern when looking at the feature list of CMFI (new acronyms, yay!) was how they would never make it into CMBN. This new system will be great, especially with all the new base games on the schedule. Too bad about CMSF and CMA but understandable.

Why are you fantastic is the only question I have :)!

LOL...That was funny. I was thinking nearly the same thing. I am so overwhelmed by everything I just read I actually stopped and wondered if I had died.

This is a DREAM come true! AMAZING...truly amazing.

Mord.

I am interesting in learning more about the graphic's engine upgrades. Specifically, lighting and shadowing rendering and overall performance. These are some areas I thought the CMx2 engine really struggled in. Thanks and congrats on the upcoming releases!

- Pausable RealTime option. A player can request a Pause and, if the other player agrees, the game is Paused until both players request an end to it. Pauses can be "Playable" (Commands can be issued/modified), "Viewable" (navigation is allowed, but no Commands issued/modified), or "Locked" (no navigation, no Commands issued/modified). The different pause types reflect the different reasons for requesting a pause.

Hugely significant for the LAN game my friend and I play in a frequent basis. Excellent news!

Once upgraded I assume you will be able to mix units, maps and terrain from both CMBN and CMFI in quick battles and in creating battles/campaigns?

And (so long as you keep up with the upgrades) will this make CMBN/Bulge/45 content compatible with EF content, so we can run hypothetical East-v-West battles?

- Pausable RealTime option. A player can request a Pause and, if the other player agrees, the game is Paused until both players request an end to it. Pauses can be "Playable" (Commands can be issued/modified), "Viewable" (navigation is allowed, but no Commands issued/modified), or "Locked" (no navigation, no Commands issued/modified). The different pause types reflect the different reasons for requesting a pause.

FANTASTIC! Haven't played a single H2H game in CMBN because I loathe PBEM. For a guy who played TCP/IP constantly with CMx1, making regular gaming friends in the process, this is HUGE!

Thanks BFC.

Once upgraded I assume you will be able to mix units, maps and terrain from both CMBN and CMFI in quick battles and in creating battles/campaigns?

Was wondering this as well. If all the games are running on the same engine version, whats to stop taking the next step and combining them all together? Maybe we will see something like that in a few years. At the very least it would very nice to have some kind of launcher that lets you switch between games without needing to exit back to the desktop. At this rate I will have a dozen icons on my desktop before long.

[related stuff to this quote]

Don't take this as an official response (since it's not, and I'm not really sure I'm right;)), but my guess is that this won't work since they'll be different game families. Maybe you could re-skin units and models from one game to work in a different game, but I doubt you'll be able to actually use TO&E from, say, East Front with CMBN.

If player A purchases the upgrade for CMBN & CF, but player B does not, will they still be able to play by email together? In other words will the save game be compatible between the two versions?

I plan to buy it as I am an avid fan. Some of the guys I have talked into buying the base game and remain lukewarm about it may not.