The Road Ahead

Are there points and conditions associated with doing exits?

See page 76-77 of the Game Engine Manual (page 39 of the PDF document).

EXIT [OBJECTIVE ZONE]: Friendly units may leave the map (permanently) after reaching this objective. Any friendly unit may use the exit zone. There are no points awarded for leaving the map! Instead, any unit that is part of a Destroy/Destroy All Unit Objective for the opposing player and does not leave the map, is scored as “destroyed” and the points are awarded to the enemy.

Exit Zones are a special type of Objective and may be a little hard to grasp at first, since they work differently than the other Objective types. Instead of awarding points directly to troops that successfully exit the map, it is the opposing player that gets points for any units that should exit but don’t.

[Then there's a how-to section that explains the details of setting Exits and associating units with them.]

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there points and conditions associated with doing exits?

The short story is that if you have "destroy" unit-based VP, any units that are included in that "pot" which do not exit are considered destroyed for the purposes of that "pot" of VP. So the scenario designer just has to consider the ramifications of this.

But there are no conditions on when you exit the battlefield. If the exit zone is in your setup area, you could stack all your units on it in the setup turn and they'd be gone in the first minute.

Something interesting happened when I downloaded the latest patch for Normandy...I should of joted down everything that I saw but I was so frustrated that I thought the patch may have ruined all my saved games etc...they I began to fix the problem promplty. My scenario editor was having all kinds of problems...nothing was right It had a list of all kinds of vehicles not all of which were world war 2...in fact most where modern warfare items...I saw Italien LAVs and Leapard tanks Apache long bows (do not know the nationality of those...some soviet equipement etc. I mean there was a whole tone of modern stuff...I wish I would of wrote it all down

Something interesting happened when I downloaded the latest patch for Normandy...I should of joted down everything that I saw but I was so frustrated that I thought the patch may have ruined all my saved games etc...they I began to fix the problem promplty. My scenario editor was having all kinds of problems...nothing was right It had a list of all kinds of vehicles not all of which were world war 2...in fact most where modern warfare items...I saw Italien LAVs and Leapard tanks Apache long bows (do not know the nationality of those...some soviet equipement etc. I mean there was a whole tone of modern stuff...I wish I would of wrote it all down

You probably have Vin's Animated Text mod installed. It is incompatible with the latest patch, but it will probably be updated soon. (CMBN shares a code base with CMSF, so an incompatible mod can actually dredge up some legacy text from the other game.)

Remove the mod, and all will be well. Your saved games are fine; this is just a temporary text-display effect. There are threads about this in the CMBN forum.

Are we going to get less prominent bunkers and such? How about dugouts?

Not the answer you're looking for, but this workaround works pretty well. Sink the bunker square 3m into the earth and it's invisible to same height shooters.

Per my earlier tests, 81mms cannot (AFAIK) destroy bunkers outright, but near misses can cause substantial casualties (4-5 out of 9 max capacity) through the firing aperture to the occupants, who won't HIDE or Cower. Sandbags, walls and other barriers won't sit close enough to the bunker (or vice versa) to mask it.

The solution: stick a destroyed halftrack (or any other AFV) up athwart the vulnerable aperture. Zero casualties in 5 playtests in spite of numerous direct hits (the wreck was set ablaze twice, but there's no cookoff effects -- it just looks neat!). The track takes all the punishment, although the (Veteran/High) bunker occupants max out the Pin meter and suffer morale effects.

So it doesn't look quite so odd, I swapped the M5 Brit halftrack wireframe for a wood bunker. It's still a HT for all game purposes, just looks like a bunker.

FortTest_Track2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Out of curiousity, are you guys thinking about possibly make Combat Missions for Early War; i.e. Invasion of Poland, N. Africa, Invasion of Soviet Union, Blitzkrieg?

I believe Barbarossa is definitely on the table as the last family of East Front games. No official mention of the others you name.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

A question: when CMSF 2 comes out with the 3.0 engine there will be three base games: CMBN, CMFI and CMEF 1. This means three games to upgrade to v3.

Will there be a combined upgrade for all three or do we have have to buy them piece by piece?

I would welcome a subscription model where I get all upgrades for all base games I own as soon as they come out - at a discount of course. :)

I would assume that each title gets only a single upgrade, rather than being upgraded once every three years ad infinitum.

That's not what Steve has suggested. He's said that (starting with CMBN) all products will recieve upgrades to all future game engines. Well, that's what I've gathered from what he's said, at least. What the pricing model for those upgrades might be hasn't been discussed at all, but if they do charge per "family", I guess it'd be up to you to decide whether the new features were worth upgrading to.

The more distinct versions there are, though, the more valuable a "launcher" that lets you select in a simple manner the version of the game that you are wanting to play (across all families) would be.

You know it sucks that Blitzkrieg probably doesn't seem like it'd make that much money. Market wise. Then again they're making games like Strategic Command for WW1, Russian Civil War, etc. That's a niche market as well. I'd love Blitzkrieg, they've never done it, you'd get great army variety, Poles to Belgians, Norwegians, Brits, French, Dutch, etc. After reading An Army at Dawn I'd be pumped for North Africa and I could see that as a logical module for FI, though I think it's more likely module 2 will either cover to Rome, or perhaps further. 3 Will probably be to end of war and odds and ends. That'd be great honestly too.

• 1 month later...
You know it sucks that Blitzkrieg probably doesn't seem like it'd make that much money.

I wouldn't write it off. CMFI wasn't exactly expected either. I have no idea what experience or data folks are working with that makes them think it wouldn't do well - if that is even the case, but like you I would love to see that period.

Im just recalling past statements by Steve on the subject. you.re correct though, FI was completely unexpected. actually I think you and I have even discussed this before, a la how we'd like to see the Pacific but BFC said 'noway' way back when. Or was that LLF I had that convo with? Maybe I just thought of you because I know how often you.re in Asia...