The Road Ahead

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t mind if PT was just speculating what V3 should be, if it comes out one day. His brain storming about what should be most useful to us players and designers in a hypothetical V3 is so close to what is needed to make the game one of the best that could be found in its category that we could almost assert that it is already on the improvements list of BF.

Cheer

1. CM: Battle for Normandy Module 2. This Module picks up where CM:BN and Commonwealth left off... with the September push out of France to the German border. The content centers around Operation Market Garden, though it covers more ground than just that. The game includes a number of new vehicles, formations, and new terrain models/textures. Adding new terrain, a first for any Module so far, ensures that you feel like you're fighting near Germany and not still back at the beacheads.

2. CM: Eastern Front 1. The first of four Eastern Front "families" starts with Operation Bagration (June 1944) and eventually covers through to the end of the war (May 1945). For many tactical warfare enthusiasts, this period is considered the most tactically interesting since both sides were at their peak of their military technology, organization, and experience. The scope and scale of the combat offers plenty of subject matter to explore.

3. CM: Shock Force 2. Our return to modern warfare is long overdue! Given how close Shock Force 1 was at predicting a conventional conflict in Syria, we're a little nervous about choosing a topic this time around. Especially because we've chosen to simulate a full spectrum conventional conflict between NATO and Russia in the Ukraine.

I hate to drag the thread back to the original post but as this was back in June can anyone at Bf give us any more info on the order these may come out? I think the order shown above would be my preference :)

IIRC games are being developed in reverse chronological order since they already have a lot of the late war stuff done (at least for the Germans on the East Front). It will be a little weird since one of the most fun ways to play CM1 was to start with Poland and work your way thru the war. It will be interesting to see if there is a large enuff market for the more obscure early war units and battles.

IIRC games are being developed in reverse chronological order since they already have a lot of the late war stuff done (at least for the Germans on the East Front). It will be a little weird since one of the most fun ways to play CM1 was to start with Poland and work your way thru the war. It will be interesting to see if there is a large enuff market for the more obscure early war units and battles.

It does seem the wrong way round to start the eastern front in 1944, but from the dev point of view it must be a much quicker way of getting the games out to us impatient customers so I can live with it :)

Combat Mission fans have a lot to look forward to in the next year as the CMx2 game engine continues to produce games at an every faster pace. At the moment we have three games in active development and more planned. While we aren't in a position to make detailed announcements right now, we can tell you what the three are about (in no particular order):

1. CM: Battle for Normandy Module 2. This Module picks up where CM:BN and Commonwealth left off... with the September push out of France to the German border. The content centers around Operation Market Garden, though it covers more ground than just that. The game includes a number of new vehicles, formations, and new terrain models/textures. Adding new terrain, a first for any Module so far, ensures that you feel like you're fighting near Germany and not still back at the beacheads.

2. CM: Eastern Front 1. The first of four Eastern Front "families" starts with Operation Bagration (June 1944) and eventually covers through to the end of the war (May 1945). For many tactical warfare enthusiasts, this period is considered the most tactically interesting since both sides were at their peak of their military technology, organization, and experience. The scope and scale of the combat offers plenty of subject matter to explore.

3. CM: Shock Force 2. Our return to modern warfare is long overdue! Given how close Shock Force 1 was at predicting a conventional conflict in Syria, we're a little nervous about choosing a topic this time around. Especially because we've chosen to simulate a full spectrum conventional conflict between NATO and Russia in the Ukraine. This gives players a rich tactical environment to explore with the most advanced militaries the world has ever seen. Having said that, we hope the politicians aren't insane enough to try it for real. Even thought this is great stuff for a game, it's the last thing this world needs in real life.

We have more games planned for 2013, however we are making no formal announcements at this time. These three mini-announcements should be enough to keep you busy for a while.

Now that details of the upgrade path have been released, is there a chance that any of these titles will be v3.0? I am assuming, without complaint, that they will be v2.0. If they are v2.0, I assume that snow (and maybe fire) will arrive with v3.0.

It does seem the wrong way round to start the eastern front in 1944, but from the dev point of view it must be a much quicker way of getting the games out to us impatient customers so I can live with it :)

This may be because we already have all of the German weaponry from the summer of '44 in CMBN. So it would be far less time consuming to produce,Bagration since BFC will not have to start from scratch with both the German and Russian forces.....:)

Now that details of the upgrade path have been released, is there a chance that any of these titles will be v3.0? I am assuming, without complaint, that they will be v2.0. If they are v2.0, I assume that snow (and maybe fire) will arrive with v3.0.

Remembering that I am just speculating here, I would hazard a guess that the next new title, i.e. not module, will sport the v3 engine just as FI sported the new v2 engine. Again, speculating, I would say that will be the East Front title and I very much hope that it will have AI triggers at the very least. I think the Bagration title will start in summer, eventually getting to winter in a much later module thus giving BFC lots of time to get the game environment ready for winter. At which point BFC will be talking about the Bulge title and possibly a winter module for CMFI.

My speculation about v2.0 vs v3.0 is based on this thread's opening post as well as womble's post #196 and Steve's response (post #197) in this thread.

edit: I could have been more clear, with this post BF announced 2 new families and a module to be released within a year; this is in addition to CMFI (another new family), which at the time of this thread's opening post was still over a month away from release. I'm not trying to sell BF short on what they can do, but I don't see them "promising" a new engine version along with all the content mentioned. Steve's response to womble really changed my thinking as I had been thinking the next games would be v3.o. I agree about snow not being necessary until Bulge (all part of their plan, no doubt), which makes that my candidate for v3.0. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure Steve has said tank riding infantry would probably "have to be" included in Eastern Front titles, so who knows, v3.0 with AI triggers and tank riders?

Also just guessing here, but I suspect that moving to v3 will entail more work than could be done on top of everything else that BFC proposes to do in the next year. I expect them to milk v2 for at least one more family, two or more titles, and maybe a half dozen modules. In other words, don't hold your breath.

Michael

My best guess of what the next few months hold:

1) CMBN patch (I look for it every day - hopefully delayed a tiny bit by the HMG thread).

2) CMBN v2.0 upgrade

3) CMBN MG module

If that can be accomplished by January, BF will have a little over 6 months to release the 2 Eastern Front games and still be within their projected release time frame.

Thinking about a possible v3.0 release during this time period brings to mind the title of the most famous movie every made about Operation Market Garden...

So as time slowly ticks away, maybe we're in line for a little update?

How is 'The Road Ahead' coming along? Are there any news? An indication when the new releases will be ready? I guess something must be nearing release if the original deadline is still valid (3 releases till June 2013).

Can we at least get a release order - which of the 3 will be out first - Bagration, Market Garden, or Shock Force 2? I'm hoping for Shock Force 2, I've had enough of WW2...

Nooo you can never have too much of WW2 :)

It would be good to get at least a hint at what will be released first, and if we can expect something before Christmas ???

Well, how many times can one replay the battle of the bulge, or the assault on monte cassino? it just started to seem somehow pointless to me at some point...

of course, YMMV...

a hint regarding release schedule would be very welcome indeed....:D

My best guess of what the next few months hold:

1) CMBN patch (I look for it every day - hopefully delayed a tiny bit by the HMG thread).

2) CMBN v2.0 upgrade

3) CMBN MG module

If that can be accomplished by January, BF will have a little over 6 months to release the 2 Eastern Front games and still be within their projected release time frame.

Thinking about a possible v3.0 release during this time period brings to mind the title of the most famous movie every made about Operation Market Garden...

Two East Front games??????????