The Road Ahead

My understanding is that in times past when we went to a new base game, here CMFI versus CMBN, the older game was not updated and forever languished behind (in CMx1 I assume this would be CMBO versus the newer CMBB).

Now we have an option to buy an upgrade to get the new features ported back to CMBN ($10 or if you wait for MG, then the upgrade will be bundled with MG for $5). It seems that most people thing this is a small price to pay for updated features.

Gerry

So will the base game get all the graphical and engine updates for free without the need of buying all these DLC's?

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So will the base game get all the graphical and engine updates for free without the need of buying all these DLC's?

No. We will never release major game features for free ever again. Those days are over. Minor game improvements, tweaks, rough edges smoothed, etc. will still happen for free as we see fit.

I like the CMFI Demo but, want an expanded US TOE (Armored cars & TD's). What are the planned updates/expansions for CMFI?

There is no announcement yet about the exact content for the first CMFI Module, but it will go into 1944. Which means, without being specific, expanded TO&E.

I hate people like you.

Bringing baggage in from another thread is a no-no. And why is it a no-no? Because people who don't understand the context can do things like the next thing I have to address...

Steve

FU Moron - That's the problem here, you can't even ask a question without the fanboy ****!

And we have to suffer through foulmouthed, knee jerk, clueless posts like this. Honestly, I think I have the much tougher job.

While Vanir should NOT have dragged that comment in from the other thread, your response was not only uncalled for, but also grounds for a time out. So put a couple of socks in it next time you feel the urge to violate the Forum rules.

Pad, you missed the irony of Vanir's response. It was in reference to Jaksteri's exact same epithet to another poster in another thread--on the CMBN forum. It wasn't a Fanboi response. Well, maybe it was both!:)

Regardless of what it was, Vanir should not have brought it into this thread because it doesn't add anything positive to the discussion. Plus, it in and of itself is a violation of the Forum rules (what we call "stalking").

Steve

Now we have an option to buy an upgrade to get the new features ported back to CMBN ($10 or if you wait for MG, then the upgrade will be bundled with MG for $5). It seems that most people thing this is a small price to pay for updated features.

Gerry

Small price? That's an understatement. I still can't believe how awesome this feature is. Ten Bucks!!! When I go to get my hair cut once a month it literally takes my barber 15 minutes to do it and I pay her more than 10 bucks.

Thanks, BF for giving us a great game at a great value.

Yes, the value is tremendous. Well done BF.

I only wish there was a way to pay (say) $150 and get the full family in one shot. I find that I get bored by the limitations of each module quickly and the add-on modules do not necessarily add enuff different/original stuff to really make a huge difference. I thought about continuing to buy the games but not playing until all modules are in place (with all the patches and mods as well). But, I also know it will be bloody tough to have that discipline as one always wants to see the new stuff asap.

Yes, the value is tremendous. Well done BF.

I only wish there was a way to pay (say) $150 and get the full family in one shot. I find that I get bored by the limitations of each module quickly and the add-on modules do not necessarily add enuff different/original stuff to really make a huge difference. I thought about continuing to buy the games but not playing until all modules are in place (with all the patches and mods as well). But, I also know it will be bloody tough to have that discipline as one always wants to see the new stuff asap.

Plus you loose alot of the time you could be playing atleast part of it and learn along with the community

CM2 is starting to be a pretty mature software and I haven't seen any great differences in CMFI.

But yes of course I would miss the intense all-night discussions about exactly how many lugnuts the PzIIIN used in its driveshaft. (Er... For the serious types out there, that was a joke .)

I only wish there was a way to pay (say) $150 and get the full family in one shot. I find that I get bored by the limitations of each module quickly and the add-on modules do not necessarily add enuff different/original stuff to really make a huge difference. I thought about continuing to buy the games but not playing until all modules are in place (with all the patches and mods as well). But, I also know it will be bloody tough to have that discipline as one always wants to see the new stuff asap

Interesting point. I feel a diminishing lack of enthusiasm for old titles that are approaching the end of their development cycle when there is a new title to compete with them. There are no other wargames that really hold a candle to this one but each title faces stiff competition from its succeeding title. At the moment, CMBN's stiffest competition is CMFI. :D Once the v2 package for CMBN comes around, CMBN will no longer be at a disadvantage, at least until the next title comes along which sports the new v3 engine with fire, night-time illumination and AI triggers.

I find that the,

UI changes in game as well as in the main menus,

The FOW icons,

the armored CA,

the graphical improvements (visually and in terms of speed),

and The increase in the # of AI groups as well as the editor improvements;

All of these things do significantly enhance my enjoyment of the game so much so that I wont have a second thought about paying $5-$10 US to add these features to CMBN.

So you don't think the changes made in CMFI have significantly changed the way the game plays?

That is a tough one to evaluate as the theater itself drives a lot of behavioral changes. Lack of good portable AT weapons, more open terrain, different armored vehicle availability etc.

I think once version 2 is released for CMBN you will have a much clearer view of how it impacts game play.

That being said, I won't hesitate at all to buy the upgrade as soon as it is available rather than waiting for some bundled deal when MG is released.

I appreciate that you notice those items Rocky. I haven't noticed the tech improvements on my systems. And re the UI changes I don't find they have significantly altered my gameplay.

For sure, the biggest improvement is the "return" of the ability to prioritize AT vs AP targets. The rest may simply be too subtle for me to notice (as yet).

The biggest improvement to coma with the V3 engine, is certainly the new A.I triggers, besides fire, and night-time illumination being graphically taken in account.

That is going to change the way we had to deal with the A.I in some ambush and or counter attack scenarios.

Does night-time illumination include flares?

@ Michael Emrys

Courtesy of PAPER TIGER in his reply yesterday :

Interesting point. ..../......../...... :D Once the v2 package for CMBN comes around, CMBN will no longer be at a disadvantage, at least until the next title comes along which sports the new v3 engine with fire, night-time illumination and AI triggers.

@Aragorn2002

Paper Tiger is the one writing and maybe knowing more about the night time illuminations

...night-time illumination being graphically taken in account.

I always thought it was, graphically. Vehicle fires and explosions illuminate the darkness, at least as far as it's graphically displayed.

It seems to me illumination needs improving under the hood, too; deep shadows don't have the impact on spotting in daylight that they ought.