The Road Ahead

Combat Mission fans have a lot to look forward to in the next year as the CMx2 game engine continues to produce games at an every faster pace. At the moment we have three games in active development and more planned. While we aren't in a position to make detailed announcements right now, we can tell you what the three are about (in no particular order):

1. CM: Battle for Normandy Module 2. This Module picks up where CM:BN and Commonwealth left off... with the September push out of France to the German border. The content centers around Operation Market Garden, though it covers more ground than just that. The game includes a number of new vehicles, formations, and new terrain models/textures. Adding new terrain, a first for any Module so far, ensures that you feel like you're fighting near Germany and not still back at the beacheads.

2. CM: Eastern Front 1. The first of four Eastern Front "families" starts with Operation Bagration (June 1944) and eventually covers through to the end of the war (May 1945). For many tactical warfare enthusiasts, this period is considered the most tactically interesting since both sides were at their peak of their military technology, organization, and experience. The scope and scale of the combat offers plenty of subject matter to explore.

3. CM: Shock Force 2. Our return to modern warfare is long overdue! Given how close Shock Force 1 was at predicting a conventional conflict in Syria, we're a little nervous about choosing a topic this time around. Especially because we've chosen to simulate a full spectrum conventional conflict between NATO and Russia in the Ukraine. This gives players a rich tactical environment to explore with the most advanced militaries the world has ever seen. Having said that, we hope the politicians aren't insane enough to try it for real. Even thought this is great stuff for a game, it's the last thing this world needs in real life.

We have more games planned for 2013, however we are making no formal announcements at this time. These three mini-announcements should be enough to keep you busy for a while.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES! YEEEES!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!

There's so much info flying, my brain just farted onto my keyboard!!!

Modern Russia!!! East front!!! MG!!! Italy!!!

Update CMx2 engine! MOVEABLE WAYPOINTS and TARGET ARMOR ARC!!!!

Man, I feel like I just came from a wargaming orgy!

You guys are the BEST! WELL, WELL, WELL worth the three months of silence!!!!

Mord.

P.S. I think I used up my stock of exclamation points for the next year!

Only one bug bear..UK customs are going to get us again. BFC why are you not shipping from the Euro warehouse like the CW module?

Oh, that's a bit of a long story. The main problem are the printed manuals and the tin cases, which would have to be shipped from the US to the EU warehouse because it's too expensive to have them produced in the EU AND the US separately. We had a lot of issues with EU customs in the more recent past, with huge inexplicable delays that make any kind of release schedule totally unreliable. Worst case, EU customers may end up having to wait 6 months on their hardgoods, because that's how long the last shipment we attempted got stuck!

So the only viable option is to ship from the US. While this certainly is not as convenient for EU customers as when we ship from Germany, it isn't any different than it's always been for all other international non-EU customer (Canada, Australia/NZ, China... just to name a few of the biggest ones).

Martin

I'm not bothered about customs I will just buy the downloads. Nice to have a box and manual but not worth the possible Customs hit.

Anyway this really has been the best wargaming news day ever! I've mentioned it on Tactical Wargame FB page.

I've been playing APOS with the two DLC thinking the only reason I'd play CMEF more wouldbe WEGO! After hearing about version 2 changes my opinion has chnaged. I'd be playing it for alot more reasons than just that.

Also funny enough, though I've never been into modern warfare but bought CMSF on a whim and loved it I really miss all those modern toys. So I'm looking forward to CMSF 2 just a smuch as CM EF!

3. CM: Shock Force 2. Our return to modern warfare is long overdue! Given how close Shock Force 1 was at predicting a conventional conflict in Syria, we're a little nervous about choosing a topic this time around. Especially because we've chosen to simulate a full spectrum conventional conflict between NATO and Russia in the Ukraine. This gives players a rich tactical environment to explore with the most advanced militaries the world has ever seen.

This is for me the best news of all. I have been waiting for this since back in the CMBB days.

I have yet to own any of the CMX2 modern stuff because it has not allowed the terrain or equipment that would most likely interest me to pit itself against each other. Now the time has finially arrived and I cannot wait for this to be released. Plus with the improvements to the game engine , I expect this to bring many, many hours or enjoyment.

When we moved to the CMx2 engine we said one primary reason was to optimize the backend stuff so we could crank out games quicker. If anybody has been tracking the release dates they will see that we have been progressively shortening development times since the initial CM:SF release. That's the result of us finding bottlenecks and dealing with them effectively.

The last year gives you guys a pretty good look at where we're headed. We released Battle for Normandy, Commonwealth Forces, and Fortress Italy. That's 2 Base Games and 1 Module. In the next year I would expect to see another 3 Base Games and probably 3 Modules.

Steve

When we moved to the CMx2 engine we said one primary reason was to optimize the backend stuff so we could crank out games quicker. If anybody has been tracking the release dates they will see that we have been progressively shortening development times since the initial CM:SF release. That's the result of us finding bottlenecks and dealing with them effectively.

The last year gives you guys a pretty good look at where we're headed. We released Battle for Normandy, Commonwealth Forces, and Fortress Italy. That's 2 Base Games and 1 Module. In the next year I would expect to see another 3 Base Games and probably 3 Modules.

Steve

We had better start saving our pennies as in past years we had little to spend on and now all the buses turn up at same time...

We released Battle for Normandy, Commonwealth Forces, and Fortress Italy.

Darn - I just read the announcement for CM:FI and you have already shipped?

;)

Joke aside: Is CMSF 2 current NATO vs Russians or 80/90ies? And will we get a Mac CMSF 1 or is that now obsolete?

Steve

I'm sobbing like a fricking moron at a sappy movie. Man when you guys decide to shut up the naysayers, you certainly go about it right, like a baseball bat to the choppers. I am sure we will hear from the usual suspects how BFC just inflicted all this financial hardship on their customer base by releasing too much stuff... heh heh heh So the date is the anniversary of Bagration AND you just happen to mention that may be the first East front Game - coincidence?