AAR 1939 - Testing China

Playing one of the beta testers. Hoping that with the new patch, that China is no longer toast. We thought it might be interesting. In our last pre-patch game, China fell quite early.

Turn 1 axis: without motorization my Japanese unable to take Foochow, which usually happened on the first turn. I put a chit into motorization. Poland falls.

Allied response in China very aggressive, almost kill a Japanese Army (2 strength). I must be careful, that would have hurt.

Turn 2 axis: Foochow falls. Germans begin to head west. Japanese put another chit into motorization and 2 in inf. weapons. Gonna do my best to still take out China.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turn 4.

A Chinese army dies (second, I think). Since Carverrt plays aggressivly, I expected and am getting high losses on both sides. It's ok as long as I can keep from losing units. Several of my Japanese have to repair, but I have Chengchow with 8 strength and 0 entrenchment. A couple of the Chinese corps have a litte damage as well. Even though my losses are high, I bank on all the Chinese money going toward repairs, thus keeping him from getting the all important inf. weapons research started. I would say I'm on schedule in China at the moment.

In the west, belgium falls and the Graff Spee makes a port call off the cape of good hope.

@Seamonkey I hope the brits do come, more fodder! If I were allied, the morale hit would not entice me to lose British units.

p.s. if someone can tell me how to do screen shots, I can start including them.

Hey carverrt, get those two Chinese armies in the build Q and leave them there for opportune placements. Now keep a reserve in the Q all the time, corps, armies, whatever. Research anti-air and advanced air and build a fighter when you get a chance.

Neutralized Jap air will allow the Chinese to survive as I'm sure your opponent is building & researching TAC air.

December 24th turn.

The Chinese retreat! Quite unexpected from Caverrt. With my limited mobility, I can't chase, and with Chengchow a ghost town, nothing in range of my carriers. I move in. At the end of the turn, Chengchow "survivors" appear, a free army! Not sure that makes sense, since, I did not destroy the army in Chengchow. Nice little trick for a free army, will have to remember that.

In the west, I amphib and take Denmark and damage one French army outside Paris.

@Seamonkey: interesting research advice, the opposite of what I would expect. Most players go for inf weapons and industry with China.

Hello ^^ ,

@ david12345

Following my PM about how to take screens.

I resized the pics because it's just to show you but if you want bigger ones just select "don't resize" in the "redimension" scroll options :) .

For screens here is with "miniature for forum" link:

(just click on the pic to get a bigger view)

thumbs_Kwai184.jpg

And here is with "image" link:

Kwai184.jpg

And last but not least without resizing:

Kwai40b.jpg

Hope to see screens of yours soon ;) .

Be careful now carverrt as this may be a case where the player knows more than the coach!;)

And david, don't need IW right away as you have the terrain on your side, just let those Chinese entrench, and industry????, it's no good if you can't survive long enough for the benefit. Ground units in the Q give you flexibility above and beyond the on map unit maneuvering, MPPs better spent early, IMO.:)

January 1940. Bad luck for Caverrt, my japanese get quite lucky and now have inf. weapons level 2. I did have 2 chits there, but still, that is very fast.

In France, I take out one army.

Here is my first attempt at a screenshot. I used print screen and captured it with paint. I used an attachment. Got a red bar that looks like it will quickly run out if I keep doing this. Thanx to strategy clay for the idea, but instead of using a host for the pic, I uploaded it (lazy and don't have an account with any of those picture sites).

Curious if I will run out of room soon and won't be about to do this???

post-19303-141867623993_thumb.jpg

The BEF is fully deployed in France and General Montgomery is appointed commander.

The snow fall slows German attacks and the loss of a French Army hurts. If the Allies can hold out long enough UK and Canadian Tanks will challenge the Panzers.

In China just looking for survival strategies.

This is a good example of why research in IW should follow Big Al's philosophy of more levels with a .5 increment per advance. IMO IW should not max out before 1943.

I agree. I have complained a few times here, but I guess since most my games are mirror and it works for both sides then it does even out.

That said, just about every game has Jets on both sides by mid 1943, and that's just one example.

March 1940. My Japanese do some safe attacking, waiting for motorization research to hit.

In Europe, it appears the Allies are planning to take out the italian fleet. I send all my ships to port and keep the Germans from moving next to Paris in the hope that next turn I can take them out without them getting a turn to attack the italian fleet. The Germans manage to take out a French Army and a British corps with minimal losses.

Fail. At the end of the turn, the Italians join. Thought if I stayed away from Paris they would hold off. This could cost me.

Usually at the Italian entry I have all the navy in the Adriatic Sea, blocking the entrance with the sub and DD and covering them with fighters. Deploy anti-naval aircraft in the vicinity to target only the RN, priority on the CVs. If the Allies make a go for it with their CVs, it may be a good time to break your uboats out into the Atlantic using your starting Atlantic uboat and the Graf Spee to help.

April 40. Japan now at 75% motorization.

Germans kill a French army. I make a big mistake and move an Italian crusier out of port, he runs into the French. Happy birthday, Carverrt. The Italian sub hits for 1 on a Brit BB.

@Seamonkey: It is tough to block the adriatic sea. Since the patch neutral ships now pass through each other.

Eeek! That's right david, forgot about it, need to start playing with the new patch.:o So now the French and RN can just camp out in the Adriatic till the DoW, but are trapped after that. Seems like only a move for the French player as I wouldn't want my RN caught in the cauldron.

It seems only air covered ports for the Regia is the primary choice. I'd like to see them being able to navigate through the Suez and Gibraltar straits until the DoW and we could save those east African units.:)

May 1940. Poor turn for Axis. Lost that crusier, Japanese can't kill a corps, and my germans throw everything at paris, but can't take it. Should have done a screen shot, but forgot. Paris has a 1 strength tank left.

good news, Japanese progress towards motorization is very close. I'm almost sure to get it before the summer is out.

Another point, motorization should not be a tech category. You want an oil parameter? The amount of oil resources dictate the number of motorized/mechanized ground units you are allowed to build. Now you can have a Chinese campaign with the historical constraints.

June 40. France falls. Heavy losses for Germans, but no units were killed. Allies wisely get most of the British out of the country, was hoping they would stick around and get trapped.

In the med, the british press me and I attack. I had put some extra air down there because the allies were so active and it paid off. I get a DD and a BB. I get greedy and try to get a carrier as well, running into the french again. Will be interesting to see the allied response, push harder, or back off?

At beginning of turn, the Japanese are at 96% motorization, so I sell one of the chits. At the end of the turn, it hits. A couple turns to upgrade, then I'm coming. I finally get the corps in the north that I have been attacking every turn.