game bug or realistic?

Results: My observations are correct. The tanks in the shot are from left (no damage) to right in damage color rating with the winner being the tank on the far left with no damage (bright green). To his right is dark green or (-1), right of him is yellow or (-2), and in last place is orange or (-3). Red couldn’t compete because that means immobilized. I ran the race between the two roads, which was about 400m, on FAST three times with the results being the same. No damage winner. There is also a noticeable difference with each damage rating in the amount of time it takes them to FACE. No doubt each damage color rating effects both speed, and the time it takes for the tank to face.

race.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now we can have tank races with gambling. Tank Tote.

Yeah, the funny thing is I changed all the soldier names to call signs and nicknames for a bit more personality. The winner was nice little philly out of Detroit named “Stinger” with “Rambo” coming in last. My $ was on “Stinger” all the way.

The only thing is you know there would be track damage rigging, so that blows the whole idea right there as far as the whole Combat Mission Kentucky Derby goes ;)

So going over a wooden fence or over a hedge can damage tank tracks, and this damage affects it's speed and mobility. I think it's not right and I hope it will be corrected some day, that different kinds of obstacles would do different kind/amount of damage to different kind of vehicles. Is it possible to get a yellow or orange damage from going over hedges/fences/walls ? Or only dark green ?

So going over a wooden fence or over a hedge can damage tank tracks, and this damage affects it's speed and mobility. I think it's not right and I hope it will be corrected some day, that different kinds of obstacles would do different kind/amount of damage to different kind of vehicles. Is it possible to get a yellow or orange damage from going over hedges/fences/walls ? Or only dark green ?

SO WHAT, TAKE AWAY THE DAMAGE SO TANKS CAN RUN OVER ANYTHING, ANYWHERE WITHOUT WORRIES. That is not realistic either.

The amount of damge the tank is getting in the game is minimal, if the player has any sence, it should not impact him. But it prevents the unrealistic use of armor mowing everything down for some purpose that is gamey.

Maybe it is not perfect, but it was added to remind players that there is risk in going through obstacles and that they should choose to do it when neccesary (not whenever because tanks are immune)

I have a different opinion on why track damage was done this way. But will not write it, because I would be eaten alive.

Going trough a wooden fence (and even some other soft obstacles) is not a risk for a tank tracks. And many times it would be more dangerous to drive around such an obstacle, getting into prepared ambush... Off-road and going trough obstacles are actually advantages of the tanks. It's not wise to drive trough EVERYTHING, possibly damaging something (not necessarily the tracks), but this is an advantage of a tank and should be used sometimes.

To the testers: thank you for bringing facts to this discussion.

Okay, so we now know, from akd's postings, that a King Tiger can go through 350m of barbed wire fences before it gets so entangled with wire that it cannot move. That "feels" right.

We also know that top speed is affected by the color of the track status. That makes sense to me as well.

Now, looking out my window, my neighbor has an artsy split rail fence. If I lean on it, it'll fall over. It provides neither cover nor concealment. I would contend, that in game terms, it doesn't exist. In other words, this is NOT the fence I see in CMBN. The CMBN fences are, in my mind, strongly built, deeply sunk, cattle-proof fences. The kind that would total your car if you hit it.

That's where my head is when I play the game.

Ken

The graphics in CMBN are much better than in CMx1, less abstracted. If in game I see a detailed graphics of a wooded fence, so I imagine just the same type of wooden fence. If it was intended to be a solid, concrete-underpined fence with steel or concrete columns, then it would be visualised as such with graphics. There are other graphics of brick and concrete walls which are more solid obstacles. If the fence is visualised as a wooden fence, I assume it's wooden just as shown and no tank would have any trouble with driving trough it or over it.

Quite a lot of seemingly frail looking fences in fields near where I am in Devon - a bit bocage like in places with sunken roads still so narrow you couldn't turn a bicycle - have a er.. lost the thread... ah yes ..(!)... barbed wire strands as well, so if you went through it without cutting the wire by hand first, you would have fifty yards of wire pulling on fence posts and bars.

I once worked with an old WWII veteran who, after YEARS of intense jungle fighting in the Pacific decided he didn't really want to die for his country after all. He was his unit's maintenance man for the Stuart light tank on the side. So whenever he got word of a coming patrol he'd go up to his CO and tell him he wanted to give the Stuart a test run as a maintenance check. The slightest incline, the smallest patch of sand, a well-practiced left turn and - Oops! Threw a track! Sorry guys, I can't go out on patrol with you. I have to stay behind and repair the darned track again. He lived to see VJ Day. The moral to my tale is these metal monsters were actually far more delicate than they seem. A minor mishap, and unpracticed driver, and unseen obstacle can ruin your whole day.

Did he mention using wooden fences to throw tracks ? ;)

Please don't get this too serious :). I have my own opinion about this model of damage and about tanks vs wooden fences ;) and will defend it, but it's not a game breaking issue :).

Did he mention using wooden fences to throw tracks ? ;)

Please don't get this too serious :). I have my own opinion about this model of damage and about tanks vs wooden fences ;) and will defend it, but it's not a game breaking issue :).

The real question, Amizaur, is: How did they get that giant "This is Russia" flag in?:D

Now, looking out my window, my neighbor has an artsy split rail fence. If I lean on it, it'll fall over. It provides neither cover nor concealment. I would contend, that in game terms, it doesn't exist. In other words, this is NOT the fence I see in CMBN. The CMBN fences are, in my mind, strongly built, deeply sunk, cattle-proof fences. The kind that would total your car if you hit it.

That's where my head is when I play the game.

Ken

Whilst I admire your imagining of fences it seems to indicate that you are not familiar with Normandy fencing/hedging. Firstly wooden fences would actually be rare in comparison to bank and hedge, or for that matter stone. Both last considerably longer, as in many decades/centuries, than wood and are more robust.

If you kept multiple horses then perhaps some wooden fence but generally it was rare stuff - and not in any way likely to defeat even a 1930's car ... well possibly an Austin 7, or a Topolino, Peugeot 201 ....

Cattle, man, I said "cattle". Holstein, spotted termidors, whatever. The ones in Normandy which, at one point, stood on their hooves and weren't hideously bloated with clouds of flies swarming them. Before that. When they mooed. And moved. Aye, I've seen plenty of John Wayne films, so I imagine I know what cow-proof wood fence must be like. Aye. ;) Cattle, not horses.

Ken

The real question, Amizaur, is: How did they get that giant "This is Russia" flag in?:D

Have no idea :D but the flag was superb :). I live in Gdansk, we have Ireland-Spain match today on our stadium, and multiple trains with thousands of Irish and Spanish fans are going right beside my window right now :).

Unless they're trying to discommode their rider... Not that that has anything to do with what they're corralled with.

Discommode? What kind of obsolete word is that to confuse our foreign friends with. This game is set in WW2 not horse and musket era.

Did the Russians discommode the Poles with that flag?

Ah, but was it a lummox which did the flummoxing?

(Frankly, the bovine vs. equine issues are NOT getting the attention they deserve. What about proper precautions against mad-cow disease? How is your puny fence going to stop a herd of zombie cows? Yeah, I didn't think so. That's why those Norman farmers were made of sterner stuff... ;) )

• 2 weeks later...
Ah, but was it a lummox which did the flummoxing?

(Frankly, the bovine vs. equine issues are NOT getting the attention they deserve. What about proper precautions against mad-cow disease? How is your puny fence going to stop a herd of zombie cows? Yeah, I didn't think so. That's why those Norman farmers were made of sterner stuff... ;) )

And built fences that could wreck a Tiger. :D