Questions regarding campaign-making

Hi guys. I am quite familiar with the first Combat Mission series during WWII and have tried Afghanistan. Iit's okay but I would like to know some things that are not answered in the manual:

1. I am planning to, sometimes, have battles on one map during an entire day and realize that craters, bodies and the destruction are not transfered to the same map when replayed. I wanna know if there is any way to overcome this drawback?

2. Bridges are unavailable and I really don't know how such an important element is not available in the editor. Maybe I can download bridges somewhere?

3. There is no weather or weathereffect. I see rain and snow but they are unavailable at any date. No weather mod out I guess?

4. I wish to blend Afghani forces with Soviet forces. For example; I want Afghani companies and Soviet companies under the command of the Soviet Battalion HQ.

5. What I miss is the oputunity to decide what forces you wanna use in battle before a battle starts during the campaign. Much like in the old Close Combat series. Is there a mod to implement this feature or any possible way to include. Because as an high officer you don't only command troops but also decide what troops you want in combat for a particular battle and what forces have to rest, repair, replenish and so on. I guess this feature is to complicated to implement?

6. Possibility to create profiles. I wish to create a profile in game and this profile with the different characteristics is represented as the highest HQ unit during battles in the campaing. If this unit dies the campaing instantly ends.

Hi guys. I am quite familiar with the first Combat Mission series during WWII and have tried Afghanistan. Iit's okay but I would like to know some things that are not answered in the manual:

1. I am planning to, sometimes, have battles on one map during an entire day and realize that craters, bodies and the destruction are not transfered to the same map when replayed. I wanna know if there is any way to overcome this drawback?

2. Bridges are unavailable and I really don't know how such an important element is not available in the editor. Maybe I can download bridges somewhere?

3. There is no weather or weathereffect. I see rain and snow but they are unavailable at any date. No weather mod out I guess?

4. I wish to blend Afghani forces with Soviet forces. For example; I want Afghani companies and Soviet companies under the command of the Soviet Battalion HQ.

5. What I miss is the oputunity to decide what forces you wanna use in battle before a battle starts during the campaign. Much like in the old Close Combat series. Is there a mod to implement this feature or any possible way to include. Because as an high officer you don't only command troops but also decide what troops you want in combat for a particular battle and what forces have to rest, repair, replenish and so on. I guess this feature is to complicated to implement?

6. Possibility to create profiles. I wish to create a profile in game and this profile with the different characteristics is represented as the highest HQ unit during battles in the campaing. If this unit dies the campaing instantly ends.

Hi DeeYay,

1. Only get around is to create a series of identical campaign maps with craters and ruins added incrementally.

2. No bridges unfortunately. I do not know why as they were in CM:SF.

3.No. Mods are only allowed for graphics, nothing 'under the hood'.

4. No blending though this is allowed in CM:BN. Probably historically accurate in Afghan War.

5.No. See 3 ^^

6. You can assign units as objectives with point values. If the unit is killed the opponent gets x amount of points. Not sure if this can be used in branching campaigns though?

Hi DeeYay,

1. Only get around is to create a series of identical campaign maps with craters and ruins added incrementally.

2. No bridges unfortunately. I do not know why as they were in CM:SF.

3.No. Mods are only allowed for graphics, nothing 'under the hood'.

4. No blending though this is allowed in CM:BN. Probably historically accurate in Afghan War.

5.No. See 3 ^^

6. You can assign units as objectives with point values. If the unit is killed the opponent gets x amount of points. Not sure if this can be used in branching campaigns though?

While this is mostly correct, I do feel the need to note that bridges were not in CM:SF--they were a new feature added in CM:BN. There were no bridges in any CMx2 game at the time of CM:A's development and release. You can, however, make fake bridges with roads and low stone walls. The only problems with these is that you can't really blow them up, as they're part of the terrain mesh, and that they don't let units pass under them.

Unfortunately though CM:A is well done and I like it- it was made by a russian company (snowball) that BFC licensed the engine too. This means expansions are unlikely, as is any further support or patches. Honestly we're lucky we got the patches we did, and Im glad I live in America and got the US version, I guess the Russian version wont work with the patches!

While this is mostly correct, I do feel the need to note that bridges were not in CM:SF--they were a new feature added in CM:BN. There were no bridges in any CMx2 game at the time of CM:A's development and release. You can, however, make fake bridges with roads and low stone walls. The only problems with these is that you can't really blow them up, as they're part of the terrain mesh, and that they don't let units pass under them.

Thanks for the correction Field Marshal. The CMx2 series are like watercolours on blotting paper, over time one forgets what is in which!

Can campaigns be branched on the elimination of a specific unit?

Thanks for the correction Field Marshal. The CMx2 series are like watercolours on blotting paper, over time one forgets what is in which!

Can campaigns be branched on the elimination of a specific unit?

Sadly, not unless the win conditions of a given scenario depend on the elimination of that unit and only on the elimination of that unit. :(

Is it possible to have different attributes rather than victory or defeat to proceed to the next battle. I was thinking if its possible to have the game selcet a different map for Total Victory, Minor Victory, Draw respectively and such instead?

• 2 months later...

Hi again. I am working on this campaing and I am not completely satisfied about how the reinforcement appear. As for now I have tested several battles and sometimes it goes well and sometimes it goes bad, depending on what battleplan the AI chooses.

To make my question short... is it possible to deploy reinforcements depending on objectives, not only by time. I want to give the player reinforcements if he does not manage to capture a certain point after, lets say, 1 hour for example.

Hi again. I am working on this campaing and I am not completely satisfied about how the reinforcement appear. As for now I have tested several battles and sometimes it goes well and sometimes it goes bad, depending on what battleplan the AI chooses.

To make my question short... is it possible to deploy reinforcements depending on objectives, not only by time. I want to give the player reinforcements if he does not manage to capture a certain point after, lets say, 1 hour for example.

Basically, no. Time is the only trigger for reinforcement arrival. A lot of us are hoping that other triggers for reinforcements as well as AI plan movements will be implemented in future releases.