Sign in to follow this  
Paddler

Norton 360 and CW

Just installed CW and when I go to the campagain section, the CW campaigns appear but they are in grey and it says that I "need to install Commonwealth Forces."

I have heard this is a common problem with Norton 360....can anyone help (without getting rid of Norton!)? CMBN and CMSF all work fine.

Thanks

Paddler

You need to go into your Norton controls and 'restore' the Commonwealth executable file ('CMN Commonwealth Module.exe'). I believe, but I don't really know, that in the same area where you perform a 'restore' you can also add an 'exception' so that the file/directory doesn't get tagged again. You may want to do this with all of the CMBN executables (in case a future 'signature' update decides the files are infected).

I had the same problem with Norton, both for CM and then CW. As S said, you can restore the executable (which gets quarantined) through Norton. If you can get to the history of what Norton has done ( I don't remember off hand how), look for quarantined files. Then you have the option to restore. And you need to tell Norton the file is ok, again I don't remember how this was done.

Hope this helps. Doug

Yeah, Norton shows no love for us. For some reason their programs are the only ones that keep acting up, even though we're playing by the book to signal their software that our encrypted stuff is legit. Including supplying a digital signature which shows that Battlefront is the publisher, without a doubt.

Here is a copy of an article from our Knowledgebase at www.battlefront.com/helpdesk about Norton:

Article

Norton 360 is known to create various problems when attempting to download encrypted software. Below are several steps submitted by one of our customers that may help others to avoid problems with Norton 360.

First, set up a download folder for the game and an install folder for when it has downloaded.

Then go to the Norton 360 menu screen and click:

Settings

Antivirus

Scans and Risks

Under "Items to exclude from scans" click configure

Click Add and then browse the install and apply it. Do the same for the download folder

Under "Items to exclude from Auto-Protect and SONAR Detection" click configure

Click Add and then browse the install and apply it. Do the same for the download folder

That's it. You can now download and install.

Please consider also reporting this False Positive to Norton, so they can update their definitions and spare you future trouble. You can submit false positives here: https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/

I had just re-installed NORTON 360 after reinstalling WIN7.

Both solutions, restore executable AND make the proper settings are needed when Norton has detected the false positive.

Everything now working for me.

Thanks.

I grew up on Norton when first got into pc's loved norton .. my older brother, who I considered brilliant at the time for some unexplainable bizarre fantasy I had regarding my older sibling this bestowed honor now having been removed and placed into the ashheap of history, enightened me about Norton and so I was sold on it but then upon getting more into Gaming with Pc's right now for me the buzz to use for virus stuff is AVAST its free and is gamer friendly

http://www.avast.com/en-us/free-antivirus-download?cha=ppc&sen=google&ste=adcopy%20free&var=avast%20trial%20page&omcid=G-%20US%20-%20NAM%20-%20Avast%20-%20PS%20-%20Branded%20-%20Free&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=adcopy%20free&utm_content=avast%20trial%20page&utm_campaign=G-%20US%20-%20NAM%20-%20Avast%20-%20PS%20-%20Branded%20-%20Free

But use Norton if you want nothing wrong with that but you have an option with Avast evidentally you ran across my brother at some point and adopted Norton

Sign in to follow this